Releasing Xiphos | Teen Ink

Releasing Xiphos

November 20, 2014
By starforcebigbang SILVER, Beijing, Other
starforcebigbang SILVER, Beijing, Other
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world sucks a lot because there's war and terrorism and death, and we humans have to suffer through all of it. But it's also very beautiful because of the perseverance in humans, who will always fight even after time's end.


     The empty, grey halls were hauntingly quiet, with only my footsteps breaking the silence.

     I advanced, holding a binder stuffed with old, yellowing paper documents. I was reading one manifest, and was shocked by its contents.

     September 12th, 2014: Power. That is what we need. Our laboratory has embarked on a quest - to create the ultimate weapon. A vessel has been chosen - a girl whose kindness will be scorned, so that she may despair and hate the world, allowing her to destroy through rage. That girl’s name is…

     The rest of the document was faded, but despite the lack of information, I knew who the girl in the document was.

     I pulled out another record and began reading, continuing down the hallway.

     September 15th, 2014: Results are satisfactory. After containing the girl, she has gradually grown depressed, which will hopefully turn into anger and rage. A notable observation is that she constantly speaks of a boy she knew prior to containment, and always asks to see him. That boy’s name is…

     “That’s me,” I whispered. “She wanted to see me.”

     I reached the end of the hallway and stood before a metal door, with a warning written in crimson letters:

     Turn back.

     I stared at the messy writing before stepping close to the door and taking a whiff, and stepped back from the metallic scent.

     “Blood.”

     Although the nerves within my body screamed at me to turn around and run, I steeled myself to continue.

     “I want to see her.” I reached out and pressed a button on the wall.

     With a hiss, the door rose from the ground, and I stepped forwards.

...

     I entered a white circular room with a high ceiling. The walls were divided into seemingly infinite squares and emitted bright light. I was blinded for a second and covered my eyes before lowering my arm.

     A girl stood in the middle of the room.

     She was practically the definition of the word “pure." Clad in a white dress, donning pale skin and with golden hair that seemed woven from sunlight, she looked like an angel who had descended from paradise.

     I recognized this girl - she was my closest friend.

     I stepped forwards to reunite with my old friend from so long ago, overjoyed at the thought of being together again -

     The air shifted, as if a beast had awoken and was hungry for death.

     I stopped as the girl rose her hands outwards, and a red aura emanated from her body. Cuts opened on her palms, and as she bled, the blood began to float around her fingers in a liquid stream.

     I was shocked at the otherworldly phenomenon, and had no time to react when -

     She snapped her arms forward, directing the blood at me as it formed into a large, red hand, which reached forwards and grabbed my left arm.

     With an awful tearing sound, my arm was ripped off of my body, and blood spurted out like a red geyser.

     Pain. Unimaginable pain, that felt as if my side was being stabbed by a needles, torn apart by bullets, and scarred away by a power drill.

     I screamed.

     As I dropped onto my knees and grabbed my side, the binder of documents fell onto the floor, and a single sheet of paper fell out.

     September 26th, 2014: The experiment failed. The girl’s anger cannot be  directed at desired targets. She kills any entity that approaches her. She has been locked away with top security. The only way to nullify her power would be to channel her hatred into someone who possesses a strong relationship with her, as they would understand her feelings and properly control them. We’ve failed.

    Lightheaded due to excessive blood loss, I didn’t notice the sudden movement until I was smashed against the wall, within the grip of the blood-formed hand. The girl advanced, one arm directing the hand that grasped me, while her other arm began to bleed and she formed the blood into a long blade, which she thrust into my stomach, impaling me and pinning me to the wall.

     As I could feel my stomach punctured, I cried out, unable to fight the pain. The pain was so great that I desired to die right then so it would all be over so I wouldn’t have to suffer.

     But as I hung from the wall, bloodied, beaten, and dying, I still had one last desire.

     The girl held her hands above her head, forming an enormous sphere of blood, preparing to destroy me. And despite the animosity I saw in her eyes, I still felt a single emotion for her.

     “Hey,” I croaked.

     “We were friends,” I continued.

     “I understood you. Whenever you laughed, or whenever you wept. And when you were happy being my friend.”

     The sphere in her hands continued to grow in size, and she was unrelenting to destroy me.

     “So I can probably take those hateful feelings of yours because I understand you,” I finished.

     As the girl began to scream with rage, I reached out and pulled her into a single-armed embrace, feeling an intense feeling of warmth in the last moment of my life. I could feel her intense feelings of hatred pouring into me, but I suppressed them as we pulled apart, and I said:

     “I love you.”

     And everything was over.

     I awoke in a large, circular room that was white like snow. I only knew that I wore a white dress, my skin was pale, and my hair was gold.

     My eyes saw a doorway that led to a grey hallway. Seeing no other option, I stood up and began walking.

     But I turned around, sensing a presence - for an instant, I saw a boy who smiled, and then was gone.

     Although I was confused, I suddenly felt happiness swell in my chest as I realized someone watched over me.

     So I said:

     “Thank you.”