Meeting Cher | Teen Ink

Meeting Cher

By Lillyloo SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts
Lillyloo SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts

I walked down the hall, I was surprised to see so many statues and paintings along the wall. It was amazing, with light blue walls and lamps suspended on the wall, the shades the shape of a tulip. I gasp at the magnificence of everything and immediately cover my mouth, afraid they might catch me again, and lock me up in an even more confined space than this stupid building. At the end of the hall there was a tiny turn with an old tarnished wood door. I was surprised to find that the door was unlocked and as I swung it open, there was not the expected creak of hinges. It was really dark, and I had no flashlight. I turned around to see if there was anything of use to me, but I tripped an fell, hitting a strange solid black painting. I got worried that I might get in trouble for doing so, but then I saw the bright lights and that there was a flight of stairs leading to a basement.
I slowly tiptoed down the wooden stairs. The brick wall on either side of me seemed old with love notes and drawings on the faded, rust colored bricks. As I tiptoed down the stairs, I could smell the dead, decomposing rat bodies and the dust covered metal. Wait, Metal? Who would keep something as precious as metal in a musty old basement? I reached the bottom of the stairs and saw how vast the space was. Even bigger than the town building above it.
Crickle cricke pop crack. I had heard the sound of someone cracking their knuckles. I quickly grabbed the nearest thing I could use as a weapon and held it up. "Who's there?" I called out. "Who is it?" I cursed under my breath for sounding so desperate. I walked toward the place where I had heard the sound. There were several columns behind which this mystery person could be hiding.
"Yeah, like a pencil can protect you," the voice whispered sarcastically. I called out again, slightly annoyed at the fact that I could've grabbed a wooden sword which was right next to me. The person walked out from behind the brick column to my right, clearly able to tell how annoyed I was.
"What are you doing here!" I asked. I couldn't make out much in the dim light, but looking back on it, he was CUTE! I mean, he had everything a girl wanted, he was strong, but not so much that he seemed scary. High cheekbones, wonderful blue eyes, and dark brown hair. His face seemed determend, but there was a kind of gentleness to it. "Wh-who are you?" I stuttered.
"I could ask you the same question" said the mystery boy.
He then replied, "I'm Cher. You must be curious about America."
"Yeah, how'd you know"
"You were dumb enough to come here, weren't you?"
I was taken aback "I'm not dumb, and, well," I said trying to come up with a good response "you're here. Doesn't that make you dumb to?"
"No."
"Well, can you at least help me figure out some things about America?" I asked.
"I guess." He said "Here's what I know. I know that they had strange metal discs for currency, and I know that the worth of the discs depended on the engraving on them."
"Is there anything else?" I asked eager to know more
"That's all I know for now," he replied, "but if we work together, I know there's more down here."