Leaf Tornadoes

When I was little I always was fascinated by those leaf tornadoes. They spun the loose dirt and leaves in the air and across the ground for a few brief seconds before they dissolved into dust. I loved to watch them as they swirled, seeming to dance.

I used to think they were portals, gifts of escape, a route to bring me to a happier and more exciting place. Worlds of dragons and fairies or ones with magic and where dreams come true were lying in wait for me just through that doorway. I used to chase those tornadoes, but the instant I stepped within its boundaries it evanesced into thousands of shattered pieces. It became an endless puzzle that I was hopeless at completing.

As I’ve grown, I’ve chased fewer and fewer of those mystical leaf tornadoes. Though every time I see one I pause and hold my breath as it sweeps by. Now that I’m older I’m letting go of my childhood wonders and beliefs and they slip farther and farther away from the blissful past. College overcomes my doll house, jobs surpass running barefoot on dew covered grass, ACTs and SATs defeat hide-n-seek and new friends shove my old imaginary ones aside.

I’ve nearly pushed aside my old philosophy of my magical leaf tornadoes, but as I walk through my yard with my younger cousin my juvenile thoughts return as I remember the world through the eyes of a six year old.

“Look!” She points excitedly ahead of us.

My eyes dart the way she directs and my heart stops. Coming right at us is the tornado. My breath quickens as it hits its peak, it’s a large one, there’s no possible way it will miss us. I grab her hand and she squeezes mine as the wind starts to kick up around us. Together we step forward just as it swallows us whole, finally embracing me and all of my possibilities unfold.

thewriter247This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
When I was nine I was in the middle of a leaf tornado, the only one I've ever seen, and when it died down I felt like something special had happened. I went back inside and wrote a story about a girl who was transported to a magical world by a leaf tornado. Your piece really brings back memories!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 17, 2013 at 12:33 pm :
Really? That is so cool! I'm glad you can relate.  Maybe one day one will sweep us away to another world. :)

dragonsandthree said...
May 23, 2013 at 11:07 am:
THis is great! I really like it.

Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:53 am :
Thanks! That means a lot!

E.J.Mathews This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 22, 2013 at 8:07 am:
This was really well written, and the feelings were definitely relatable. Great job!

Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:54 am :
Thanks so much!

Allicat001 said...
Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:05 pm:
This was short, sweet, nostalgic and overall just a cute story!  Great job and keep writing!

Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:53 am :
Thank you!

ZozeyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:01 pm:
Aww, I love how when she/he sees another tornado, there isn't any hesitation, just goes right for it! My only thing is, why, if she/he is an adult with a job, does she/he have a cosin who is six? Seems like a rather large age difference their.

Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:18 pm :
I was thinking that she/he was an older teenager or a very young adult.

ZozeyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:09 am :
Okay, mabey you should make that a little more clear. But other than that I liked it! good job :)

Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:11 am :
Oh okay mabey you should make that a little more clear. But I really liked it, Good job! :)

SakuyaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:20 pm:
This is really, well, cute! I like how it is short and charming. Though I wish you would use some showing(imagery) instead of telling this piece is still amazing and something that I think a lot of teenagers can relate to

Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:53 am :
Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for reading!!

Apollo77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm:
oh wow, so charming! It's short and sweet and just so cute, I have never seen or heard of a leaf tornado but it sounds dangerous, anyway It is so pretty and I love your descriptions!

Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:51 am :
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!!