The Last Conversation On Earth | Teen Ink

The Last Conversation On Earth

By LittleLadybird GOLD, Carrickfergus, Other
LittleLadybird GOLD, Carrickfergus, Other

To be nobody but yourself in a world that is trying it's hardest every night and day to change you into everyone else is to fight the hardest battle a human being can fight, and never stop fighting.

Two aliens are sitting beside each other, holding hands and watching the sky.

“I think the end of the world is near…” gasped Sara.

Daniel sighed sadly and replied, “It is, the Sun is dying and we are but hours away from destruction.”

“Will you stay with me?”

“Yes.”

“What about when it becomes colder, so cold that even the rocks freeze?” Sara asked, glancing around her at the huge boulders on the outskirts of the town.

“Then I will make us a fire and keep you close and warm,” Daniel said, smiling softly despite the situation.

“What about when all around us we hear the screaming of humanity dying in its millions?” Sara knew that they would outlast the humans because of their specially designed space equipment, but not for long.

“Then I will put my hands over your ears and keep them there until there is only silence.”

“What about when the darkness descends and we are each left alone, totally isolated in a cold, black, empty world?” she whispered, looking up at her true love with tears glittering in her eyes.

Daniel grasped her face with his hands and said firmly, “You will never be alone. For as long as I have breath in my lungs I will be by your side, my love.”

They watched as the Sun slowly faded and the shadows grew around them.

“Will they remember us?” she said in a tiny voice.

“I promised a long time ago to only tell you the truth. No, they won’t. Like this planet, our race considers us unimportant and worthless. They don’t understand the value of what the humans call love, or loyalty…I am sorry for everything, my dear.” Daniel looks away, and then begins to build a fire.

“Why are you sorry? You have nothing to be sorry for, I promise you,” she said, confused.

He lights the fire and pulls her closer to it. “If I hadn’t tried to save this beautiful little planet then they wouldn’t have left us here to die. They wouldn’t have left you… to…die,” he said bitterly, his voice choked up with emotion.

“It was worth it!” Sara exclaimed. “Someone had to fight for this, and I am proud that it was us. I wouldn’t change anything. After all, protesting Earth’s destruction was how I met you.” She smiled at him then winced as the screams began, loud at first but getting quieter. Daniel placed his hands carefully over her ears and bent towards them until she could hear what he was saying.

“That is true. I would die one hundred deaths just to spend a moment with you.”

“And I the same, to be with you.”

The Sun dies and the Earth is cloaked in darkness, nothing is visible.

“Sara?”

“Yes, my prince?”

“I love you.”

The coldness overwhelms both aliens and they die, their hands eternally frozen together, their eyes locked upon the other’s face as their hearts simultaneously stop beating.

This short story describes the last moments of two aliens who have been left on Earth to die with it, condemned for fighting for the planet you and I call home.

sleeplessdreamer PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina

"I have always wanted to write in such a way that people say, 'I have always thought that but never found the words for it.'" -anonymous

This was an interesting love story. I enjoyed reading it. I do have some advice. First, I think that there is too much given away in the dialogue. Their comments on the destruction of Earth are very "on the nose". I think you should find more subtle ways to describe the situation these two characters are in. I really enjoyed the beginning, the return of promises between the lovers. To me, it read like poetry. I think that if you could put those lines into poetry, left it open to interpretation, with just a hint that these promises are true, because the situations are real, that this would have had a deeper impact. Just some advice. I think there is a lot of potential here.  If you ever get a chance, stop by and read some of my work and feel free to give me as much advice as you have.