The Discarded Dream | Teen Ink

The Discarded Dream

By john.l SILVER, Katonah, New York
john.l SILVER, Katonah, New York

"We' all soldiers in God's eyes" -Tupac Shakur

There was once an old sailor, who held great passion for the wonderful sea. He would pour his dreams out into it every evening before sleeping in the finest part of his boat: the bow. He watched the orange sunset every night only to see it rise again through his closed eyes the next morning. He waited each day for an adventure to come his way. As sailing was his life, never would he expect to encounter an experience such as that on September 18th. It was no more than an hour passed midnight, and he was pouring nightly dreams out the bow of the ship, like any other night. Out of nowhere came a loud boom of thunder. This wasn’t just any thunder, this was enough thunder to shake the entire ocean. Groggily awakening from his slumber, the sailor attempted to stand, only to be thrown back to the ground by the shaking. He gripped the edge of the rocking boat with his shaky, wrinkly hand. His bones crackled as the boat rocked. Suddenly, water from the ocean began flying up towards the sky, as if it were about to form something. The dark water, a reflection of the night sky soon turned into what looked like a door. The old sailor squinted his eyes, still in disbelief of an event that caused his heart to race for the first time in years. Then, out of the water-formed door came a beautiful woman. This woman was stunning, she looked like an angel. The sailor stared into this angel’s beautiful sky blue eyes for a long minute. Suddenly, she opened her mouth, wide. Wider than what seemed humanly possible. Instantly, a water snake flew out of the angel’s mouth, heading straight for the sailor. The sailor let out a gasp and immediately found himself in battle with this snake. The snake bit into the sailor’s neck. Flinching in pain, as blood stained the wood floors of the boat, the sailor threw the now limp snake back into the water. The sailor now found himself in a state of extreme thirst. He looked at the dark blue water, praying that somehow it would make its way into his body. Out of nowhere, a white albatross flew onto the ship. Prepared to fight the albatross like he fought the snake, the sailor put his fists up. Before he could begin to fight, the angel came back. She stared the sailor directly in the eyes, except this time there was a tear down her cheek. Still suffering from thirst, it occurred to the sailor that this was the end. He reminisced silently about his life which now seemed too short. He believed he had made great peace with nature and it was now time for him to leave the earth. He then fell to the ground. The sailor had always imagined what death felt like. It has now become a reality. However, it was different. Within seconds, what appeared to be an entire ocean of water had flown over the sailor. After a brief blackout, the sailor opened his eyes catching his breath. He wondered to himself if he was in heaven or hell. As it turned out, he was back on Earth. But this was different. The sailor hadn’t been reincarnated, this was life-in-death. The water soon turned a deathly red color. All pain the sailor had experienced was banished. He no longer suffered the great thirst, and his limbs felt brand new. Then, the new formed red water began to form into a door, like it had before. Except this time, from the other side of the door emerged a horribly ugly creature. The sailor observed that this was everybody’s perception of the devil. This is when he realized he was experiencing the living dead. Out of the devil’s mouth came the same water snake from before, except this snake was red. Then, the albatross came back, and following the same pattern, was red. This time, instead of suffering thirst, the sailor soon felt as if he was drowning. Suddenly, he felt what seemed like an entire ocean come out of his mouth uncontrollably. Then, he experienced another black out. Once he awoke, nothing more was to be seen. The angel, devil, albatross and snake were all gone. The sailor returned to his state of back pain and shaky limbs. The ship became dry and the ocean had returned to the state that the sailor came to know and love: once again, beautiful and peaceful. The sailor only had one memory of that night's’ events: a red feather of which the second albatross had shed. The sailor, in an attempt to forget what he just experienced, threw the feather into the never ending ocean. It was then that he realized, this was just another night where he poured his dreams into the ocean. His ocean.

Just something I put together for English class where the topic was to be about a mariner. This is my first supernatural work. Haven't posted in a while, may start posting soon. Thanks!