Mary and the Black Prowler | Teen Ink

Mary and the Black Prowler

By 24601 SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky
24601 SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky

"Its not who I am, its what I do that defines me."-Batman "Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense."-The Comedian.

Curtis Fisher never intended for this super-villain business to get out of hand. He never wanted to keep being a masked-villain from when he was a college student trying to pay for his tuition, until he was in his early 30’s trying to find shelter for his 3-year-old daughter: Mary Fisher. But bad decisions always seem to find their way back to nip you in the butt. That’s what happened to New York’s least dangerous super-villain the “Black Prowler”. He started out as a petty bank robber. Sometimes he would get away with it, and sometimes one of the other long-pajama people would catch him and put him in jail, the typical punishment for a lower level super-villain like him. Instead of the epic battles that most heroes would have with villains with they’re legion of henchmen to back them up, the Black Prowler just gets tripped by one leg from a random citizen while he’s running away from this week’s new super-hero with a bag of money. Falls flat right on his face with two weeks in jail. Curtis has been in every kind of jail cell since he was 18. Curtis never thought that he would be the number 1 enemy of every single lunatic wearing a cape and spandex in the super-hero community. But here he was driving a 17 year-old black jeep in some deserted desert with Mary in the passenger seat and his costume and gadgets in the back seat. He’s been in and out of jail for years and has been in the face of the most intimidating people he’s crossed, and still the scariest possibility to him was to be vaporized by some metahuman before he can see Mary graduate high school. Curtis didn’t know how long he could hide, but the only thing he cared for at the time was to make sure Mary was safe. That’s why he was driving an old black jeep in some barren wasteland with Mary in the passenger seat. However Curtis started to hear clanking machinery sounds from the hood of the jeep. The old hunk of black metal with wheels just broke down in the middle of no-where. He went to the back of the trunk; he grabbed all the important equipment such as clothes and his Black Prowler gear and stuffed them into his duffle bag. At this point Curtis felt like an idiot. He should have known that the jeep was not going to make it all the way to whatever town he was trying to go to. He was dumb to think that the old machine was able to bring them all the way to the deserts of Nevada, or wherever they are, Curtis didn’t have a good sense of geography. “Daddy?” a frail voice said from the passenger seat. Mary had just woke-up after falling asleep for eight hours. She jumped out of her seat down to the desert ground getting dust all over her blue and pink Nike shoes.

“Why have we stooped Daddy?”

Mary asked who showed proper English for a girl her age.

“Honey don’t be scared okay. The cars broken down and were going to have to walk the rest of the way to the town. Do you think you can do that doll face?”

Curtis asked sincerely because he knew that a girl her age shouldn’t be exposed to harsh these elements in this barren environment, she could be brown within an hour.

Mary and her father carried and dragged they’re equipment through the dusty deserted road. The environment reminded Marry of those reruns of old Road Runner cartoons. She didn’t know exactly where she was because like her father she didn’t know much about geography either. As far as she knows, the day care was just 10 miles away. They have been walking in Road Runner land for two hours and her feet were growing tired. The sun was bearing down on her blonde head.

“Here honey.”

Curtis said wrapping the arms of her jacket around her neck and covering her head with the hood.

“This will cover your head from the sun.”

“How much longer do we have to walk?” Mary whined.

“Until we reach the town, don’t worry honey, were almost there.”

Curtis reassured not really knowing if they were close. For all he knew they could be deserted in Road Runner land for weeks, maybe months. But lady luck finally decided to wave its magic wand and Curtis saw tiny buildings in the heat-stricken wavy distance.
“Finally!” Curtis yelled with relief.
“Is that the town Daddy?” Mary asked.
Curt picked Mary up with sheer joy and tossed her in the air. Mary was tired and didn’t know how to feel about her dad’s sudden burst of excitement. Then Curt held her tightly, she wrapped her small arms around his hairy neck. He decided to carry her rest of the way.
“Were going to be okay now, were going to stay here for a while, okay?”
“Okay Daddy.” Mary said dozing off and losing some grip of Curt’s neck.
They get to the small and dusty town. The town looked ancient and primitive when only seeing a few cars outside, some major super-markets like K-Mart, and Wal-Mart and many fast food restaurants. The town also consisted of a lot of home-made businesses, some nice apartment buildings and two or three motels. Curtis walked into town holding Mary and of course all the towns-people gave them funny looks. What woke-up Mary from her little nap was the sound of other little kids playing and laughing as they ran passed Curtis kicking a ball. Walking into this almost deserted town made him feel like Clint Eastwood walking into town all dirty from long travel and mysterious from “A Fist Full of Dollars”.

“Can I go play with them Daddy?” Mary asked just waking-up
“Maybe later, right now let’s get something to cool ourselves off real quick.”

Curtis was referring to the small Dairy Del that held one very old grumpy looking old-man and two teens, probably related judging by how similar their features were.

“Would you like some ice cream Mary?” Curtis asked.

Mary answered with two or more nods and a cheesy smile that revealed her two missing front teeth, a sight Curt hasn’t seen in so long that it lets him know that everything is all right. Curt sat they’re stuff at the little table next to the Dairy Del. Carrying Mary; Curtis went up to the counter to face the old cashier.

“What would you like?”
The old man said in a very dry and grizzly voice. “I’ll just take a vanilla on a cone, what would you like?” Curtis asked.
“Superman!” Mary sang smiling.
“And she’ll have that in a cup.” Curtis added

The old man typed some numbers into the cash register.

“That’ll be $3.50” he said.

Curtis reached for his pocket with his left hand, looking for the wallet that was not there. “Dammit” Curt thought. Even Mary looking felt nervous looking at Curt shuffling his left hand in his pocket. Then the words that Mary dreaded feared would come out of her father’s mouth:
“Sorry sir, I don’t have my wallet on me right now. Can you just give us the ice cream now and whenever I get a Job around here?”

“You either have to pay up front or come back when you have money” The old ice-cream said in a dry tone.

Mary began to breathe heavily and tears started to fill her eyes. “Please sir, we’ve been traveling in that desert for hours. The kid here is burning-up.”

Mary Cried some more into Curt’s shoulder.

“Sorry sir, store policy.”

Then Mary’s pupils disappeared leaving her eyes plain white, still blood-shot from the flood of tears. Little 3-year old Mary let out a scream so painfully and ridiculously loud, that the large sound waves coming out of her mouth which could be visibly seen, hit the Dairy Del like a giant tank being thrown at it. Cash register, money, the old cashier, the two teenagers, and huge chunks of the building were blown away by the impact of that loud sonic scream that came from the angry little-girl. The force of the scream even pushed Curtis back like a canon in his arms that destroyed the Dairy Del. As echoes of the scream still lingered in the air, Curtis and Mary were on the dusty ground. Curtis’s ears were actually bleeding as the sound still ringed in his ear. Mary, whose face was no longer red, got-up and was recuperating from a none self-aware state. She observed what she had done.

“Did I do that Daddy?”