Marked | Teen Ink

Marked

December 19, 2013
By MidnightDreamer BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
MidnightDreamer BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

EXT. INTO THE WOODS - NIGHT
A girl runs through the forest. Panicked and fearful, she crashes through bushes.
The sounds of pursuit follow her. Torchlight comes form behind.
The girl gasps for breath.
SOLDIER
Stop! You belong to him!
Men shout unintelligibly.
The girl stumbles as arrows are fired.
She tumbles down a cliff landing at the bottom.
EXT. FOREST - THE NEXT DAY
The same girl awakens, seemingly confused.
She has no idea where she is or who she is. She suffers from amnesia.
GIRL
My name... Alys? I can't remember.
Alys stands and wanders around the woods. Hours seem to pass.
She comes upon a small stream, and kneels to take a drink. Something growls behind her.
Alys stands and turns slowly.
A gray wolf stands there, crouched and snarling. The wolf seems feral, but has strange violet eyes that seem different, intelligent and human-like.
Both stand transfixed. Quite suddenly the wolf seems to back off.
Alys takes a step back then turns and runs.
She runs for a time, breaks through the trees, and is nearly run over by a cart.
DRIVER
Hey! Watch it!
The cart moves on, Alys watches it as it heads towards a small village nestled in a valley. Alys follows the first road to the village.
ENTER THE VILLAGE
EXT. IN THE VILLAGE - DAY
Alys walks through the village and enters a marketplace.
The town is busy and bustling as people go about their business shopping, trading, and conversing.
Slowly people begin to take notice of her.
They look at her with fear, a woman shields her small child.
MAN
Demon! Cursed!
(Spits at her)
Alys flinches, more people take notice
They being to whisper to each other, glancing at her
WOMAN
Her eyes...
WOMAN 2
She's a menace!
Alys becomes frightened and runs from the square, down a side alley.
ENTER THE BAKER WOMAN
INT. THE BAKER WOMAN - DAY
A hand grabs her, drags her into a building, spins her around
WOMANS VOICE
What do you think you're doing?
(Angry)
Alys is shocked
Woman slightly shakes her
WOMAN (CONT'D)
Why are you just walking around in the open? Are you stupid? You'll get yourself killed!
ALYS
(Confused, overwhelmed)
No, I-I , don't...
The woman lets go and watches Alys intently
WOMAN
What's your name girl?
ALYS
A-Alys, I think
WOMAN
You think? Don't you know?
ALYS
I don't remember...
The woman touches Alys's head.
WOMAN
(Less harshly, inquisitive)
What do you remember?
Alys thinks but can't seem to say anything.
ALYS
I was in the woods... There, I...
The woman softens, sits Alys down at a table and takes a chair for herself.
WOMAN
My name is Johanna. Do you know what you are?
ALYS
What I am?
Johanna leaves the room, she returns with a mirror.
Holding the mirror up, Alys peers into it.
Her eyes are revealed to be an unnatural golden color. They seem to glimmer and shine, as if by magic.
ALYS
(Gasps, Shocked)
I, what?
JOHANNA
(Resigned)
You are a magic user. And that's a dangerous thing to be.
Alys does not respond but Johanna seems no to notice. She has a faraway look in her eyes.
JOHANNA (V.O.)
Years ago magic users began to appear. Children were born with strange eye colors or eyes that changed as they grew older. This change manifested itself as a sign of magic power. As the power increased people began to fear those who could wield it. The fear made it easier for King Eadric to rise to power. He led the people in a revolt against magic users. Now magic users are shunned or worse, hunted. King Eadric fully convinced the kingdom that magic users are dangerous and untrustworthy. Yet you face more danger from us. A civilian has never died but countless magic users...
Johanna lapsed into silence. Alys says nothing, waiting for Johanna.
Johanna visibly shakes herself and stands.
JOHANNA
Enough of this! While we figure out what to do with you, you may as well work.
ALYS
Work?
JOHANNA
(Winks, smiling)
A woman has to earn her way somehow, right?
Johanna leads Alys through the doorway into a shops front room. Warm sunlight filters in. A display rack houses different breads and pastries. Alys inhales deeply.
Scenes of Alys learning how to bake. Flour coats all surfaces including people. Johanna helps customers. Alys hides her eyes during transactions.
A lull in customers occurs. The day nears its end.
JOHANNA
Well I guess that's it. We'll close up for the day.
Alys and Johanna begin to clean up.
JOHANNA
I'm guessing you have no place to go?
ALYS
I wouldn't know where to go.
JOHANNA
Well fret not. You are staying here and there are no buts about it.
ALYS
(Shyly)
Thank you.
The door abruptly opens.
YOUNG MAN
Mother!
Johanna turns towards the door. She smiles radiantly and goes to embrace the boy who just walked in. He is a tall young man, with wild curling brown hair. He kisses Johanna on the cheek.
Johanna smacks him good naturedly with a towel.
JOHANNA
What are you doing only coming to visit your mother now? You're not getting off that easy, Griffyn.
The young man- Griffyn- laughs and grins cheekily.
GRIFFYN
I do have to work now, mother.
JOHANNA
And you had chores here before your work! I didn't get the same respect that you give Mr. Paion.
Alys edges closer, curious but worried about intruding.
GRIFFYN
But medicine is my craft now!
Griffyn notices Alys hovering nearby. He turns to greet her.
GRIFFYN
Oh hello.
ALYS
(Surprised)
Your eyes! They're such a deep blue! Almost purple!
Both Johanna and Griffyn freeze, Johanna seems fearful, while Griffyn is shocked.
GRIFFYN
(In Alys's mind)
No I believe you are mistaken. My eyes are a normal blue.
Alys cluthces her head in a panic, eye squeezed shut. She crys out in alarm.
ALYS
No! No, not again! Your eyes are different!!
Johanna moves towards Alys hand outstretched.
JOHANNA
Alys!
Suddenly the clatter of hooves and shouting men is heard. Griffyn whips around and peers out the window.
GRIFFYN
(Angry)
The Kings soldiers!
JOHANNA
(Dreadfully)
Someone went to them! They're here for Alys. Griffyn, you must take her. Run into the woods and hide. They can't find you, either of you.
Griffyn looks pained.
JOHANNA
Go! I'll be fine
Alys is still hunched over, wincing. Griffyn grabs her arm roughly.
GRIFFYN
Come on! Move!
Griffyn hauls Alys through the shop and out the back alleyway. They crouch in the shadows, before making a break for it. They are spotted.
SOLDIER
Halt! You there!
GRIFFYN
Hurry!
Griffyn drags Alys along. They run into the trees, dodging branches and jumping rocks. The soldiers are right on their trail. Alys begins to lag behind.
SOLDIER
Capture them alive!
GRIFFYN
Move!
He pulls Alys again. It is no use. She is out of breath and stumbling. Griffyn stops and looks around frantically. He suddenly looks up and grabs a tree branch. He hauls himself up and reaches down for Alys pulling her up as well. Griffyn holds her against his chest up in the tree. His hand is over her mouth keeping her quiet.
SOLDIER
Find them!
SOLDIER 2
Yes sir!
The soldiers clatter around the tree, searching and eventually move on. Griffyn and Alys remain in the tree for a time. Finally they drop down.
ALYS
Are they gone?
GRIFFYN
I think we're okay. But we can't go back for a time. We'll have to lie low.
Growling is heard behind them. Both turn suddenly. The gray wolf with violet eyes crouches, ready to pounce. Griffyn subtly moves Alys behind him.
ALYS
(Peers around Griffyn)
It's the same wolf!
Griffyn glances at her. The wolf suddenly relaxes. Slowly it transforms into a young woman. She has the same violet eyes as the wolf.
YOUNG WOMAN
(Smiles mischievously)
Well, well. Aren't we in trouble? I believe I have some magic users here.