Not All Monsters | Teen Ink

Not All Monsters

By foreverthefreakgirl BRONZE, Ashland, Ohio
foreverthefreakgirl BRONZE, Ashland, Ohio

It had been two and a half years since she had seen the sky. Roughly that is. The white concrete of the walls devoid of decorastion or windows didnt allow for much of an approximation of time. 

There was just a flat, hard cot, and a flourescant light that never weant out and was too high to reach.

Occasionally some scientists would come an inject her with something. Not the Omniserum, of course. The law said that they couldn't inject her aginst her will. As far as she knew. The law could have changed. 

You must never ever let your gurd down. You must never relax, not even for a minute.

The Omniserum. It was supposed to be the saviour of humanity, pretecting them from the evil diseases of emotion and individuality, leaving them shells, mindless robots to serve those in power.

Every time the scientists asked to inject her and she said no, the head scientist wouls get angry and instruct an Omni to beat her. The dull eyes were lifeless as hit her, ignoring her screams, not caring at all that they were beating a starved little girl

She would rather die than become one.

She knew it was over when the head scientist came in with a huge smile on his face. "Hello, sweetie. Are you ready to be perfected?"

"Go screw yourself," snarled the girl.

The sicentist beckoned to his Omni, who who slapped the girl hard. "Such insubordination! We need look no further than to witness the atrocities of the disease. I have good news, my diseased little one."

"You're going to jump off a cliff?"

The scientist shook his head. "So tragic, the waste the disease creates. This must be corrected. We must purify it!"

"I am not an it!"

"Not for much longer ." The scientist chuckled. "I oculd use a little Omni. You could work at my house." His smile left no doubt as to what he had planned.

He didn't smile when the girl smashed his nose witth his fist and took off through the open door. Her feet pounded as she ran through the hall. She could barely run, but adrenaline surged through her body. She realized she'd never get past the Omni guards outside of the compound, but ifshe could just get past the door and feel a ray of sunshine again, she could die happy.

Ten yards. Seven. Three.

Her hand brushed the cool metal of the door before she was yanked away and thrown against the wall.

"You filthy beast!" screamed the scientist and he shook her so her head banged against the wall. The girl shrieked in terror at the fury in his eyes.

He reached in his pocket and pulled out a scalpel. "Under the law, you are a runaway Diseased and I can use whatever methods necessary to bring you back." 

The girl screamed until there was blood in her mouth, but the madman wouldnt stop, just slice after slice, cutting through her skin and her hospital gown, until a soliatary prick at her shoulder.

The scientist howled and pulled the needle out, but it was too late. 

The girl's chest heaves, fighting the oblivion that threatens to end her. Her arms were bleeding, but she couldn't feel anything.

She saw the Omni still holding part of the needle being attacked by the scientisht. She saw him mouth words, but she couldn't tell what.

Darkness.