A Day as Death | Teen Ink

A Day as Death

By Lassie BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Lassie BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

September 25

Fall is beginning, and with it the cold and flu season. I don’t look forward to it- those types of deaths are always messy. And usually the very young or very elderly- so please, please, for the love of death, wash your hands.

I don’t really know why I’m writing this- my therapist told I should start this diary and vent. I really understand where he’s coming from, but I don’t think it will make much of a difference. None of the others like me- not Life, not Magic, not even Power- they distrust me. All of them. Life resents my actions, undoing his work- it isn’t me. It’s in their nature to die. I just… take them to the afterlife.

And what’s with all those cultists? Black robes, blood magic- that’s not even… why would you… misrepresentation, much? I don’t even wear robes, I wear sweater vests. Yeah, go ahead and laugh, but I have to keep up a friendly reputation or I’ll be excommunicated from the mystical quadrarchy.

I’m not even kidding. Life, the so-called “head honcho” of us four says that if I don’t make an effort to kill less or at least seem to kill less, I’ll be booted out! Then what would you have? Billions upon billions of spirits just trapped in limbo, or doing stupid things like trying to reincarnate into a rock or something.

And on the subject of reincarnation- NO. Just stop. I’m not going to reincarnate you into a wolf, or a fox, and for good reason- YOU’LL LOSE. YOUR. HUMANITY. There’s a reason wolves and foxes don’t speak, or reason, or anything like that. It’s because they’re NOT. HUMAN. If you stick yourself in a wolf body, you’ll become nothing more than an animal. Since animals don’t have souls, you won’t be able to come to the afterlife, and you’ll become another limbo beast that I have to exterminate! I don’t have time for that! It took Power and Life combined to come down here and sort that out like last time, and just… stop!

Besides, Life will never get around to reincarnation anyway. He never does. He’s always busy with the ‘currently living,’ as if they’ll be alive for long. He and Power always get into little scrabbles and I end up with a war that I need to clean up.

God, I miss the Age of Heroes. Well, Age of Hero in Particular. I miss Jannithe. She was our champion, see- and when I say our champion, I really mean OUR champion. She heralded all of us- even me. She, after proving herself in battle, received an enchanted metal from each of us- the Ghost Steel from myself, the Light Iron from Life, the Bluestone from Magic, and the Red Mithril from Power. She had Power smelt it into a sword and oh, it was a beautiful sword.

She’s gone now, though. No one knows where her tomb lies- some say it’s back in her simple farmland where she grew up, some say it lies far across the hills of the Frozen North. No one knows, not even myself. But come to think of it, I don’t remember actually escorting her to the afterlife…

Look at where the time’s gone. I’ve got a few errands to run before the night, so it looks like this is goodbye. Therapist was right- this IS a really great venting tool. I’ll be sure to write more entries in the future. Until then, goodbye.

writing prompt, used to flesh out some of the lore behind my fantasy universe