Two Blades, a Sacrifice, and a Coat | Teen Ink

Two Blades, a Sacrifice, and a Coat

By starforcebigbang SILVER, Beijing, Other
starforcebigbang SILVER, Beijing, Other

The world sucks a lot because there's war and terrorism and death, and we humans have to suffer through all of it. But it's also very beautiful because of the perseverance in humans, who will always fight even after time's end.

They battled in the sacred place.

The two combatants crossed blades, striking for each other’s blood.

A large, golden disc was the arena, aloft in the sky. Encompassing their duel was a yellow-bronze sky and clouds of pure white, watching the battle that would forever be chronicled by the gods themselves.

We stood in the center of all heavens.

Our blades held at each other’s necks.

The serrated, jagged cleaver of smooth, blackened corundum was gripped tightly with two hands with blackened skin. The swordsman was cloaked in complete shadow, the dark aura wrapping him in a tight embrace. Twin eyes of red malice spoke hatred to me, and his dark, ashy face glared contempt.

My thin blade of straight, fine silver, was tightly squeezed in my right hand, while my left fell at my side. The simple, loose garb of red I wore fluttered in the soft breeze, and I panted heavily.

“If you slice my neck,” he whispered.

“I’ll get yours,”

I raised an eyebrow at his threat.

“So?” I shrugged nonchalantly. “I’ll have done my duty. And at least she’ll live,” my eyes flitted to the right, where my friend had collapsed in terror.

She kneeled upon the golden platform. Sapphire-eyes were on the brink of releasing tears, like a leaky dam. Pale skin of moonlight was lightly flecked with dirt, and her raven lengths of hair were slightly unkempt.

Yet she was still beautiful to me. Sure, you can call me cheesy.

Her eyes slowly grew with realization.

“You can’t!” The words rang out.

My eyes blinked lazily.

“Why not?”

“Are you insane? You’ll lose your life!”

I shrugged.

“It doesn't matter. I’m not needed anymore. Plus, you get to live, too,”

The tears began to fall, cascading down her cheeks like small waterfalls.

“But!” I said clearly.

“Take my coat,” I grinned. “Take it as a reminder,”

My shadowed enemy barked with dark laughter. “A reminder of what? Sacrificing everything for everyone until you have nothing left?”

I snapped out my sword arm, lashing my blade across his neck and incised flesh.

Blood of sunset-red began to course out.

“Take it as a reminder to keep living!” I shouted, slowly losing focus as the cleaver sank into my neck.
………

I cried.

I cried, and cried, and cried.

The waves of sorrow and agony drowned me in tears, and I oversaw the mourning of my lost friend. He was the one I had missed for so long, who had always woken me up, welcomed me home, and embraced me good night.

He was the one I had loved.

Slowly, his still body began to dissolve into tiny slivers of golden light. I reached out, trying to grab them and keep my friend with me, but they flitted away from my hands and floated away.

I cried.
………

One would really think I would be needed, seeing as how I had just saved the entire kingdom of Foresta. But hey, anyone could have done it. The kingdom is saved. I can die now. I’m not needed.

Not like I have anyone waiting for me at home, anyways.

Not family, friends, no one waiting for me at home. No one in the village would help me because of my foreign blood. They said I was too distant – I had just lost my family!

…But there was her.

I’m not going to lie – I was actually in love with her. That’s why I set out to find her.

But now she’s alone.

…What have I done?

She’ll miss me, I know it. Miss our embraces, our times together…

Our friendship.

…Why haven’t I died yet?
………

She picked up his coat.

He had thrown it off before the battle.

It was more of a cloak – of brown cloth. It was long, and feel to the ground. The sleeves were wide and long, flowing like water.

Tightly, she embraced it.

His name escaped her mouth softly – ever so softly.

And then, footsteps.

She turned.

Her arms held out the coat to the newcomer.

A kind smile, and warm eyes…

And the coat’s owner accepted them – his cloak, and his friend.'

I am the love that burns in all people.

I am the courage at the side of the fighting.

And I am the sacrifices that will continue until the end of time.