A Journey | Teen Ink

A Journey

By sylv.bird SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
sylv.bird SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"Be true to yourself, and stay away from the punch," --My aunt Karol

“Hey Sam! Where’d your parents go!? They ever gonna come back!? Bet they just went away ‘cause they couldn’t stand to look at ya!”

No. I wouldn’t stand for this. How dare he say that to me. The second I hear that my mind goes into overdrive. I hit him. Hard. Then my mind comes back to me. I see what I’ve done. Hearing his cries, I run. Not to any where, just away. Once I get to my alley, I slow down till I get to a halt. Then I fall to the ground and cry.

“Sam... Hey Sam... You okay, girl?”

I knew who the voice belonged to immediately.

“I’m all right Vicky,”

Vicky. The one person who knew how I felt.

“No, you’re not.”

“You’re right,” I say as I sob into her shoulder.

“What did Nick do this time?” Vicky asks me.

Nick. The Bully. Always looking for someone to hurt. Everyone stays out of his way, but sometimes, that’s impossible.

“Teased me about my parents. Again.”

I’m not crying any more.

“I’ve got to find them, Vick. I don’t care what happens. I just want to know that they’re okay.”

“I don’t know Sam, it sounds pretty dangerous. And for all we know your parents could be in the Torture Chambers, or worse. Plus, it’s pretty nice here. Sort of. I mean it’s warm, and mostly everyone is nice. Mostly.”

“I don’t care. I can’t stand living in the alleys any more. And are you kidding?This place is a dump. Where ever I go, it’s got to be better then this place.”

“Fine. Seeing as there is no talking you out of it... I’ll just have to come with you!” Vicky says, a smile starting to creep up her face. “It’ll be fun! Risky, yes, but with the right materials, I’m sure we can do it! Meet me at the Antrac Alley once you have your stuff. Only bring necessities.”

“Does it have to be Antrac Alley? That place is horrid. You’ve seen the rats there. They’re as big as a cat!” I complained.

“I know that. But, the worse the Alley is, the less likely we’re gonna get caught. Plus, it’s the closest Alley to the Gateway,” Vicky pointed out to me.

“Alright,” I say. “You win. I’ll meet you there.”

I grimace as I say the words, but Vicky just smiles as we each head back to our own Alley.

* * * *

Within five minutes I’m ready. It’s not like I had that much stuff. Just a little food, water, a coat, and a picture of my parents. Within ten minutes I’m at Antrac Alley.

“Hey Sam,”

“Hey Vicky. What’s in the bag?”

“Just food and some water. I didn’t bring my coat. It’s pretty nice out here, even if it is raining. What did you bring?”

“Food, Water, my coat, and my parents.

“Take out your parents. They won’t help us.”

“But... they’re all I have of them.”

“I know that. Take them out. Let’s move.”

I say nothing as I remove the picture of my parents, and drop them on the trash-covered road. As Vicky turns away, though, I pick up the picture and quickly place it in my pocket. Then, slowly, carefully, we creep towards the Gateway, which is what keeps natural whether out of the city, as well as intruders.

The Gateway isn’t guarded here. It’s never guarded. Kilondria is the forgotten Colony. Translated into English ‘Kilondria’ means ‘to be forgotten’. So, without any regrets, we step through the Gateway, into unknown land, and are instantly surrounded.

“Wh-What are they V-Vicky?”

“I-I don’t know, S-Sam,” We weren’t shivering because of fear. We were shivering because of the cold. The cold, hard wind pierced my ears, and the snow beat against me, turning my ears red. The creatures, however, didn’t seem to mind the cold. On impulse, I reached out, and stroked one’s fur.

“What a-are you d-doing, Sam?” Vicky screeched into the howling wind.

“It’s ok. I’m going to keep one. I’ll call it Otak.”

“No, you aren’t going to keep one... so, our only obstacle so far, then is the cold,” Vicky observed. “We better get moving, then. Let’s go!”

“Aww... ” I say as I pull on my warm, fuzzy coat.

Vicky doesn’t say anything, and we trudge along for awhile. Maybe five minutes, maybe five hours. It doesn’t matter. When I can’t stand the silence any more, I burst out,

“WhatifwerunintotheGovernment?”

Vicky slowly spins around to face me. She stares at me with eyes hardened from the cold. Her answer is simple,

“We won’t,”

But I’m not listening. I’m thinking thoughts like, What if my parents were taken by Them? What if my parents were killed by Them? What if-

I’m lost in my own world when I hear a loud, bone crunching “THUNK!” Brought back, I focus my eyes, and tread on something skinny and cold. The thing is Vicky.

“Vicky?!”

Now, I’m not a child. I know that she isn’t asleep.

For a moment, I’m speechless. Then, “Oh, noooo! V-Vicky! W-What do I do?! I’m not ready for this! You don’t understand!”

As I say this I punch the air, snow, rocks, anything in sight. My long black hair trails along behind me, dotted white with the snow. As I move I come upon a hole. And, like everyone in a panic, I fall into it. I feel the cold, cold snow , and when I stand up, tears are streaming down my face. I stumble towards Vicky, still crying. Her cold, lifeless eyes stare up at me, and I cradle her head in my hands, while tears fall on her pale face. Wearing only a T-shirt and jeans. Dead from the cold. Vicky. The one person who knew how I felt. Vicky. Always there for me, ever since I was born. Vicky. Strong, Supportive, caring. The girl who dried my tears and told me to keep going. Well I would. I would keep going, for Vicky’s sake.

I leave her body there and keep moving, now and then stopping to eat and drink. Soon, the weather begins to change. It stopped snowing, and the sun came out. Instead of walking on snow, I’m walking on grass. This was when I got really cautious.

Now and then, I hear Vicky’s voice in my head

“Don’t let your guard down. You’re getting closer.”

The all of a sudden, I’m there. The Gateway, made of pure gold, looms over me, ominous and dazzling, dark and sparkling in the bright sunlight. For reasons unknown at the time, this Gateway isn’t guarded either, and triumphantly, I step through the Gateway.

Instantly, I’m surrounded. But, this isn’t like with the Otaks. These are men. Tall and muscular, with weapons I’ve never seen before pointed straight at me. Stunned, I can’t speak. Then, one of the thugs says, “Take her to the Presidents.”

Now, I’m really scared. The Presidents are the ones who took my parents.

As they drag me into The House, everything is silent. People turn and stare at me, a girl with long black hair, covered in rags.

After what feels like a day, we’re there. I enter a long room, filled only with a long, long table and at the other end of it, the Presidents. I strain my eyes to see their faces, but when I do, I recoil. I would know their faces anywhere.

My parents.

This piece started out as an ELA project, but it turned out to be much more. As I got into it I realized I could relate to some of the characters, even though they live a life nothing like mine. It became like I was telling my story in someone else's shoes.