Field of Stones

The night air was bitter and cold; the town clock struck midnight filling the streets with its eerie chime. It was a moonless night and a thick fog blanketed the town making it nearly impossible to see. I sniffed at the side of the cobblestone roads in the guise of a large black wolf; my fire colored eyes surveyed everything around me. I startled all who caught even the slightest glimpse of me and by the time they did a double take on what they had just seen, I was already gone. I padded over to Jquel Square shaking the water from my soaked pelt.
The streets of Blackwood had remained almost completely unchanged over the years. Most of the popular shops were still located in Eastwood or Jquel Square as some would call it. The once beautiful Victorian homes owned by some of the wealthiest people in all of Blackwood were here, but now they seemed old and tattered.
As I looked off to the distance, my mind began to fill with vivid images of my former self, walking along the crowded streets taking in the sights and smells of this magical place. The sound of horse hooves on the cobbles. Ravens filled the trees; those were the sights and sounds of days far past. Things were different in Blackwood and I was going find why and who was responsible for it. Yet, a strange and uneasy feeling gripped me, beginning at the thought and my stomach turned with nervous energy. I stuck my noise in the air. I kept on walking but slower this time; I listened for anything that may have been behind me.
There had always been night dwellers in Blackwood who roamed the streets once the sun went down, they lived in the shadows and went unseen by the naked eye, but they would not be able to escape my keen sense of smell. So far I only detected the smell of people followed by the smell of stale magic in the air.

I bolted right and left, across yards, through alleys and over fences until the Victorian homes vanished and were replaced by large redwood trees. I had very little trouble maneuvering around the many trees; in fact I was much more comfortable here than anywhere in town. Unlike the city the forest remained unchanged for thousands of years. To humans the forest was to be avoided at all costs. To us it was our haven where we could live peacefully without the humans, a place where all humans were avoided at all times possible.

I reduced my speed to a trot as I came upon an old trail overrun with thick bramble bushes that led up a hill. I saw some were packed down as if someone had already been here. I smelled incense and lavender and I knew instantly who it was which meant I was on the right trail. I pushed through the undergrowth until I came to a tall old rusted fence. The deadbolt on the gate had been broken. I padded through the gape in the entrance. Once I was past I saw what lie ahead.

It was a field of stones, concealed by the forest and forgotten in time. It was where the Humans put their loved ones to rest. I crisscrossed my way through the region of old graves. Some were so old the names had vanished with vines that wrapped securely around the graves.

I made my way gradually toward my destination, making certain not to touch anything. I followed the trail of lavender and incense up a cobble pathway to an old willow tree. Beneath the tree was a park bench bordered by white rose bushes. It gave the impression of serenity in such a cheerless and forgotten place.

Something shifted in the shadows. A man materialized out of the darkness. He was dressed in all black with a long coat. His hair came midway down his neck before it started to feather back. He was thin. His features were perfectly chiseled, with sharp cheekbones and warm colored brown eyes, yet they were dark and cold. I hesitated before speaking to him.
He was the one I was searching for. He just looked so unfamiliar. It brought to mind the youthful, content man with dirty blonde hair and warm coffee brown eyes. This man had a mysterious aura about him. He was paler than I had recollected and looked drained.
“There's no need to hide, it's just you and I,” the man said. I stepped out from underneath the shrub. “Monterrey?” I inquired. Monterrey nodded his head. “The conjurer told me you had altered your look a bit; I was just making sure.” I thought about it. I had that same feeling I had gotten while in the city, an uneasy feeling. “I felt like I was being watched for a split second so I took a detour or two on my way here, but when is that ever strange in this town.” I said.
Monterrey looked at his pocket watch frowning slightly then glanced away toward the wood line. “Yes, I’m familiar with the feeling.” Monterrey looked back down at me and smiled. “I don't believe it's healthy for me to be absent from my laynak so long Aurora.” He extended his arm out to me; I altered from wolf to raven in mid leap and landed softly on his wrist. The minute we touched, it was like a charge was running throughout the both of us. We were both a source of power for each other. One could not live without the other for long. This had been the longest we had been away from each other and it had taken an obvious toll on Monterrey more than it had me

We laynaks are very complicated creatures. We were a very rare type, we are the spirits of our masters. But we live along side our human masters in whatever form we choose. laynaks only had two forms, normally a bird and then another animal. I was the exception, I had many.
Most laynaks and their masters live solitary lives. Not knowing what they are at first. Some go there entire life without seeing another laynak and it’s almost better that way. Monterrey and I had an meet entire clan of laynaks. To make a long story short it didn’t go so well. Turns out there were too much structure and order with laynak clan. What I’m trying to say is finding other laynaks always ends in disaster.

There was a long pause before either of us spoke. “Where are we headed now?” I asked, rubbing my eye with my feathered wing. “Nowhere. This is were we reside from this point on.” Monterrey replied.

“Stay here? You can’t be serious.” I groaned. “Did you take any notice of what I just said?”

Monterrey leaned heavy on his cane. “I'm far too exhausted to travel anywhere further than Fog Town. I'll settle here and build up my strength, perhaps visit a few old friends...”
I rolled my eyes. It was this same foolishness that had us separated so long in the first place. “Come,” Monterrey said as he turned on his heel and started back toward town, disappearing in the thick fog. I hung back for a moment then resignedly followed him.

EvangelinaGreyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It's a really good idea! Very detailed, and I'm hoping to see more. P.S. Thanks for commenting on my article!

lizerina776This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nice job! This was a really interesting idea, and the description was good. There are some commas missing, but the rest of the grammar was fine. I have a hard time picturing a raven talking like a human, but it is fantasy :) Would you mind giving me some feedback on my story called Homeless? Thanks!

ShadowAngel2468 said...
Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:39 pm:

very tantelizing and engaging, i really enjoyed your writing stlye and genuinely hope you write more, Amazing!

P.S can you read parts one and tow of the novel im starting, Im Not Who You Think, thanks!

Proud_To_Be_An_AmericanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:18 pm:
This a cool story, are you going to post more?  It's well writtena and really sucks you in!! :D  Keep writin'!

Varlen-Byrd replied...
Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:11 pm :
i have more writtebut i'm still working on it.