Power Outage | Teen Ink

Power Outage

By Brelaw67 PLATINUM, Evansville, Wisconsin
Brelaw67 PLATINUM, Evansville, Wisconsin

My own experience is that once a story has been written, one has to cross out the beginning and the end. It is there that we authors do most of our lying.
- Anton Chekhov

Power Outage

I looked up at the clock wondering when this crap would end. It just shouldn’t have felt this long.

I was in math right now zoning in and out of Mr. Smeeks long and dried out lesson on how calculus worked. It wasn’t that I wasn’t prepared for the first day, with the long boring rules and what the classes were about. No it was just that I couldn’t wait for school to be over with today.

We’d planned this trip for a couple months now and it was coming to a slow halt.

Mr. Smeeks outstretched his long boney arm and was about to repeat his rules when the power went out.

Finally something interesting happened!

Everyone jumped up in excitement, even Hansel who had been drifting in and out of sleep.

Mr. Smeeks looked like he was going to explode.

“Everyone sit down and shut up!” He snapped.

All of us stared up at him for a minute then went back to talking. Mr. Smeeks sighed then opened the door and peered out into the hall.

Every one of us grew silent listening in anticipation.

After a minute I stood up wondering what was going on. Mr. Smeeks never came back and we were standing there doing nothing.

I looked at Ansel awaiting his nod. Ansel was my best friend who had fortunately been placed in the same math class.

Ansel shrugged sending me into motion.

The hall was full of shadows and ghastly dark. I walked out further looking around searching for Mr. Smeeks. Where could he be?

I started walking around the corner and a moment later I was ambushed by a blood chilling scream.

I pushed up against the wall hoping nothing was going to happen to me. I pushed until I thought the wall was going to push back. I looked around the corner and saw Mr. Smeeks lying on the floor with a man standing over him.

“Where is she Smeeks?” The man exclaimed. Mr. Smeeks sat up staring at his finger as if it were doing tricks. Something wasn’t right about it. It almost looked like his finger was cut off.

“You won’t get to her John!” Mr. Smeeks exclaimed. The man pulled Mr. Smeeks up by what little hair he had left on his head.

“You know well now that I’ll do whatever to find that girl so you’d better start talking before I do it again!” He snapped kicking him in the golden jewels area. Mr. Smeeks fell over coughing and groaning.

I wanted to cry. Mr. Smeeks was doing everything he could to protect whoever this girl was and was paying for it.

The man pulled Mr. Smeeks up again. I found blood dripping out at the seams. I was so close to letting out a sob. I backed into the wall again trying to keep myself from making a noise or being seen.

The man grabbed Mr.Smeeks’s finger and twisted it until I heard a snap. I almost hurled. Poor Mr. Smeeks!

Mr. Smeeks screamed again and looked up at the man in pure terror.

“Now tell, where is the girl?!” The man snapped again. Mr. Smeeks shook his head sending the man shoving Mr. Smeeks to the ground on his stomach. Mr.Smeeks quickly turned as the man pulled out a gun.

My heart dropped. What was I supposed to do? Mr. Smeeks was about to die!

“I’ll just find her myself!” He yelled pulling the trigger. A sob escaped my mouth. The man’s eyes snapped over here and I felt like falling over. I held my breath in waiting for the man to walk away, but it never came.

“You, come out!” The man snapped pointing the gun in my direction. I froze.

When I didn’t move the man started speeding towards me. That was all it took to send me into action and running for the classroom.

Where was everyone? Did the man shoot everyone? I looked back and found the man sprinting towards me.

“Stop before I shoot!” He yelled. There was no way I was going to listen to him. I had to get to the classroom and lock it before he tried getting to everyone.

I slid into the classroom and found everyone peering out at the hallway in terror.

“Lock the door!” I snapped. Everyone was crowded in front of me now. No one snapped into action.

“Are you deaf; there’s a guy out there with a gun!” I yelled. Ansel pushed through the crowd and stared me down.

“What happened?” Ansel asked, “where’s Mr. Smeeks?”

“He’s dead now lock the door!” I yelled. Ansel nodded and went to close the door when an arm reached out and grabbed Ansel’s shirt pulling him out.

I felt like I was going to pass out. Everyone screamed and backed away.

“Help!” Ansel screeched. No one did anything. Soon the door swung open and the man walked in holding Ansel. He pointed his gun at Ansel’s head and pulled out a picture.

I slid into the crowd.

“Where’s this young lady; Brailey Goodman?” The man asked. I felt my face get hot and felt my heart stop. It was unbelievably hard to breathe in here.

“Show me before I shoot!” He yelled. Everyone backed up an inch leaving me in the center of the circle.

The man smiled a creepy smile and let go of Ansel.

“Come, Brailey.” He said. I shook my head.

The man scowled and pointed the gun at me.

“You saw what happened; you know what will happen if you don’t listen.” He said.

I couldn’t bring myself to move. I looked back at Ansel finding him with tears in his eyes.

“Don’t go with him, Brailey!” He exclaimed. I felt like crying.

The man kicked him making me snap into action.

“Leave him alone!” I yelled flinging myself at the man. The man pointed the gun at me again making me halt.

“Don’t make me shoot you.” He said. I swallowed hard making it feel like I was choking.

“Why are you here?” I questioned him.

“That’s not relevant information.” He said.

“If you’re going to take me you can at least tell me why.” I replied. The man looked around at all of the students.

“It’s classified.” He said. I was perplexed. Classified?

I heard sirens. I heard sirens! That meant that the police were here! I looked around and found other relieved faces then turned back to see that the man was panicking.

“Come here before I shoot him!” The man yelled. I felt my eyes widening.

“Leave him alone!” I yelled. The man twisted his head as if he were having troubles staying calm. Obviously I could see why.

“Brailey now!” He yelled. I stood my ground and was rewarded with hope.

“It’s the Police; put the gun down!”

It took a deep breath feeling the relief wash over me. The man glared at me then let Ansel go.

“You have the right to remain silent.” The policeman said grabbing the gun out of the man’s hands.

This piece isn't my best article, but I was bored one day after finals waiting to leave the school so I took out a pencil and notebook and began writing.It took my ten minutes and I was kind of surprised how it turned out.