The Path of The Rainbow | Teen Ink

The Path of The Rainbow

By soulkey SILVER, Hamburg, Pennsylvania
soulkey SILVER, Hamburg, Pennsylvania

I strolled in welcome by various greetings and friendly smiles. There was voices and laughter. My tired body seemed to be slightly strengthened, by their enthusiasm for life all around me. This place was special. The inhabitants of this kingdom were always joyous. They always had celebrations, to celebrate the many wonders of life. They were all very diverse. Different races, ages, the rich, the poor all lived as one harmonic song. Every one was welcome here. Strangers were always treated like friends. Even those who were like me: a mix of elf and human.

I instantly knew that my heart would always belong here. Finally, for the first time in my life I felt accepted. I
was
home. “Olim...” I whispered it's sweet, sweet name. Then the war came...

It's glory reduced to ashes. There were many burnt buildings just barely standing. Ready to crumble at any moment. The survivors were just as fragile. They were trapped in their grief from the loss of those dear to them. Poor and starving. For many their grief turned into anger at the unfairness of it all. And combined with desperation for simple necessities such as food and clothing. Crime rapidly broke out. Gang wars shook the city everyday, in hellish violence. Always taking a few innocent lives from this world with them. Corruption within the government grew and spread like a wild fire. Tainting Olim with further injustices. My home murdered before my very own eyes. All I wanted was to restore Olim to it's former greatness. I was determined. Then, finally I found a way.

*************

The wind was blowing my white hair all around. My white hair strongly contrasted with my brown eyes, making them look almost black. My ears were generally the same size and shape of a human's. With the exception of the very tips that were slightly pointed. We flew through puffy cloud after puffy cloud. The birds were fairly comfortable with our presence. They could sense Regalia's aura of good and kindness. As queen of the unicorns she always had that effect on all good creatures and beings. The elvish side of me allowed me to hear her concerned thoughts,

“Lulu, are you sure you have the skills and experience to fight him? He's both an experienced fighter and serial killer. And who knows what other abilities he may posses.”

“I know. I will defeat him. I
have
to.”

I wonder how many centuries he's been murdering, I thought. How many innocent lives has he taken? It was difficult to fathom how one evil leprechaun could cause so much damage. It was said that he took valuable items from his victims as trinkets. It was also said he kept his gold in a pot in a magical place at the end of the rainbow. All you had to do was walk down The Path of the Rainbow and you would find all the treasure. I wonder how many of the stories and rumors are true. Not that it mattered. I would find out soon enough. Besides, karma catches up with all good and evil, and today I was karma's servant. With all the gold I would be able to rebuild Olim, and give it to the poor and starving. This could be the first step in Olim's new beginning.

The rainbow was very close now. I could see it's vibrant colors up ahead. I directed my attention to Reg and said, “ You ready?”

“Yes”, she thought.

We finally got to the rainbow. Reg got close enough that I could jump onto the path safely.

“ Be careful, Luleli.” She then swooped down to the ground. She knew this was something I needed to do alone.

I walked along the bright colors cautiously. After all the days and nights of searching. And I was finally here: The Path of the Rainbow. Where no one else dared to venture! Clouds were all around me. Then, the colorful path became slide-like as I slid down. I slid through a few fluffy clouds.

Then I saw it! The big black pot at the end of the rainbow! But where is the gold? And where is he? Plop! Out of the black pot a bunch of tiny leprechauns appeared all at once. They all began running towards quite swiftly despite their small size. One massive army of mischievous leprechauns. I stood my ground. I had my sword out and I was ready to attack. They all pounced me in unison as one big tiger.

I did my best to shake them off. I stomped at them, tried to smoosh them and whack them off me, but there were so many! They began crawling all over me. Biting me all over. I was being eaten alive! I fought all I could despite this. There's no way I'm going to let an army of tiny leprechauns defeat me!

My skin was practically coated in biting teeth on my skin. I resisted the urge to scream as their sharp little teeth tormented me. I was drowning in an ocean of sharp leprechaun teeth. I could feel my skin breaking as it was gnawed on. Blood pouring from me like a crimson waterfall. Then an idea came to me.

I let myself fall to the ground. I landed face first. I heard screams for a split second but then they stopped. I rolled around. Back and forth. Careful that I didn't roll off the rainbow pathway. I did this for what seemed like several minutes. Then all the leprechauns were as flat as pancakes. I of course was painted in their blood and looked quite grotesque.

I was very sore and I was covered in many small wounds from being bitten. Regardless, I walked over to the large black pot. Drops of red streamed off of me as I did. I wanted to get a closer look. I was worried that I would look within and find nothing. But I knew the gold was somewhere. When I peered inside, the gold wasn't there but there was something...a portal.

Where does it lead? Only one way to find out. I jumped in.

I felt myself falling. Then I suddenly hit the ground. In one hard crash. I looked around, as I slowly got to my feet. I was in a huge room filled with mountains of gold. I never saw so much treasure in my life! I suddenly got a really bad feeling. Then I heard a dark laugh. I spun around instantly. It was him.

Naturally he wore green and had a top hat adorned in a four leaf clover to match his green outfit. He was so skinny that he was almost bony. Except his stomach that was out of proportion with the rest of his twig-like body. It was somewhat chubby. Naturally he was short in stature. He also had thin white-blonde hair, that appeared almost see-through and matched his pale skin color. His eyes were a strange combination of yellow and orange.

He appeared friendly and harmless, but I knew better.

“Finnie Warkpottz,” I said.

“Awwe, so you've heard of me. How wonderful! I was just wishing for a new playmate!”

He began puffing on his pipe and out of it there was an eruption of smoke that swirled around, that formed human figures.

Ghosts...

A dozen of them! They all surrounded me. And wasted no time in their attack. I took my long sword and slashed at the one nearest to me but it went right through it's misty chest.

They're ghosts they can't be killed! What am I goin-

One attempted to stab me. I dodged it. They all began swinging their swords at me. Moving quickly, disappearing and reappearing. I evaded their attacks all I could. Trying to avoid they're deadly blows. In the corner of my eye I saw Finnie jumping up and down merrily.

“You can't dance with death forever, sweetie!” Then he laughed a loud joyful laugh that was filled with sickening evil. I felt a chill go up my spine.

He's right. I have to think of something...and fast!

Hmmm...

I ducked another slash aimed at my head, and managed to make my way towards Finnie unscathed. I charged at him. He had a creepy yet child-like grin on his face. His yellow-orangy eyes became a blazing fire of determination and excitement.

I slashed my long sword at him fiercely, but he disappeared right as my sword was about to contact him. I heard him chuckle behind me. I spun around, just in time to parry his attack. Our swords clashed in a song of clanking metal. He had a pointy long sword adorned in many gems. I had to duck and jump and step this way and that way, trying to avoid the ghosts and the leprechaun scum, all at once. I spun. And moved not daring to stay in the same place. Finnie disappeared and reappeared in blurrs. I came to realize that he was not vanishing he was actually moving unnaturally fast. He was a speedy little devil!

I tried to keep my pace and timing just right. Even the tinniest of miscalculation could be fatal for me. I swirled and right as Finnie was about to run in another blurred movement behind me, I stretched out my foot. It caught his feet. He thrashed to the ground. He was in shock for a second. I took advantage of the opportunity and swung my sword at him aiming for his chest. He gathered his wits back together and rolled to the left, my sword just slightly scratching him. He jumped back onto his feet and went to stab me. I parried. As his sword smashed against mine my blade shattered into pieces. He licked his lips. He was going in for the kill. In a large lump of gold beside me my eye caught a golden handle with intricate designs. I dodged toward it right as he swung his sword.

As my fingers grasped the handle a surge of protection and courage suddenly filled me. I pulled it out and swung it at Finnie. In that brief second as I swung the sword his fiery eyes turned to fear. There was a flash of light. It was so bright it blinded me. Then as quickly as it came it was gone. He instantly fell to the ground. The ghost warriors instantly disappeared in puffs of smoke that faded as they rose and went through the ceiling.

He dropped to the ground. His hat toppled off his head.

Finnie Warkpottz was dead.

I looked at the magnificent sword I had grabbed in that moment of desperation. I had a hard time fathoming what was before me. The blade was long and huge, and it was carved out of a diamond. It was a diamond sword. It glowed before my eyes. I stared in wonder and watched as the glow slowly faded. I breathed heavily my body soaked with sweat. I noticed a few cuts here and there that I did not recall receiving. I took a moment to bask in my great victory. Barely able to contain my euphoria. But then suddenly thousands of glowing lights rushed out of his hat. The glimmering orbs went through the ceiling. I don't know how but somehow I knew what they were. Trapped souls, of all the unfortunate victims Finnie had killed and then enslaved.

The glowing lights continued more and more. It was like large glowing raindrops falling up in billions. I couldn't believe all the souls I had freed by ending the horrible Finnie Warkpottz.

I wanted to stay there and watch as all the souls went up into the afterlife, hopefully finding peace. But I had a task to complete and needed to get moving. So, I walked over to Finnie's body and gently took off the four leaf clover off his hat. It was said that if you killed a leprechaun you would be cursed to bad luck the rest of your life. So, I took the four-leaf clover to counter the bad luck.

Okay, I've been here long enough. I need to take as much of the treasure as I can and get moving. I began filling my pocket and my backpack until they were overflowing. I threw a bunch of golden necklaces around my neck until all the treasure was weighing me down. My back was already beginning to hurt. I was also started to feel a little tired.

Then the diamond sword began glowing again. I felt the warmth of the magic rush through me. Filling me with strength and intoxicating peace poured within me like purifying water of healing. It's magic was like a big hug inside and out. I looked at the majestic sword and it was glowing faintly.
I then looked around for some sort of exit. But there were no doors or windows anywhere.

How am I going to get out?

I carefully pulled out the four-leaf clover. For some reason the good luck it gave me provided some comfort. I held it like it was very fragile in my hand. I decided to momentarily close my eyes. To give myself a moment to mentally relax after all the excitement I've just endured. When I felt my mind was at ease, I opened my eyes again. Standing right in front of me was a magical door.

Is this another portal?

Where did it come from?

Ah, who cares I just want to get out of here.

For some strange reason I could sense where it would lead. I quickly opened the door. I took one last good look at this glorious room, then walked through.

I was correct. I was back on the rainbow path again. The souls were still rising into the sky. The sky was now splashed with many pretty colors. Different shades of orange and little hints of pale pink and a tiny bit of subtle pale yellow. The sun was beginning to set now.

The sunlight shined upon my diamond sword and reflected off of it a vibrant rainbow. I had a long way to travel get back to Olim. Just as the last of the suns' light was going to disappear I jumped off the rainbow path and as expected Reg caught me.

My loyal friend.

Reg and I soared through the clouds and sky, eager to return home.