BrideZilla's Main Course | Teen Ink

BrideZilla's Main Course

September 4, 2013
By Mariellesalem SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Mariellesalem SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
5 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."


It’s been approximately 3 months since our engagement. As I remember, that day was the happiest day of my life...but it won’t be for long. I’ve been dreaming about my wedding day for as long as I can remember. The invitations, the flowers, the bridesmaids, and oh who could forget…THE DRESS. Jeremy and I were high school sweat hearts. As the cliché says, “It was love at first sight.” He’s everything I’ve always wanted and even more, if possible. He’s perfect, well, almost perfect. It’s his mother that drives me insane. “Sally at the wedding,” she’d say, “don’t serve salmon as the main course, my third cousins once removed would probably rather steak.” To my surprise, I answered, “Of course not,” even though I do have a taste for fish. My actual thoughts at that moment and the words that came out of my mouth completely clashed. Do I really care about her third cousins who I know will probably only make a 10 minute appearance? No, I do not. January 6 is going to be my day and my day only. But why am I unable to verbalize these thoughts of mine? Why don’t I have the courage to speak for myself instead of agreeing with whatever Barbara says/commands? This is where an identical twin would come in handy. She’d be able to tell off this woman and give her a piece of my own mind. In 1...2...3...it hit me, a light bulb went off in my head. “That’s it,” I thought to myself, “I could do it.”

I ran up to the attic. The only sounds made were the footsteps I took pacing back and forth, and the hand of the clock ticking the seconds away. Out of frustration, I quickly grabbed a notebook and sat myself down next to the beat up, outdated desk in the corner of the room. There had to be a way I could create a being that only differed from myself, in which, it could do simply what I couldn’t, say-“NO.” This creation of mine has to possess the qualities that I fail to bring to the table. Since my nature is as sweet as sugar and honey, its time to digest a touch of bitterness. Running to the kitchen, I gathered an array of bitter items that would give me the edge I needed. I collected some vinegar, hot pepper, horse radish and to wipe the permanent smile off my face a bit of lemon. As I mixed this concoction the powerful smell filled my nostrils and lungs before I even had a chance to drink it. I held my nose tight, closed my eyes and in three gulps it was all gone.

At 9 o’clock, PM, a new woman came to life. She looked like Sally, she walked like Sally, and she dressed like Sally, but she was most definitely not the shy and reserved girl who didn’t know how to speak her mind. The monster that I created inside of myself was intended to be everything that I couldn’t be. She was the Yin to my Yang. The BrideZilla in me was intimidated by NO ONE, especially overbearing mother in-laws. With a spoonful of confidence and a dash of tact, BrideZilla was fully equipped to handle any situation that came her way.


The author's comments:
My English teacher gave my class an assignment in which we had to "create a monster." My objective has always been to be as objective as possible. That's when I thought: a metaphorical monster. Everyone deserves to find their voice, or what I call, their BrideZilla.