J.A.B.'s Guide to Directing | Teen Ink

J.A.B.'s Guide to Directing

June 6, 2013
By Xandy_Day PLATINUM, Lexington, Kentucky
Xandy_Day PLATINUM, Lexington, Kentucky
27 articles 2 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm living in a world of goldfish."


Foreword

So you’ll be forewarned- if you are truly about to read this book, you are opening your world to a hidden evil as old as education itself. Unless you are in dire need of this information, I suggest you close the book, place it back where you found it, and slowly exit the room. The Hands are sure to already be watching.

What Are The Directors?

The Directors are a godsend, literally (or supposedly, it just depends on how you look at it). They are just regular people who happen to draw the short straw in life. No one knows if it’s genetic or if it occurs because of some sort of personality trait. Their name appears in the Book of Blood and they Change.

The Gift

Supposedly, the Change is the Gift of the Gods settling into the new Director’s body. The Gift consists of a vast knowledge of almost every subject and a calm confidence that steals over the unfortunate person. I personally believe the newfound confidence is to make them less afraid when they are about to be killed, but that’s just my opinion. They also received a sixth sense, as some people would call it; I say it’s just part of the Gift. Anyway, they become able to sense trouble within their school.

Why They Exist

In the tales that The Directors receive with their knowledge, there is a story about the Greek gods creating the first Director out of desperation. They say that the gods knew that their time was coming to an end, and they didn’t want all of their wisdom to vanish with them. So, Zeus sent Athena to find someone worthy to receive the Knowledge of the Gods and to become the teacher of a new Era. In Athens, she found a woman that possessed an extraordinary gift with children but could not have any of her own. Sensing that this woman would be perfect, Athena brought her back to Mount Olympus. In the gods’ library, she placed her hand on the back of the woman’s head and all of the knowledge and wisdom flowed into her head, creating the first Director. Later, when she was at the end of her life, she found someone who she felt was worthy to receive the Gift and passed it along.
History of The Directors

There have been many great Directors, but we are not to mention them by name, due to the sensation it would cause if the truth ever came out. But they have been leaders, scholars, inventors, and many other great things. They have helped shape our country in and out of schools. The whole country was theirs to educate, and they overthrew tyrants with the power of their words.

The Book of Blood

The Book of Blood is an almost sacred book to the Directors. It was the book that the first Director wrote the name of the next Director in. It exists solely to inform The Director of his/her successor. Inside it is the name of every Director that has ever existed, and occasionally, the names of future Directors appear in it. There is only one copy per school, and it is usually guarded with the life of the Protector.

What They Do

Directors are actually one of the most influential secret societies ever in existence. They are in charge of the future. A long time ago, the gods realized that children are the future of the world; raise them right and the world keeps spinning. Raise them wrong, and everything goes to Hell. The Directors run schools around the world, instilling morals into our children and protecting education itself from The Hands.

Signs of The Director

You can tell when someone is The Director by how they behave. Try talking Plato to them and they’ll know exactly what you’re talking about. Start a fight and they’ll show up very quickly to stop it. Put them in front of a crowd of thousand, and they’ll glide right through their speech with no problems. Also, on the back of their head (where the first Director received the gift), there will be a birthmark of an eagle grasping a book in its talons.

If you’re trying to determine who the new Director is, there will be tell-tale signs. Now, don’t quote me on this because the signs differ from person to person. But, under usual circumstances, they become extremely ill for almost a week and sleep for several days after that. I once saw a young man who seemed to have advanced cancer for around eleven days and slept for a full week before completely changing. And once, I saw a woman whose body rejected the change, causing her to slip into a fatal coma. So reactions are very widespread, so you must watch carefully. This is a very delicate time, and any touch without the purest intentions will cause the Change to crash, killing the person Changing. Be very careful; your definition of ‘pure’ may not match Athena’s.
Anti-Directors

The Hands are the people who want to end The Directors. They are evil, vile, corrupt people who dislike and completely disapprove of anything remotely educational (which is slightly hypocritical considering the higher into the ranks they go, the higher the education they have). This holds especially true for their leader, The Higher End. At one point, they were probably regular students who had a hard time, but other Hands (usually teachers) have approached them, telling them how much better life is once you’ve joined. The rest of the Hands were inducted as they went through college to become math or science teachers. Usually these teachers take special interests in their ‘problem children’.

The Higher End

Some people say Cronus made the spirit of The Higher End himself; others say that his soul was born from the deepest, darkest pit of the underworld. I personally believe he has no soul, but whatever the story may be, he is evil. His only goal is the destruction of the future, and he’s been working on it since the beginning of education. He works toward his goal by corrupting children and halting education, and for fun, he tries to turn Directors. Once the future has been overthrown, I believe his plan is to seize control and educate people his own way. (Hitler was his prodigy child; he corrupted him, leading to the reeducation of the German nation.) He is an ancient spirit that travels from soul to soul, possessing the most evil people he can find around him.

The Problems They Pose

If The Hands should ever take control, they would end education. By ending education, they would throw the world into Chaos, upsetting the delicate balance of good and evil, right and wrong, etc etc. There would be no more economy, infrastructure, systems of any sort, or anything remotely like government. As any half-skilled Social Studies teacher would tell you, it would be like plunging the world back into the Dark Ages. All of these new revolutions and technologies would be gone, and it would take centuries to get them back. And while The Higher End doesn’t die, I can assure you that the rest of us wouldn’t be as patient.

If a Director Quits

Consult the Book of Blood. The name of the new Director should appear as soon as the previous one quits. In order for a Director to quit they must say, “The end is the end is the end.” If I were the librarian, I would keep a close eye on the Book; The Higher End may have a copy also.

If a Director Goes Over

Heaven forbid it should happen, but if it does, the Director must be destroyed immediately. If they manage to team up with The Higher End it would spell the end for us all. Columbine is just one of the numerous examples of what happens when a Director teams up with one of The Hands (not even The Higher End).

If a Director Dies

Consult the Book of Blood for the name of the new Director. It should appear as soon as the previous Director’s heart stops. The Gift moves much like The Higher End’s spirit, only to pure people rather than evil.

Protectors

Just as the Directors have their own power, they have their weaknesses. Usually they don’t know that they are becoming the Director, so they are at a higher risk of falling to The Hands before the Gift ever descends. The Hands also attack when the Director’s body is adjusting to the Gift. So, when they are at their most vulnerable, they need a Protector. In my experience, this is usually a librarian, but is not limited to that.

As a Protector, your sole job is to PROTECT THE DIRECTOR. You must be there to Protect them as they undergo the Change, and be there when it’s over to explain what’s happening to them. You must keep the Book of Blood safe, and keep the Director alive AT ALL COSTS.

Author’s Note

I’m just a librarian, and this book is just a guide. Nothing is certain to follow along with this. These are just things I’ve notice in all my years of Protecting. I’ve also noticed that History and English teachers usually become Directors, and librarians are usually their faithful helpers. I have personally never met The Higher End (Thank God), and I hope I never do.

If you are a librarian, keep your Director alive.

If you are the Director, good luck. Don’t be tempted.

If you are one of The Hands, GO TO HELL ALREADY!















Good luck


The author's comments:
If you think I should post the story that goes with it, comment.