Newcoming Mystery | Teen Ink

Newcoming Mystery

By Hamako018 BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina
Hamako018 BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina

"When you talk to a person about himself, he will listen for hours." - Unknown (to me)

I am waking up in a large field next to a gorgeous lake as I stretch and begin to stand on my own. ‘Was that dream real?’ I asked myself. I walk over to the lake to look into my reflection…

I am the purest white ever seen, my skin shines as bright as the moonlight. My hair gleams as much as the bright circle in the blue skies. Eyes that are the color of the deep ocean that seems to have no end as a human being looks into them. And, finally, my forehead embellished by a lovely horn that was surrounded at the base by a diamond-shaped birthmark. Yes, I am the mystical unicorn that is an enigma to the normal lives of the human race who could not possibly comprehend my presence.

I am only but a few days old to my mother, Serena, who had waited a hundred years to have a foal of her own. The birth of unicorns are so valuable in these times of King Uther, who does nothing but kill my kind as well as other magical beings with a cold heart. Well, according to my mother. I feel as if I have not always been a unicorn which still troubles me. But life must go on as well as my own; as the unicorn, Eleanor…

Now it has been 4 years since my birth. I have grown and am now considered a young mare to my kind. I am now about a foot taller than the average grown male of the human race and my physical details have not changed for a unicorn will always be pure. However, I am not like the others, I sense that I was not a unicorn for all this time even though my mother told me I was born like a regular foal from her very existence. I now gaze at the lake I have been born next to those years ago, the thoughts of not belonging still clouding up my mind.

“Eleanor, you must forget those feelings for our very presence has never been fully apprehended. Even by our very own kind; no individual: magical and non-magical alike, has ever questioned their existence before,” says my mother as her kneels onto the ground beside me, touching her cheek to mine.

“I know, Mother,” I answer simply, still looking at the lake.

My mother looks at me, “You’re still going to wonder no matter what I say, aren’t you?”

I look at her for a brief second and back to the water, “Have I ever stopped wondering before?”

“No.”

“I just want to know who I am.”

“You are Eleanor, a unicorn, one of the most beautiful creatures to ever walk the earth.”

I get up quickly out of frustration, “I know what I am, Mother! I just want to know who I am or what I was!” I shout as I face the other way.

None of the other unicorns understand me, they all think that I am a mystery and a bizarre fluke to their species. I am nothing like the others; I question my own company, I worry about things that should not ever concern myself, I feel confusion while my fellow unicorns just continue with no care in the world. I desire to know how I became a unicorn spiritually, not physically; which is the only thing that they never seem to ponder about. The only way I can belong is if I understand how my kind was made and why we were created.

I suddenly feel a gentle lick on my cheek and turn to face my mother. She glances at me as if she wants to do something but cannot get herself to complete the task in her mind. Unexpectedly, she hold me in the longest embrace I have ever known, even my mother did not hold me this long when I was brought into this world. I can feel her tears run down her face as I feel her clutch me harder against her cheek. “Then you need to speak to the eldest of the magical kind. Only he can guide you to getting your answer,” my mother painfully says through her tears.

I stare into my mother’s golden yellow eyes with bewilderment. I simply nod my head to her and try to smile, excruciatingly. “I shall be back as soon as I can, dear Mother,” I reply as I try not to show the loneliness already creeping into my very soul. We hold each other one last time and I now run off into the sunlight toward the ancient forest of the dragons. I continue running without glancing back at my mother. My journey has now begun and I am now individually on my own.

I was inspired to write this piece by my favorite kid's movie, "The Last Unicorn", and the television show, "Merlin". I am hoping that people get to come up with their own conclusion to the story and are able to picture this story in their minds. If this gets a lot of positive feedback I may even try to make this into a longer short story.