Doubted Reality | Teen Ink

Doubted Reality

August 24, 2012
By moonstruckpoet SILVER, Austin, Texas
moonstruckpoet SILVER, Austin, Texas
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Humankind cannot gain something without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. This is Alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth.”


No matter how quickly she paced her selves, she always lead the way, strolling beyond her speed. There really wasn't any doubt about it. In all honesty, where did the truth go? It probably nestled itself among the soft grasses that brushed against her ankles as she wearily hiked up the mildly steep hill once again. "W-Where are we going?" she gasped, panting slightly. She grinned without slowing down. "We're going somewhere." She rolled her eyes, even though she knew she wasn't watching. Sometimes her vague speech frustrated her. "Explain yourself!" she demanded. "No need to," she whispered, before placing a finger over her lips. She hesitated, puzzled, waiting for that crucial moment to pounce. She shrugged. "Well, my reality is doubted. It will always be doubted. The World spins on its head. The Oceans are splattered by the rain of tears and rose petals that forever spill from the eyes of Cloud. My World just isn't. Yet that is doubted as well. The narcissistic Sky weeps in sorrow for the blocked mirrors of Lake, while the Sun bleeds crimson and gold across the Horizon before Dusk arrives with its veils of Stars. My fingers are stained by the feathery wings of dying butterflies. My soul burns from the lemon juice that's squeezed from multiple attempts at Life. Which part of myself is real? Which one is a fake? I shall never know." She watched the Sun above her. Soon her eyes burned to crisps, yet she could still see beyond the stars and planets that revolved around the Earth.

Yes, this indeed was a doubted reality.


The author's comments:
A piece about a girl who believes two souls reside in her body.