Reminiscence | Teen Ink

Reminiscence

By Ancheer BRONZE, Arcadia, California
Ancheer BRONZE, Arcadia, California

Strive to be the best. Or else, don't even try.

“Hurry, Jade,” Jason urges. I feel as if my heart is pounding out of my chest, and I am barely keeping up with Jason’s fast paces. He glances back at me as he gasps for breath. I attempt to form sounds from my throat, but fail. Slowly, Jason’s back fades into the deep forest. I collapse into the soft ground of the Amazon. “Jason!” I cry. Blackness overwhelms me. Gravity pulls me downward, and I am falling, falling, falling…

“Are you okay, madam?” A fish waves her fins in front of my face. I slowly open my eyes, and see a world of turquoise water. I feel as if a piece lost from a puzzle; something is definitely missing. I try to “collect” the pieces of this puzzle together, but an intense buzzing sound in my brain distracts me from doing so. I squint at the blatantly white sun and ask, “Who am I?”

The fish flirtatiously bats her eyes and stares at me. Suddenly, she bursts into an enraptured laughter, “You are so funny!” Despite my attempt to try to calm her, the fish continues to roll on the sandy seabed in tears. I sigh and shrug. I glance around this world of underwater that I do not know of. Who am I? Why am I here? Again, this intense buzzing sound in my brain blocks me from entering my own mind. I have a premonition that the bunny is an actor; I can sense this by my previous life experiences. Hmm. Maybe I am gaining back some memory.

A glittering blue lays twenty feet away; a hymn of the sound of angels rings in my ears. They enchant and allure me to walk towards them. All the fish surrounding me are swimming in the opposite direction. Even though they are speaking English, they are all chanting one Gibberish phrase, “prophecy assert come! Prophecy come!” Their “faces” are lightened with exuberance. The glittering blue and hymn are calling for me, but the “prophecy” that the fish are chanting about turns me around.

An enormous edifice of Poseidon’s Palace appears before me, and I stroll into the castle with the flow of crowd. Ten doors, each, with a different color, are aligned into a semi-circle. Apparently, the fish are sorted into the door of their skin color. One door of peach is empty. I stare at my hand, and walk into the peach door.

Behind the door, a dark, steep, but warm stairway leads to the the underworld. I can sense the increasing warmth of life and love as I walk down the stairway, until I stop in front of a wall of papers. My heart guides me to pick a green paper from the wall, and it reads, “Down the stairway, feeling the love ray, something will say, you are not far from your way.” That’s a great rhyme, but what does it mean? My unconscious mind and premonitions have been guiding my way ever since I arrived in this world, but where is my way? I am not even sure of the purpose of my existence here!

I peer all the papers from the wall, and see a small mirror. I stare at a girl with pale face and long, wavy, blonde hair in the mirror. I take the mirror off the wall, and climb through the hole where the mirror was placed.

A crossroad lays ahead with two directional arrows: Your Heart and Your Memory. My memory is obviously important, but I would rather trust my heart that will not lie to me. Beside the road to Your Heart, there are tiny little flowers made of scrolls. I open one “scroll” that says, Jason. Suddenly, my eyes are swelling and my throat becomes dry. Why is this name making me uneasy? I wipe the tears streaming down my face with my sleeve, but the surrounding watery environment makes me look idiotic.

As I continue on the road, random dilapidated barns are crowded with fish drinking at the pubs. My thirst from reading the word “Jason” pleads to drink with them, but exigence to regain my heart overrules. I start running, faster, and faster, until I collapse into the soft ground. The flashback starts to project like a movie:

I feel a strong force pulling me up from the ground, and slowly open my eyes. There, Jason, is encircling me in his brawny arms. I hug him to rub the loneliness and fear off on him. I try to question everything that happened, but Jason waves in front my eyes. Blackness overwhelms me. I fall asleep.