Sentinel Origins: Apollo | Teen Ink

Sentinel Origins: Apollo

July 3, 2014
By brettb33 PLATINUM, Stanwood, Michigan
brettb33 PLATINUM, Stanwood, Michigan
48 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
Make your mistakes, next year and forever. - Neil Gaiman


Barrels are not very comfortable. They do however make very good places to hide. I sat completely silent and completely still as the barrel I was in was lifted onto a wagon. There were five other identical barrels also on the wagon with me. My barrel had two lids though. One lid was secured above me and then wheat was poured in on top of it. Then the second lid was placed on top of the wheat. If the container was inspected then it would appear to be full of wheat.

“Halt,” I heard the gruff voice of a city guardsman say after a few minutes. We must have reached Terith. Now it was do or die, the plan was in motion, there was no going back now, “What are you carrying?”

“It’s a shipment of wheat for the castle,” the man driving the wagon replied calmly as he began to rummage through his bags, “I have a document here showing the legitimacy of…”

“Yeah, yeah, go ahead,” the guard replied, bored of the conversation and eager to have us back on our way. They were never an issue, the castle guards were our only worry at this point.

When we reached the entrance to the castle’s eastern kitchen we were stopped by another set of guards. Two people climbed up on either side of the wagon and began to search the drums. “Well?” the leader asked when they finally opened my barrel.

“It’s like he says, just wheat,” one of the guards replied as he dropped down from the wagon. The leader must have motioned for them to start carrying in the shipment because I was lifted off the cart and on the move again. I heard boots hitting stone and then was dropped heavily onto the floor.

I fought the urge to groan as I began the game of waiting once again. Eventually the guards disappeared and I was left alone in the kitchen but I still didn’t move. More footsteps, they were to my left and coming toward me. They pushed past all of the other barrels and to mine. The first lid came off then someone began searching through the grain. They got ahold of the second lid and pulled up, I pushed to support them.

“It’s a good thing you’re short Apollo,” the young man smiled to me as I climbed out of the cramped space. He was holding a set of the most ugly and flamboyant clothes I had ever witnessed, “Get changed.”

I quickly slipped into the bright-colored minstrel attire and my companion and I disposed of the extra barrel. He handed me a lute. “Everything is exactly like you asked for. Aidan is at the south gates in case things don’t go as planned. Raven is still our hopeful exit,” he shook my hand, “Good luck Apollo and if things go wrong, don’t count on Aidan’s help.”

With that I put on my hat and we parted ways. He would suddenly disappear from the services of the Duke of Terith. I on the other hand would wade my way through the servant girls and cooks. It was amazing how much information they knew.

I strummed the lute experimentally and smiled at the tone. They’d even tuned it for me, everything was going as planned. “Apollo?!” it was the screeching sound of an overly excited young woman. I had been visiting the castle for weeks now, making a good rapport with its inhabitants. She was actually strikingly beautiful for a servant girl, but I had work to do, “What are you doing here?!”

“I came to see you my darling,” I plucked a few strings and hummed along melodically. I could see her melting under the smooth sounds. I could be quite manipulative at times, “I couldn’t stay away.”

“Oh Apollo,” she smiled and blushed, embarrassed. I also smiled inwardly, they made it so easy, “You can’t be here, the Duke is having guests today. If you get caught…”

“If I get caught it will have been worth seeing you,” I pulled her into my arms and stared into her eyes. All minstrels were like this, even the real ones, and they made me sick, “At least your face will be the last thing I see.”

She kissed me and I wondered vaguely how Raven felt about this cover story. She hadn’t seemed very worried about me kissing another girl but I could never tell with her. When our lips parted I jumped up on top of a table and began to play a song off the top of my head. It had something to do with the feeling of her lips. I sang absentmindedly.

“So where is the Duke then?” I asked as the song came to a close. I dropped down from the table and took her hands in mine, “If you are so worried about me he must be close.”

“Well he’s meeting with his guest in the west dining hall,” she replied quietly and I looked at her skeptically, “I know it’s all the way on the other side of the castle but…”

“But you were just worrying about me,” I smiled, brushing a strand of hair out of her face. She placed her hand on mine and stroked it gently, “I understand my love. If you are so worried I will take my leave. I’m sure that I will be able to get out of here safely.”

“I love you,” her voice was strained as if she couldn’t bear to see me go. I wanted to puke but I leaned down and kissed her instead.
“I love you too my beautiful angel,” I replied as I left up the stairs and to the main floor of the castle. The servant girl watched me all the way up the steps before going back to her room.
She’d told me what I needed to know. The duke was exactly where I had hoped he would be. Sometimes things just went how they were supposed to, not often but occasionally. I stripped out of the minstrel clothes and down to the plain black undershirt and pants I had been wearing. I tossed the other clothes out a window.
I opened a door at the end of the hallway and entered a cupboard. Our inside man had been kind enough to smuggle in everything I need. I pulled my belt and cloak and a long rope from the bucket in front of me. The belt had my assorted knives, poisons, and climbing chalk. The cloak was made to camouflage against the snow.
I took the lute next and removed the extra string from the lute and then broke it in half against the wall. Part of the bottom of the neck and the belly of the instrument was actually a short bow. I pulled the bow away from the rest of the instrument and strung it with the extra “lute string.” Then I pulled out the arrow from inside the pegbox. It was an ingenious design that I hadn’t expected possible but my suppliers were masters.
I exited the cupboard and headed out into the courtyard. There were only two ways into the western kitchen because it was on the fourth floor. I could go up the stairs but it was unlikely that I could get in without getting caught. That left coming in from the outside, good thing I was a great climber.
There was no way to climb to the dining hall from where I was standing though, that’s why I had the rope. I headed to the eastern tower and chalked my hands for the climb. It was cold and all of the handholds could be icy. The tower was much higher than four floors and if I fell there was a very good chance of death. I smiled as I prepared to climb.
The beginning half of the climb wasn’t difficult; I found places to put my hands and feet easily. My hands were getting frighteningly cold though and I wasn’t sure how much longer I could hang on. I reached for the next handhold but it was too far away. I could jump for it but, I looked down, if I fell at this height… well it wouldn’t be pretty. I didn’t have a choice though, and I had made much more difficult climbs before. I pushed up off my footholds and reached for the spot. I just barely got ahold of it but it was icy and I fell anyway.
My mind was flying as soon as I realized my situation. It only took a split second for me to find another place while I fell. I reached out and grabbed it. The fall jarred my arm but I held on. “That was close,” I whispered to myself and I once again began my ascent.
I didn’t run into anymore problems like that until the very end. I couldn’t find a good spot that put me near the tower window. I was now parallel to it but it was just out of my reach. I would have to jump but I didn’t know if I could make it. There had to be another way, but if there was I didn’t know what it was. The tower was cylindrical, so from where I was I couldn’t actually see the window.
I breathed in and out slowly. There was the window, just out of reach, I could make this. Of course then there was the ground, it was so far down now. If I missed the window there was no way I could find save myself again. “Geronimo,” I whispered to myself as I pushed laterally and reached for the open window.
I almost shouted out in glee when my hand found purchase. I couldn’t help but laugh as the terror wore off and I was alive. I hoisted myself through the window and fell on the floor, breathing heavily. My hands were bright red and I’m sure my face was windburned but I was just glad to be alive.
When I had calmed down and warmed myself a little I pulled my bow from my shoulders. Then I tied the rope to the arrow. Then I found something to anchor the shot so I would have a bridge across to the kitchen.
I looked out the window. Thankfully it wasn’t snowing and I could see my target easily. I took aim for the door in the kitchen. I took my time accounting for wind and the extra weight that the rope would cause. Then I let the arrow loose. I didn’t have to see it hit, I knew where it was going. I quickly unstrung my bow and climbed on top of the rope as soon as it was taut. I used the bow to zip line across to the kitchen.
I worked quickly, removing the arrow from the door and throwing it back out the window. “What was that?” I translated from the language of northeastern Nifaria. It was the duke; he was no doubt sending someone about the noise.
The door opened and I hid behind it. “Nothing,” the man who walked in, who was the server, called back, “It must have been the wind.” He entered and closed the door behind him, that’s when he spotted me.
“Hello,” I smiled pleasantly as I hit him in the carotid sinus. He dropped to the floor instantly. I checked that he was still breathing and then pulled him to a corner. I didn’t have long, I would have to make this quick. I changed again into the man’s clothes and stuffed my cloak into a bag. The clothes were a little large. I hoped they wouldn’t notice. I took the wine from him, laced it with some of my poison, and entered the dining hall.
One exit, heavy wooden door, leads to third floor hallway. Ten minutes to escape. Four guests at the Duke’s dinner party. Three men, one woman. The men are slightly intoxicated already, the woman is very observant. Two armed guards, have to confirm the kill, they will pose an issue. The Duke’s glass is empty; his companions’ glasses are nearing the same, time to make my move.
“More wine sir?” I asked the Duke in his native language. He laughed and nodded, if he noticed it was a different server he made no indication of it. I turned to the others, “You as well?”
The three men nodded and I refilled their chalices. “And you ma’am?” I asked slyly as she glanced at me with her violet eyes. I winked at her and she rolled her eyes.

“No, thank you,” she replied as she inconspicuously pulled her knife into her strong hand. I set my hand on top of hers and shook my head slightly.
“Raven,” I smiled as I stood beside the violet eyed guest, “Hopefully we won’t need that, but we’re going to have to work quickly.”
“What’s going on?!” a guard asked from the door as the duke’s head fell heavily against the table. Then the three guests followed suit.
“Oh, he’s just had a little too much to drink,” I hoisted the duke up from the table and discreetly took his pulse at the same time. He was dead, “We should get them to their rooms.”
“We can do that,” one of the sentries in the dining hall said to me, “You escort the lady to where she is staying.”
Luckily the two guards hadn’t thought my sudden appearance was an issue, probably because the Duke hadn’t reacted. Once outside of the dining room Raven handed me another set of clothes, which I quickly changed into. I could have passed for one of the Duke’s guests now.
Raven and I walked calmly down the stairs, arm in arm. “Milady,” I grinned to her as if we hadn’t just murdered four high ranking nobles, “Shall we take our leave?”
When we reached our exit the guards eyed us suspiciously. “The duke has had a little too much wine this evening,” I explained to them, chortling like I had been partying as well, “He needs you to assist him to his room.”
They rushed past us, up the stairs toward the dining hall and I opened the door for Raven. “After you,” I bowed low as she stepped past me and into the cold air of Terith.
We climbed into the carriage that was waiting for us. The driver turned back and smiled at the two of us, “So my lord, I take it your short stay in Terith was enjoyable.”
I laughed in delight at our success. It was my first assassination, the first of many, and it had gone smoothly. The guards didn’t try to stop us until we were too far gone, “Quite enjoyable, now take us home.”


The author's comments:
This is one of seven Sentinel Origin stories. This is probably the most action oriented of the stories. It was a lot of fun to write, hope you enjoy.