Welcome to the Witch Hunt | Teen Ink

Welcome to the Witch Hunt

By just_another_girl BRONZE, Helsinki, Other
just_another_girl BRONZE, Helsinki, Other

Two men grabbed me. I tried to break free, but they overpowered me, tightening their grip.
It was moments like those when I wished I could just yell a couple rhymes and knock the men unconscious. Damn, that would have made the situation so much easier.
I was a witch, but magic was a little trickier in the real world, than in it was Harry Potter. There were rules, so many rules that I was surprised there wasn’t a rulebook. Seriously, how did everyone remember them?
The most important rule was the cost of magic. Magic was a type of energy, and some scientist had once discovered that energy could not be created or destroyed, only changed in form. Except, magic was a bit different, for example, I couldn’t make the suns rays into magic, bummer.
Magic already existed everywhere, and all witches had to do was extract the magic from substances. It was actually a nuisance, since to do a simple levitation spell - which only worked on small objects – I needed to go outside and get bark from an oak tree. Now, if I wanted to do something bigger, like change my hair color, I would need go out and get a tiger’s tooth. Truthfully, it was much easier, and cheaper, to go to salon.
Now, there were quicker ways of getting large amounts of energy, but those were even less orthodox as a tiger’s tooth. The quickest way to extract large amounts of magic was to kill somebody, yep, way to go magic.
I lunged forward, trying yet again to break free, but I was unsuccessful. The men were too strong.
“Elena Sarova, we have received new that you plan to murder Adeline Thompson this evening. You are guilty until proven innocent, and under arrest.” One of the men said, his voice hoarse.
Yep, in the witch world you could get arrested for things you haven’t even done yet, and you were guilt until proven innocent, fun Whoever planned the witch legal system as a total moron. There are absolutely no plot holes in being guilt until proven innocent, like why do we even need trials?
“A court session will decide whether we wish to rehabilitate you, or strip your powers. Rest assured, murder is no small deed.” The other man said in monotone, probably reciting protocol in his head.
“Did my sister tell you that? Anna is going to kill Adeline! She’s my best friend! Why would I kill her?” I screamed at the top of my lungs, hoping someone would hear. “Anna’s a murderer!”
They didn’t listen to me. Instead they dragged me to the front door. I saw them reach for an artifact to create a portal. I knew that was my only chance to escape.
Luckily, my Amur leopard claw necklace was touching my skin. Otherwise I would have been screwed. Sometimes, being slightly paranoid was a good thing.
Frantically, I looked around the room, trying to figure out what my next move was. I only had one shot, and after that, the claw would lose it’s magic, so there was no room for mistakes.
My eye caught a vase, and I used my mind to slowly lift the vase into the air. In a matter of seconds the vase hit one of the men in the head, hard, and broke into a million little shards. The other man was shocked, giving me just enough time to start sprinting.
The adrenaline rushed through my veins, making me run faster than I had in my entire life. I didn’t know where I was going, but I knew whom I was trying to catch.
Anna was in for a world of trouble.

Elena, a sixteen year old girl, who just can't stop being sarcastic, and and did I mention she's a witch? Yeah, there's that too. In this story, you get a little tatse of her world, and her problems.

on Dec. 12 2014 at 3:54 pm
WOWriting SILVER, Broadstairs, Other
Sorry 4 bad spelling and spacing, im on my phone and my views a bit dodgy xx meant 'adrenaline-pumped' and 'brilliant and' not are whoops...

on Dec. 12 2014 at 3:52 pm
WOWriting SILVER, Broadstairs, Other
Suchgood, adrenakine-pumpe descriptions, a bit randomto add the explanation of witches rules halfway thru. I find this spoils the tension and i think u could have revealed thekilling fact slowly throughout. However, the ideas are brilliant are you ur writing is great! Xx

on Dec. 11 2014 at 6:16 pm
Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

This is really good :) I like your descriptions and the plot, it was very well-thought out. Keep writing, you'll be famous one day ^_^

on Dec. 11 2014 at 2:40 pm
sassyunicorn BRONZE, Chatham, Other

'If you can imagine it, you can achieve it, if you can dream it you can become it':William Arthur Ward

Awesome I love magic stories!

LuVis said...
on Dec. 11 2014 at 2:44 am
LuVis, Helsinki, Other
WHY........