The Four Seasons

Long long ago, during a very misogynistic time, there lived a father with the most beautiful and sweet daughter in all the land. When she turned 18, she had four suitors: A prince, a warrior, a farmer, and a sorcerer.

To these suitors the father asked: "Prove to me which one of you is worthy of the hand of my beloved daughter."

The prince went first. He was pampered his whole life. His watery blue eyes were haughty and he had a snobby sharp nose that tilted upwards. His hands were white and smooth, for he never did any manual labor in his life. He dressed in royal clothing and a feathered cap adorned his golden locks. He bought the maiden countless bouquets of beautiful flowers. "These are the tokens of my love," the prince said. "With my riches, I can buy you all the flowers in the world, or anything else your heart desires." The maiden was charmed by the flowers, and her father was as well.

The warrior went second. He was a stocky tanned man with rippling skin and dark brown locks streaming down his back like a wild steed. His dark eyes flared like lightning when he was angry. As a demonstration of his worth, he burned down countless villages of the father's enemies, sparing no one. He said, "See how powerful I am? Whole villages burn before my power." The maiden swooned at his strength, and the father was impressed.

The farmer went third. He had an honest and dependable look. His gray eyes were serene and he was strong and sturdy. He brought wagonloads of fruits and crops. "I have so many fruits and crops to harvest!" he declared. "You will never go hungry in your life!" The maiden loved the fruit and the gluttonous father wolfed the food up.

The sorcerer went last. He was a much different person than the other suitors, with his peaked black hat, black robe and magical staff with a celestial violet orb on top. He had straight, jet-black hair and intelligent frosty pale violet eyes. Tall and lanky, he did not look very strong. Of the suitors, he was the youngest and the same age as the maiden. He was jaded and did not look as confident as the prince, warrior, and farmer.

It took him a long time to gather the courage to talk to the father. In a clear but shy, wispy voice, as if he had not spoken in ages, he declared, " I can do everything they can do (pointing at the other suitors), do it better, and do other things besides. But you will have to give me 4 days to show you this very complicated magic."

The father was eager for the gifts of the sorcerer, and asked him to begin. The sorcerer brandished his magical staff prepared to show off his magic.

The first day, he made spring. All of the plants and trees burst into bloom. Never had there been so many flowers before. The whole sunny sky was filled with a dewy fragrance and a rainbow of flowers covered the meadows. The sorcerer plucked a rose and gave it to the maiden, saying, "The only thing on Earth more beautiful than these flowers are you." He blushed and continued, "If the prince's few bouquets show his love for you, then my meadows and my spring show my love for you."(yes the sorcerer is a very cheesy guy).

The second day, he made summer. The sorcerer made the sun glow bright and fiery like a giant hot ball of lava. The whole world sweated under the heat. The sorcerer declared, "Who is more powerful? The feeble warrior who can burn a couple of villages on Earth or the talented sorcerer who can make the sun in the heavens burn brighter and fiercer, to make the flames of the star that hangs in the sky bend to do his bidding, to slave all summer?"

The third day, he made autumn. Using summer's fiery energy, the sorcerer made all the trees and plants' flowers of spring ripen into fruit and crops. The whole countryside was covered in bountiful crops to harvest, there was enough food that day to feed the entire village. "I can make more things grow autumn than the farmer can ever grow in his lifetime," the sorcerer stated.

The fourth day, the sorcerer spent more time thinking. The first three seasons, spring, summer, and autumn were based on the gifts of the prince, warrior, and farmer, so the fourth must be the sorcerer's own special gift, his own special season, one that represented him. So finally the sorcerer came up with his final season. The grand finale. Winter.

Waving his magical staff in the air, the skilled sorcerer made clouds gather in the sky and rain out diamonds and crystals as fine as lace. They were beautiful and delicate like spinning pristine doilies. The father was flabbergasted. The sorcerer was completely satisfied with his beautiful winter. "This is my very own gift to you. And so, may I marry the maiden? I have proven myself," The sorcerer asked.

But the father was sly. He was a greedy man and wanted more of the sorcerer's gifts. "Well, well well," he simpered. "You are so very talented. Can you make this magic last for all year round? I would very much like the flowers, sunshine, fruit, and diamonds be in endless supply."

The sorcerer was flattered and he loved the maiden very very much so even though he knew making the 4 seasons last all year round would take most of his magical power, he did it. Now he was sure of his success in winning the maiden until the father broke into laughter.

"You stupid sorcerer! I'd never let you marry my daughter. Sorcerers are all evil. Everyone knows their power comes from the devil's very own hands! I just wanted all your gifts, and you fell for it, you simpleton! And you know you’re too weak to take it all back!" Then the father forced the maiden to marry the prince.

The sorcerer was outraged. His violet eyes flashed, and he vowed revenge. He knew that the father was indeed right; he was too weak to take the 4 seasons back. But he found a new way for vengeance.

The sorcerer used what was left of his remaining magic to change all the diamonds and crystals of his very own season, winter, into dangerous ice. The ice of winter was so cold and harsh that it destroyed the flowers of spring, blocked out the sunshine of summer, and froze the fruits and crops of autumn.

"It is fitting how the crystals and diamonds of my love has frozen over into ice..like my cold heart," said the sorcerer.

Thus with his own wrath, the sorcerer destroyed all his handiwork.

Then the sorcerer vowed to leave this particular kingdom forever, leaving behind his legacy of love,...and rage.
But the princess loved the sorcerer, and despaired to see him go. She promised to visit him whenever she could escape the clutches of the prince. On those days, winter became sunny and mild benign, the snowflakes caressing upturned cheeks and eager faces.
And with new hope, the year would start over again.