Boogie

Boogie was the monster who lived in the attic of my Grandpa Frank’s house. The house was old and had many old passageways built into the walls, like those eerie tunnels Scooby Doo and Shaggy where always running into, with holes your eyes could peek through hidden in a portrait. At least that’s what my Grandpa Frank used to tell me when I was young, because I was never allowed upstairs only the in basement and the second floor. Once I asked my uncle, Lil’ Frank “What’s up there?” one day as we walked to the corner store to buy chips an ice cream one hot summer day. Lil’ Frank was only about a few months older than me. I did not have to call him by his title, which normally was mandatory for my strict southern family.

“There’s things up there a man should only see once in his whole life,” He replied dramatically I frowned and thought about that for a minute and watched the ice cream melt down my hands.

“Well I never been up there once,” I replied.

“Well you ain’t a man.” Lil’ Frank retorted.

"So, you aren’t a man either.”

We argued about whether or not Lil’ Frank was actually a man until we walked into the door. Lil’ Frank went to watch TV and I left in search of Grandpa Frank. When I found him I asked him, “Grandpa Frank how come I can’t go upstairs?” my Grandpa looked up from his tools and wiped the beads of sweat from off of his forehead. “Because that’s where Boogie lives.” My Grandpa replied as if he were just talking about his next door neighbor.

“Who is Boogie?”

Grandpa Frank told me about Boogie and how he lived in the walls of the house where it was always dark because his skin was sensitive to light. He lived upstairs during the day because it was dark all day upstairs and it was the only place Boogie could stay without fear of being burned by the sun. He told me Boogie also liked to eat people, but never bothered him because he had beat Boogie up for sneaking up on him in the basement. So now Boogie stayed up in the attic and upstairs or hid in the walls because he was afraid of Grandpa. But Boogie would eat any little kid who went upstairs in the dark. I went back upstairs from the basement to the second floor where Lil’ Frank was still eating chips and watching TV and laughing. I stood at base of the steps that lead up stairs and looked up into the dark, trying to get a glimpse of this so called Boogie.

I stood in the patch of sunlight near the window purposely, so if Boogie tried to snatch me up the light would burn him. I would turn my back and stand with my back to the stairway, rocking on my heels as I hummed to myself. Then spin around quick as I could to see if Boogie was there creeping up on me. But there was nothing there, just that feeling of being watched, that began to spook me so I returned to the living room, a big open space with a flat faded carpet that felt cold and hard on my thin dingy socks.

I wasn’t scared then, not with Lil’ Frank and Grandpa Frank, only a ten second run away, if I needed him. But as the sun began to set and the light retreated to catch up with the sun as it sank behind the tree’s, and the shadows began to creep out of there hiding places and fill up those bright empty spots the light had left behind. I began to feel scared. I knew Boogie was scared of Grandpa so I followed him around the house like a second shadow until he became annoyed with me and sent me and Lil’ Frank to the back to pick lemons off the tree for some lemonade. It was still bright outside so I figured I was safe, as I sat with my shirt stuffed to the top with lemons I called up to Lil’ Frank, who was had climbed up the tree in hot pursuit of the bigger juicier lemons.

“Lil Frank what you know ‘bout that Boogie?”

“WHO?”

“Boogie! The one who live up stairs, who else.”

“I don’ know, I just know he live up in ‘em wall’s and make noise at night when he walks around the house.’

“Na Uh, Grandpa say he don’t come down stairs no more ‘cause he beat him up.”

“Yeah…but at night Boogie do what he wanna do. He tried to get me one time but he too slow. Tell you the truth, he kinda fat. With big blue eyes that stick out the side of his head like eggs, big buck teeth all chipped and yellow with horns like the devil himself.”

“No such a lie!”

“Ye-es! It’s the truth. Seen him with my own two eyes.” Lil’ Frank said tossing down to huge lemon. “I got up to use the bathroom and he tried to snatch me up, I ducked through the pantry and ran into my dad’s room before he even had a chance.” I walked over to the rickety stairs of the back parch where, Marc, the roommate sat enjoying a beer while he flipped through the paper. “Is he telling the truth?” I asked him.

“Yeah sure,” Marc said dismissively, turning the page of the paper, I frowned and tossed the lemons down into the little pile I was making, then waded back into the waist high grass to search for more lemons. The sun was almost gone and the mosquitoes where coming out. I swatted at them, “So you not afraid of him no more.”

“Afriada who?”

Boogie!”

Lil’ Frank peered down from his branch to look me dead in the eye, “Heck no!”

Lil’ frank climbed down from his perch on the tree and hopped down landing hard on his feet, disappearing in the tall grass before hopping back up. We rolled the lemons until they were soft then left them for Grandpa Frank to squeeze and played succor with a ball Lil’ Frank and I stole from some kid who lived near buy. We had no point system, it wasn’t really soccer I just blocked the goal, the side of the shed, while Lil’ Frank kicked the ball. He ran at me and kicked as hard as he could. I dove and attempted to block it with my hand, the ball flew just out of the way of my fingers and bounced off the corner of the shed and hit the pile of lemons had I neatly stacked and they rolled down the hill into the grass.

“Oh great,” Lil’ Frank sighed.

“It’s your fault. You kick to hard!”

“You move to slow!”

We tossed insults back and forth as we gathered the bright yellow lemons from tall grass. Soon it turned into a game of “who ever got the most lemons wins,” and so it was on. Armed with a flash light and my eyes and nose I began my search. I found a big bright lemon the size of a soft ball. It had to be at least worth three or four lemons. As I reached for it my foot kicked it and in rolled down the hill. I ran after it, but just as I dove to catch it, it slide between two loose boards on the shed. “Oh great!” I looked over my shoulder Lil’ Frank was distracted with his own search.

I had to get that lemon; I needed the bragging rights of actually beating Lil’ Frank in something. But there where spiders in the shed, and who knows what else. They already had a monster in the attic, what in the world could live in the shed. I took a deep breath, if Lil’ Frank had seen me, to so scared to go into the dark because of some stupid spider he’d never let me live it down. I reached through the boards and felt around with my hand but no lemon. So, I put the flashlight between my teeth and crawled through the tiny little space in the boards. I squealed as cobwebs brushed my face and remembered what my Grandmother told me, “Spiders don’t live in cobwebs,” I shined my flashlight around, the shed was full of old junk. Old boards, a TV, some old furniture wrapped in sheets, a ton of old paint tins, and what do you know, not a lemon in sight.

I brushed away the cobwebs, and started to look under the furniture, as I pulled up the last sheet I heard a low growl, bright green eyes shined back on me. I shined my flash light in the direction of the noise. A red furred cat stared back at me, its ears flat and it’s tail bright and bushy. “Sugar Foot?” I said, Sugar Foot was my cat or rather Grandpa Frank’s. The cat hissed, and spat. “Sug, it’s me Rae Rae,”

I heard the shuffle of heavy feet on the ground behind me and sat up, something was breathing like hot steam on the back of my neck, it smelled sour and rank. Afraid of what I might see, I shut my eyes tight and I turned my head slowly to face the sound. Then opened them quickly, I was staring at a round red surface, like one of the kick balls I used to play with, but up-close. I gradually shined my flashlight up to the face of the monster to find I was staring into big blue eyes the size my Grandmother’s favorite dinner plates. His body was redder then a chili pepper and constructed of two hung circles, the first his head then his big round belly. My mind told me to run but, my legs were glued to the cool dirt floor. The monster just stared, He stretched his arm, which was long and skinny, compared to the rest of him. His closed fist just inches from my face, he opened his long clawed fingers and in his palm was the lemon. It looked more like a lemon drop and his hand which was bigger then a baseball mitt. Boogie smiled showing his bulky teeth, all chipped and yellow.

I let out a scream so loud I scared myself, Boogie jumped back knocking over all the paint cans, and let out a sharp earsplitting cry of surprise. I took off, exploding out into the night, knocking down the two loose boards that had served as my entrance and charged up the steep grass hill. Lil’ Frank heard me and looked up from where he stood his pile of lemons stuffed into his shirt. “What tha…?” he said as he looked up and saw me running.

“Boogie!” I shouted as I ran past him, knocking him over and sending lemons flying everywhere. Grandpa Frank heard me and came running out the basement door. “What in the world..?”

“Grandpa!Grandpa!” I wrapped my arms and legs around his leg and squeezed. “It’s Boogie he tried to snatch me up I saw him! He hada head this wide and teeth like this and don’t get me started on the eyes!” Grandpa Frank looked relieved, “Girl you had me scared to death, I thought something happened.” I dropped my jaw and pointed back toward the shed. “Somthin’ did happen! Did you not hear?” I pointed back at the shed. After a moment of confusion, I explained everything from the beginning of the story. Grandpa Frank still had a trace of doubt in his eyes. He led me and Lil’ Frank back to the shed but when we got there, Boogie was gone, just a bunch of crushed paint cans scattered about the place.

“But-but he was here I saw him—” I stammered as I tried to explain.

“Well he ain’t here no mo’, that’s for sure.” Lil’ Frank said, snickering.

Grandpa Frank shook his head at the mess that had been created, that’s when Sugar Foot came walking out of the darkness. Tail held high purring and scratching. “She must have just seen Sugar Foot and got spooked.” Lil’ Frank said.

“Nuh Uh!”

Grandpa Frank was looking wary and older then usual, he agreed with Lil’ Frank and together we walked back to the house. Frustrated, puzzled, scared and dejected I fallowed a few meters behind them. Lil’ Frank teased me all-night, mocking me by pretending to be me as I came running out of the shed. We went up to bed and sat in his tiny room watching TV until we both fell asleep. I was scared because I thought Boogie would come as soon as I closed my eyes and eat me and Lil’ Frank. But soon sleep crept up on me and my eyes shut just as the first light of dawn hit the window to Lil’ Frank’s room. I was awakened by the smell of bacon sizzling on the skillet. I opened my eyes and saw a big yellow lemon setting on the nightstand covered in dirt and what looked like multiple colors of paint. I sat bolt upright as the memory of Boogie came rushing back. I picked the lemon up and turned it this way and that in my hands. That was when I realized the truth, Boogie was not trying to snatch me, he was just trying to give me back my lemon. “All that fussin' for nothin',” I said as I tucked the lemon in my pajama pocket and marched proudly out of the bedroom to the kitchen to show off to Lil’ Frank and prove to Grandpa Frank that I was telling the truth.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

DanielM said...
I really like it. I could imagine you talking to.your grandpa while eating your ice cream. Great voice. And it had a very eerie feel to it. Great job!!!!