We the Imagined

Ask us, friend. Just who are we to whisper in your ears and cast ideas like lifelines into your head? Who are we to clamp our teeth onto the tip of your pencil and force its gleaming graphite to stir on the page? Well, we are your characters. We were born from your thoughts and raised like your children as we froliced and danced on your paper. Your words are our embodiment, breathing life into our chests and instructing us on our every step.

You listen, entranced, to our soothing voices as they caress your ears. You are so easily manipulated by our words that they flow through your rose pink lips into your world and scatter on your paper. But still each sound from our clever mouths does not escape your scrutiny.

You slap labels on our chests that we cannot remove. We are heroes, or we are villains, in your untrained eyes. We are knights in shining armor or tyrants wrapped like snakes in a cloak as black as the death that hangs over us in the end. You strip us of our complications and replace them with the simplicity of good and evil.
See us, friend. See us for who we are: warriors, rulers, hidden rebels, even gods, and do not let our leading characterisitcs govern us. Ambition is not necessarily a fault, and a humble servant may prove more difficult to defeat than the greatest of sorcerers, if you look closely at us. We are unique, but if you want us to cooperate as we trek our journeys and fight our battles on your paper, you must understand us for the intricate thoughts that we have become.
It was your imagination that created us from dust and ink. What will you do with us now?

holly1999This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:58 am:
Wow! I really liked the perspective of this story and the message it sends to writers. The description you used was amazing; I loved the first paragraph. The idea was so creative and unique, and I agree with you that characters shouldn't be defined by their lables. I loved this, short and sweet but very meaningful. One of the best articles on Teen Ink, in my opinion. 5 stars!

LaChouette This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, this piece really makes you think. I'll have to remind myself of this piece the next time I write something. It's a great idea. Awesome Job!

TanazMasabaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 5, 2013 at 2:07 am:
The subject of this article is not only incredibly unique but its also extremely true and meaningful. I am afrain I won't be able to say anything that others haven't already said, except for wow and omg this is a VERY beautifully and elegant piece of writing. The flow of the words and even the emotion displayed by "characters" as they talk about themselves were both subtle and yet made an impact on the reader's mind. Kudos for being original and five stars for the amazing w... (more »)

AthenaMarisaDeterminedbyFateThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 5, 2013 at 9:19 am :
Thanks so much!

Amaranthinium This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:36 pm:
This is really good! Short and simple, but still meaningful. I like the subject too, because even in, like, pubished novels, you see this really shallow demarcation of "good" and "evil," so it's nice to see someone who knows better. The only real critique I have is that I think "froliced" should be spelled "frolicked." Awesome job!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:56 am:
THis is one of my favorites of your works!  I love the...beauty of the way the words flow.  The idea was super creative too! 5 stars!! :D

Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:31 pm :
Thank you! I am currently trying to add flaws to every one of my novel character.

E.J.Mathews This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:28 am:
I really loved the perspective in this story, and the message that it sent to writers as a whole. It also had intense imagery that was fantastic. It reminded me a little of a story that I wrote were the protagonist slowly becomes evil, but isn't entirely defined by his labels.

lucybrown said...
Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:37 pm:
Wow, I really like this.  I love the imagery and word choice and the beginning immediately drew me in.  I can really relate to this as well.  Great work!

hollyax1999This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:05 pm:
Love it! Great word choice and really well written. Amazing!

Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:26 am :
Thank you!

TheRealMVDarko said...
Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:18 am:
Loved this piece! It sounded like a song in my head. Job well-done!