Panda's Today | Teen Ink

Panda's Today

By Sambee GOLD, Frederick, Maryland
Sambee GOLD, Frederick, Maryland

A woman is the only thing I am afraid of that I know will not hurt me. -Abraham Lincoln

It was April, I had gone down to the zoo. They had a new exhibit of pandas. I know what your thinking, every zoo has pandas, what's the big deal? Well, the year is now 4616, global warming had already taken it's toll. We had to leave and adapt to living on Mars. We were the Martins we had once searched for so many, many years ago. The dried up river they had found had dried up many years ago, now ran with sparkling blue water. We call it the Zobali river, Zobali means lifesaver, in the language of the Venus people who had helped us adapt. My father had ran the zoo, then, two years ago he was shut down, but that's a different story. Now where was I? Oh yes, the pandas had come from our deserted earth. I had skipped past our usual exhibits, Marbeats, from Mars, Ringrots, from Saturn, Watdars from Neptune, Caluphs from Pluto, and so many, many more. The cages were domes made out of thick glass. Inside would be the resources and oxygen levels needed for the animal inside to live. A crowd had gathered around the new panda exhibit. I was short for my age, being only ten at the time. I couldn't see a thing, I didn't mind though, I mean it had been over a hundred years since anyone had seen a animal from earth. My new designer floater shoes allowed me to hover over the crowd's heads. There was a few people hovering ahead, as well as I. I stared inside at the black n' white bears of earth. There were only two, one was sleeping and the other was sitting and eating bamboo. The one eating stopped and yawned, I got a perfect view of it's two rows of sharp, pointy teeth. I cringed back, the panda closed it's mouth, finishing it's yawn. It turned it's head and stared at me. I looked behind me, yes, it was definitely looking at me. I saw him growl and bare his teeth at me. My heart raced in fear, I hovered back a foot, but I was unable to look away. It watched my every move, I floated down, the panda still stared. I hit the ground and the panda let out a loud roar, that shook the windows. It charged toward me, I let out a yelp and turned, I ran and could hear the bang of the window as the panda hit it. I never looked back. We got pandas today, and where will I be? Well I am staying far,far away.

this piece is a bit old but even now I can remember how much I had loved it when I wrote it