Code Red

“Code red! Code red! Activate all safety nets and force fields! Caution! Code red! CODE RED!”

Even from my basement, with its steel walls and fire resistant installation, I could hear the recorded voice blaring through the city. I was the only one who had made it home alive. My mum and my dad had always been here, so they were safe. In fact, they wouldn’t let go of me. But all the rest—Joey, Marie, Annie, Colton, Jack-Jack, and Caryn—they were all dead. The lava and the ashes and the smoke had gotten to them before my parents did.

You see, here in the nation of Massossa, we have several hundred volcanoes. Most of the volcanoes that ever existed were moved to Massossa, just in case. They had all lain dormant for millions of years, and during that time they had just become a part of our community, as normal as a mountain anywhere else. It was a normal day in our small village, Middleton, in Massossa. I and my six siblings were headed off to holographic school, a place where all the staff were holograms of amazing teachers that were long dead. About an hour into our lessons with Mr. Albert Einstein, a siren started to wail. The head master of our school came to the classroom and shut the hologram machine off.

“Students,” she said, shifting her two-piece suit. “There is a warning from our very helpful robot scientists. They fear the volcanoes may erupt.” The whole class gasped, including me. But, much to my surprise, the head master started to laugh. “Isn’t that just the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard?” She wiped a tear from her eye. “Ah, but alas, I must follow the orders of The Ones In Charge.”

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 16 at 10:58 am:
Sounds good so far...I would love to read the rest of it. Great job! You're very talented! Please return the favor and look at my work :)