Just Another Fallen Snowflake | Teen Ink

Just Another Fallen Snowflake

By R.D.Bookworm SILVER, Moundsview, Minnesota
R.D.Bookworm SILVER, Moundsview, Minnesota

I saw her once. I watched her dance in the fresh fallen snow. She twirled and spun, as if she were dancing with the snowflakes as they fell gracefully from the sky. She was an extremely graceful dancer almost like a ballerina. Her hair was long and appeared to be as white as the snow itself. Her eyes were the brightest blue I’ve ever seen and they sparkled like stars. Her dress was a thousand different shades of blue and white with cotton trim on the edges. She wore boots with fluffy cotton edges and a puff ball on the ends of the strings. She also wore a snowflake shaped clip in her hair. She looked my age, 15 years old. I watched her almost every night as if a spell was cast upon me.

Once the sun began to rise she always scampered off into the forest and disappeared. In the morning when I would search for proof that she really had been there I never found any footprints in the snow. Could she just be a figment of my imagination? My sister said she has seen her though. “Josh, go to sleep!” yelled my mother angrily. With a startled gasp I fell backwards from the window. Quickly I got back onto my feet grabbed the curtains and closed them. I smoothed my blonde hair back into place and sat on the edge of my bed not feeling tired. Slowly I relaxed and let myself fall backward onto my bed and stretched out my arms. I stared up at the ceiling listening to the silence of the night.   

Gradually I let my eye lids close as I drifted off to sleep. Thud! The door down stairs slammed close. “Huh?” I jumped to my feet both startled and confused.  Flinging the curtains to the window in my room open I gazed out to the sparkling snow. There in bright pink my little seven year old sister ran across the snow to the forest with her golden blonde pig tails flying behind her.  “Savannah…” I mumbled under my breath angrily.   

Grabbing my parka I rushed down the stairs sliding across the polished wood floors. I then shoved on my boots and scrambled outside stumbling over my own feet as I ran after the pink blur that ran in front of me. My breath rolled up through the crisp winter air. The silence that circled the forest made it so that I could only hear the sound of my breath and the thunder in my chest that was my heart beat. The pink dot in the distance seemed to be miles away now. “Savannah! Savannah!” I shouted as I wiped the melted snow off my face and the pink blur vanished deep into the blizzard that had begun. I held my arms up in attempt to shield my face from the snow's frosty bite.  Having  to run faster and faster to catch up, I instead tripped on a tree root that was hidden beneath the snow. “Whoa!” I shouted as I fell face first into the snow. Standing up and brushing off the melting snow I continued through the forest. With a shiver I wrapped my arms around myself trying to block out the cold. After a five second pause to realize that I was lost I wandered onward.   

Light seeped gently though my eye lids. Opening my eye lids I had to squint to see in the blinding light reflected off of the fresh layer of snow. Sitting up memories of last night flooded back into my mind. I jolted up all my thoughts filled with concern and worry for Savannah. Desperately I searched for any sign of my younger sister; unfortunately there was nothing due to the blizzard.  Crunch! Clop! Crunch!  “Horses,” I mumbled under my breath. ‘ There must be people nearby. Maybe they can help!’ the thought popped into mind. “Hey! Hey, you there!” I began running to the sound of the horses trotting through the snow. “H-” Without warning an ice-cold hand covered my mouth. The stranger began to drag me back behind a group of trees. Struggling to free myself from the strangers grip I jabbed them in the stomach with my elbow. Unexpectedly they stumbled backwards a bit and let me go. Quickly I spun around planning on kicking the person to give me time to flee, but when I saw who it was I gasped.