The Staircase to Heaven | Teen Ink

The Staircase to Heaven

By Wondering_About_Infinity SILVER, New York, New York
Wondering_About_Infinity SILVER, New York, New York

"I'm nobody! Who are you?" -Emily Dickinson

-If I could just find the staircase to Heaven, I’d dash right up and when I’d reach the top, I’d collapse onto frothy clouds, panting from exertion. There’d be a tinkling chime, and I’ll look up from my heaving chest and there, towering above me, would be a massive copper doorway. Not the greenish hue of an old penny, but the brilliant shade of the sun at 7:00 PM.

I’ll knock on those gates, and they’ll smoothly creak open- and the first thing that’ll hit me is Light. A light so blinding, like that first moment in the morning when your eyes are flooded with sunshine- multiplied by the number of breaths you take in a day.

Then suddenly! Sound! Not the ringing voices of angels I’d expected, or a booming old God with a beard. No, a baby’s squeal, a mother’s hum, a father’s grunt. The laughter of High School hallways and backyards and lakes, the off-key singing of Grandpas. And underneath this, a soft muffle, a sniffle, a weep. Somebody sighing, some crying, a questioning youth “whying”. And the deafening trickle of tears against cheeks.
Finally I would Smell. Cinnamon and baby powder and freshly shampooed hair, and cumin, extra-virgin olive oil, and strawberry yogurt. Somehow, it worked.

I’ll flounce through the clouds until I reach my destination. There is God and I prepare my question, clear my throat, ahem. I waited so long for this moment and now it’s here- words shuffling on my tongue- a deck of cards I’ve wanted to draw forever. Here is the question I prepare to ask: “How could you keep all the good for yourself God, and leave us with bad?”

But my lips wont obey, my teeth are on strike, the question that's been on Replay all my life is suddenly frozen- a broken track. And suddenly- oh!- what a fool I am!

So I race back down the stairs, and when I reached my place, I spread out my arms for the tears and squeals and strawberry yogurt.--

In case you don't understand the ending (which some people haven't, and if you can give me advice on how to clarify the ending it'd be much appreciative) the point was that I always felt like God dumped us in this sucky universe and he laleeda's in Heaven, but really-- we've got so much good down here.

Please let me know what you think!

freeday15 GOLD said...
on May. 11 2014 at 4:10 pm
freeday15 GOLD, Paramus, New Jersey

"Love is Blind" i truly believe in this it is in all of my pieces, and if u read between the lines then u will find it there...

I thought the ending was pretty clear... for me anyways. I dont think you should really change it, I like it the way it is. You are a really good and descriptive writer, and i like your style. I agree that some parts is kind of like poetry, and that's what is so apealing to it. I look forward to reading more!

on Apr. 11 2014 at 1:34 am

So I have to work on the ending. I know that, but it's so hard.. *!d=237187&%@#g!3 (good-girl cursing) K, k, frustration over, I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna fix it, thank you

KaavyaM SILVER said...
on Apr. 10 2014 at 9:03 am
KaavyaM SILVER, Hyderabad, Other

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.

I love how this is a paragraph, but it's almost like a poem in some parts, like I pretty much sang the line "Somebody sighing, some crying, a questioning youth "whying"". The whole concept is amazing, and so true! It's a really creative idea, and one that you sort of think about for a while after you're done reading. The end is kind of unclear though; I didn't understand it until I read your comment on it. Maybe you could have something specific on Heaven, for example, raining marshmallows or something. And then, when you're back on earth, after seeing all the wonderful things on earth again, say a line like "Because who needs raining marshmallows anyway?" (Except a lot more refined than I just wrote, haha. ) But great, great job. Now I'm craving strawberry yogurt.