One hell of a day | Teen Ink

One hell of a day

By Kissmyashh BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Kissmyashh BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

I’m here lying down, dreading to do my homework; trying to think of what to write but really I’m just dozing off; listening to “Say (all I need)” by one republic. Not realizing what’s going on around me I continue to blast my depressing music; starring at my cat falling asleep; wishing it would come lay down with me. As I get bored of doing absolutely nothing and clearly not having written anything on my paper, I get up. It’s weird though, it’s absolutely silent... It hasn’t been this silent since the “Incident” during our traditional Christmas dinner last year. Man was that a bad Christmas. Anyway as I go down the stairs yelling “Mom, dad, Jeremy anyone home?”
Silence filled the room. I began to get chills down my back then BAM! My phone starts ringing. I answered “Holy F Sarah you scared the heck out of me!” “Hello? Sarah…You there?” AHHHHH just echoed through my ear. “Sarah what’s wrong?” Not hearing anything back I began to panic frantically and immediately called my mom. I then turned my head hearing my mom’s phone go off, I start heading towards the ringing “Mom?” I yelled as it got louder and louder, my heart started beating faster and faster. I head towards the kitchen, I see my mom on her knees with her head down.
“Mom, are you okay?” I touched her shoulder slowly scared of what I was about to see. As she turns her head towards me I immediately begin to walk backwards; noticing her bloody mouth and hands. My breathing starts getting heavier and heavier not knowing what to think or do I run. I ran like there was no tomorrow, because ya know there was probably no tomorrow. Okay smart ass there is a new tomorrow since obviously I’m here writing about it but I wanted to tell you the story how I seen it. Anyway back to that day, as I was saying I was running I didn’t stop I was almost down the street when I noticed that it was absolutely quiet and cars were left with the keys in the ignition, dogs were running loose. ”HELP? ANYONE?” I yell on top of my lungs.
Then all of the sudden I felt a cold hand over my mouth and I get pulled into someone’s backyard. No clue of who it was or what was going on I start kicking and biting. I heard a voice go “Are you stupid? Quiet down! Are you trying to get yourself killed?” I had no idea what he meant but did notice who it was. His name was Justin Stetter, about 5’5 short dark hair, brown eyes, covered in tattoos. I have never actually talked to him but I would always see him in his front steps smoking a cigarette. “What’s going on? Where is everyone at?” I without hesitation ask him. “You have no clue do you?” Justin asks. Um of course not or I wouldn’t be asking you? Why did you grab me? Why did you say I was trying to get myself killed? Omg answer me? “If you don’t shut up and sit don I’ll kill you myself!” he said while trying to light a cigarette. First you need this. (Hands me a gun) “What do I need this for? You’re out of your mind. I’m leaving.”           
I start walking out of his backyard then notice something near the car. It kind of sounded like a dog with rabbis. I begin to get scared but of course my curiosity kicks in and I start walking towards it. The closer I get the louder the growling gets. Then I am faced with this thing, I don’t know what to call it because it has the physical features of a human but its face… its missing skin, its bloody, teeth are showing more than usual. I’m pretty sure it looked like Mrs. White but it wasn’t her, and it was actually pretty disgusting because she was eating her dog. And of course as I walked towards her I stepped on a twig and she immediately turned around, might have given herself whiplash is she was actually Mrs. White just saying. Anyway she starts running towards me while I just freeze there not responding to what was going on then I hear a BANG BANG! Then blood splashes all over me. Kind of like when you’re sitting by your pool side and your idiot friend decides to wet you while you’re trying to lie out in the son and catch a tan. I don’t know why it reminded me of that but it did.
Oh My God! I start to scream. I turn around and it was Justin. “What was that?” I desperately asked. “If you would have listened to me and stayed I could have explained everything to you, you’re lucky I was out here or you’d be a goner.” What are those things? “Those things are zombie’s smart one. “ Um you’re freaking insane. “Nope, didn’t you see the news? “Me? The news? “Yeah I didn’t think so.” “Well apparently the passengers coming back from Africa brought back a disease that was un-noticed. People started acting weird everywhere, at work, at home. No one knows how they got it or how to cure it. But my mom’s one of those things…but she didn’t go to Africa. “She didn’t have to; she could have gotten bitten or somehow got their blood mixed with hers.” She did tell me how at work one of her patience bit her a couple days ago. She was telling me how sick her patience’s were and how weird they were acting. They would just sit there and stare at the wall, and they would cough blood up; nothing she’s ever seen she said. Well after we got all that out of the way we sit down and think of what to do. Where’s your family? “I don’t know… they never came back.” Oh I’m sorry I hope they’re okay. “Yeah, me too.” Well what should we do? “First we need to get food if we’re going to survive, everyone’s going to go after food so we better beat them to it before it’s all gone.”
We start walking to the store around the corner. When we get the whole store is full of people going crazy, everything’s knocked down, people are walking out; pushing each other; trying to get away from the madness. We gather water, bread and anything we could get our hands on. Then we take somebody’s car and drive off. Where are we going? “I have a buddy of mine couple miles away from here; he’ll have somewhere safe for us to stay in.” We drive for about an hour then we finally get there. This house is just an ordinary looking house on the outside but on the inside there’s guns everywhere, any weapon you name it’s on the wall. There’s a room full of food. All the windows are boarded up. The front door has millions of locks on it. They were ready for anything that was out there. The owner of the house was tall, scrawny, long-ish hair and his name was Cody. Cody knew everything about zombies as I got told. Justin thinks it’s because he spends his time playing on his Xbox just shooting things so now he thinks he’s an expert on them and guns. 
We all just sit at the table and talk about what’s going on and what we’re going to do then all of the sudden. KNOCK KNOCK! We all turn our heads then it gets louder and louder, more and more knocks start. Justin hands me a gun and they both get their own. “Check that side Cody, I got this side.” What do I do? “Just stay there and watch that back door.” As I start realizing what’s going on I immediately start freaking out but then suck it up and start searching. “Hey guys come up here.” Me and Justin head upstairs and go to the roof. “There’s like 50 of them! What do we do? “Blow them up.” Justin smirks. We all go back downstairs and start getting the grenades then we realize that they’re ripping the wood off. “HURRY! They’re getting inside!” We go upstairs.
“Are y’all ready?” Yes. “Yeah” Ready, set, throw! We get rid of the grenades and of course my aiming isn’t perfect that I blew part of our house up. BOOM! We all fall to the ground. “Is everyone okay?” Oh my god I’m so sorry. I start crying. I didn’t mean to. Are you guys alright? “Where’s Cody?” “Cody?” Then we hear a scream coming from downstairs. (AHHHHH) We head down there and Cody’s legs and arms are gone. (BANG BANG) Justin starts shooting the zombies. “You guys have to get out of here…” “We’re not leaving you Cody.” “Justin I’m done, look at me? This is no way to live, please you have to go.”
We leave the house and I realize Justin’s crying. I’m sorry about your friend, this is my entire fault. He remains quiet the whole time. “I don’t know what we’re doing, where we’re going.” We hop into a car and just drive and drive; with no human in sight we lose all hope.  “Maybe we should just give up.” No. I’m not becoming one of them and neither are you, you’re all I got now and you’re staying with me. “Ashlee I don’t know about any of this, I thought I was stronger than this but I’m not.” How do you know my name? I never told you what it was. “We’ve lived in the same street for the past ten years, the reason ive never talked to you or tried is because I’m shy, I think you’re absolutely beautiful I would always see you walking down the street to go to 711. You would always get the same this, Jalapeno Kettle cooked chips and a watermelon Arizona iced tea.”

Wow stalking much? “Haha I don’t stalk you I just pay attention there’s a difference.” Then we see this woman screaming. I think she needs help, should we stop? “Yeah.” She’s stuck in her car and there’s a crowd of “them” surrounding her, so Justin and I start shooting carefully trying not to shoot the woman inside. We saved her and she tagged along till we got her till safety. I can go on and on about how many people Justin and I saved but that’s too many different stories. Anyway we ended up living happily ever after kicking zombie butt! The government ended up finding us a safe spot to live in with all the other survivors.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences