The Escape Part 2: Prehistory | Teen Ink

The Escape Part 2: Prehistory

By mwurzer4 DIAMOND, Rochester, New York
mwurzer4 DIAMOND, Rochester, New York

"Thou! thy truest type of grief is the gently falling leaf."
-Edgar Allan Poe

Mesozoic Era, Jurassic?, Day 2
I never, ever imagined that I could come back this far. It’s absolutely amazing—terrifying, for sure, but amazing nonetheless. Back home I used to watch all kinds of documentaries with my mom (I was a bit of a geek) and most of them were about dinosaurs and prehistoric eras, et cetera. I think I’ve landed in the Jurassic period, or at least somewhere in the Mesozoic era, without a doubt.
It’s been about a day since I got here and I’ve made camp in a tree, of all places. But it’s dinosaurs, so you can’t be too careful. I’m not entirely certain what’s edible here and what’s not, so for now I’m stuck with my freeze-dried food. There’s a small stream nearby where I could catch fish, but unfortunately I never thought to bring anything to start a fire with.
After I finished my last entry, I decided to climb a tree, get my bearings, and see if I couldn’t catch sight of a settlement, or a city, or any humans at all. What I found instead was a herd of Diplodocus, a type of sauropod, and I almost fell out of the tree. Needless to say I was shocked.
Unfortunately the detector still shows no signs of a quake anytime soon. I just hope it doesn’t wait too long to show up, or I’ll be dino food.

Mesozoic; Day 3
I’m running low on food, so I’m going to save what’s left and risk the local vegetation. It’s not very appetizing, but I’m certain now that it’s edible. The water from the stream is incredibly clean, as well. But that is as I expected, seeing as how it hasn’t been touched by human pollution. It’s really too bad this world will die. It’s quite spectacular.
The detector’s showing a quake in about two days, but it’s not as near as I had hoped, so I’ll have to get going. I’m fortunate that this thing points me straight to them or I’d really be out of luck as I didn’t bring a compass. Not that there were any compasses on Ace: space stations don’t have magnetic poles. But still, I’d feel better having one.

Mesozoic; Day 4
I should never have left Ace. Doc Jones was right; I can’t survive out here. I think I’m going to die.
The Mesozoic is beautiful and wonderful, certainly, but after two whole days of peace I forgot to take the predators into account. It was an allosaurus, which definitely puts me in the Jurassic period. I heard it long before I saw it, but I’d been in front of a bunch of stegosaurus all day and thought it was just them. I’ve never been so scared in my whole life.
The ground shook like an earthquake and it was a struggle just to stay on my feet. It’s not after me anymore, but that doesn’t matter much. I’m sure when I die some scavenger sill fine me and pick my bones clean. That’ll really make some unfortunate paleontologist 100 million years from now start scratching his head.
My mom always told me, “Erra, don’t run by steep hills. You’ll fall and break your neck.” I haven’t broken my neck, but I did fall, and I must’ve hit some rocks on the way down, because I’m bleeding pretty badly. Honestly, I don’t know what else to do but write, so that’s what I’m doing. Ironically, I’m right where the quake is going to be, but in my condition it will probably kill me. I can’t move. I expect I’ll die soon.

If you're confused read part 1: the escape.