The Coffee House | Teen Ink

The Coffee House

By AmberMichelle BRONZE, Fort Smith, Arkansas
AmberMichelle BRONZE, Fort Smith, Arkansas

There’s a coffee house on the corner of Gary and Lexon Drive. The sign out front claims they have the “most delicious and vigorous coffee to ever hit your taste buds.” Specially selected visitors will see the sign out of the corner of their eye and if they turn in time to read it, they’ll have a once in a lifetime chance to step inside and see if the sign is true.

If you managed to face it before it faded away from common citizens, you’ll see the painted blue windows that keep sunlight from ruining the relaxing atmosphere and the pale purple awning above the door. It shakes all the leaves and stains off itself to keep a clean appearance.

Through the large white doors, you’ll find the spacious room with pale green walls and hardwood floors with tables and couches scattered across the floor and ceiling. Portraits of old-fashioned people hang on the walls, enjoying their coffees and going about their days. Don’t watch them for too long or they’ll get upset with you and may throw their drinks at you.

The baristas are some of the friendliest you’ll meet, although probably not the best to look at unless you have a thing for horns, scales, or rotating eyes. Pardon the claws when they hand you your change and don’t mind the sneezes that shake the room. They won’t judge you for your spikey hair or ripped up jeans, so you shouldn’t judge them for how they look.

The sign is right when it says vigorous. One sip from the specially brewed coffee will turn a tired old sport into an enthusiastic creature ready to take on the world. Some say the coffee makes them feel years younger. On rare occasions a coffee is made too strong some do become years younger until the caffeine wears off.

No matter the coffee, the texture is the best you can find. The rich taste has a comforting warmth to the touch—it’s never too hot or too cold. The cream added to every cup will continue to swirl long after you stop stirring to ensure all around freshness no matter how long it sits out.

If you have time to sit down, grab a coffee and relax in the comfort of the calm and sensual coffee house. Do some writing or homework. Maybe pick up a book and delve into a new world. If you didn’t bring one, there are plenty on the bookcases in various genres.

Just watch out for the spell books. Some of the spells written can cause pain and death to the reader, their loved ones, and enemies. It’s not something the coffee house would like to deal with.

Next time you’re walking by the corner of Gary and Lexon Drive, be sure to turn around if you spot something out of the corner of your eye. It might just be a stray cat or another person walking. But if you’re wise and accepting, you may be stumbling on the best coffee house you’ll ever go to.

Make sure to turn quickly if given the lucky chance, and come inside for a drink and a membership so you can come in anytime you’d like.

If you don’t turn around in time or don’t get a membership, the coffee house will keep the broken windows, rusted hinges, and dusty floor appearance to keep close-minded passerby’s from interrupting the peace.