Absolute Power | Teen Ink

Absolute Power

By GordonK SILVER, Huntsville, Alabama
GordonK SILVER, Huntsville, Alabama

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I need to be."
-Douglas Adams

Into Tyre’s swimming vision there came an all too familiar figure. “Oh, would you look at that” cooed a sickening voice; one that he had come to curse. The figure came into focus. Long, thin legs strode over to the gutter where Tyre lay. “My, my.” tisked Elwin “It’s been too long, your majesty.” The words bit at Tyre, even in his inebriated state.

“You.” he grunted, trying his hardest to sit up.

“Now now,” said Elwin, towering over the crumpled heap of a former king, “you simply must do a better job of presenting yourself. It is coronation day, after all.”

Tyre’s eyes widened “N-no” he managed to gasp.

“That’s right, highness, today I take what was once yours.”

Elwin mockingly put a hand to his ear, leaning over Tyre, “What was that? How, you ask? Well I’ll tell you. I had help. In your casting out, in the war, and now, in my rise. I had the confidence of those who served closest to you, those who had power, more power than me. It is a shame, though, that they will not be joining me for my glorious final act tonight.” A quiet chuckle escaped his lips. “It really is too bad. You see, they could have been a threat. Yes, Silas and Kane, I think their names were, oh but you remember them, don’t you?”

Tyre struggled to move closer to the wretched being in front of him “T-traitors” he growled, his once dazed eyes now burning with hatred”

“Precisely.” grinned Elwin, “They could never be trusted. And, like I said, they were stronger than myself. But I had something over them; trust. They trusted me, just like everyone out there.” Elwin gestured to the city behind him, “And let me tell you, there is nothing stronger than that.” Elwin’s singsong voice grew quiet with malice. “Yes, they all trust me, they think that I’m the savior that you never could be. And as far as they know, they’re right. They only know the smallest extent of my power.” Elwin crouched inches away from Tyre, a dark purple glow emitting from his right hand. “But you know, don’t you?” A wicked grin played across Elwin’s lips, his hand moving closer to Tyre’s throat.

“I could kill you right now. I could end your miserable life in an instant and you know it.” Tyre felt a coldness burning around his neck as Elwin moved closer, “But really, why should I?” he said, his voice returning to the same whimsical tenor, “You’re no threat to me, not by a longshot. Oh, the mighty king, Son of the Stars, look how far you have fallen. Tell me” Elwin leaned closer to Tyre, whispering in his ear, “How badly did it hurt?”

Elwin stood up, casting a glance to the castle in the distance, “Well this has been lovely, catching up and all, but I must be on my way. My public awaits, after all.” He strode away from Tyre, who still sat whimpering below. For a moment, Elwin turned his malevolent gaze back to Tyre. “So long, King of the Gutters!”

This is a scene froma mmuch longer work intended to capture a very specific feeling, but this feeling is very different from person to person.