Because I Love You | Teen Ink

Because I Love You

April 8, 2012
By She-who-loves-love SILVER, Tecumseh, Oklahoma
She-who-loves-love SILVER, Tecumseh, Oklahoma
9 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever left, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
-Sherlock Holmes


It was dark. The sky was a black expanse with holes poked in it, letting light shine through. The stars and crescent moon were the only light, but it was enough to see Rose by. With her long dark curls, she was about the exact opposite of me. Rose didn't like me all too much.
"We gotta move on. Let's go." She said.
"Oh, but I wanted to play in this meadow some more, can we wait an hour?" I whined. She groaned her special groan, and I knew I would be lucky to get a minute, much less an hour.
"Man, we're like polar opposites. I'm like a vampire and you're a werewolf." Her tone was joking. I grinned.
"Aw, but I wanted to be the vampire!"
"Well then, you want me to bite you?" She bared her teeth in a "menacing" grimace.
"Naw, just in case you're actually the werewolf." I tackled her to the ground and we wrestled for a minute, coming up breathless and giggling. The look in her eyes softened, no longer the cold hard gaze she usually carries, but something softer, sweeter. As she stands up, she says, "Oh, alright. A few minutes, but no longer. We've been here way too long already." I suspect my smile was brighter then the searchlights that were usually in pursue of us, or more specifically, Rose. She just had to go and make herself the subject of a nation-wide manhunt.
I bent down, caught in my musings, and delicately caressed the slightly fuzzy petals of the yellow flower at my feet. The name of that certain flower escaped me.
"I love these flowers," I murmured. I was desperately trying to remember what it was called.
"It's a poppy, isn't it?" Rose asked, still standing straight. I shook my head; that wasn't quite right. But it didn't matter.
"Hey, come look at this," I heard Rose say softly. I squinted to where her voice was coming from. She was crouched over something only a few feet away, which revealed to be a large slab of cracked concrete. Most likely the remains of some ancient farmhouse, all that's left over. I walk over and kneel in the center, pressing my palm against the cool cement. I heard a rasping noise to my left, and when I looked I witnessed Rose drawing a rune around me with her stick of magic gray chalk. The type of seal search-and-rescue crews draw around a wounded person that immobilizes them so they don't hurt themselves further. I couldn't move.
"Rose," I hissed, "Rose, what are you doing? Do you have any idea how bright these seals glow? They'll draw the heli-police, Rose!" My voice was bordering on hysterical. What was she doing?
"Yes, I know. You'll be safe with the police." She was finishing up the last point of the triangle, almost done with the seal itself. As soon as she is finished the complicated swirls would light up with a bright blue light. And all hope of escape disappearing into thin air.
"But if the search helicopters find you... and if you run they'll shoot first, ask questions later..." My eyes were filling with tears.
"Yeah, I know. But if I leave you here, they'll assume you were my hostage, or something. They won't shoot a seal rune, you know that. They won't know you're my sister, no one does. Remember, I'm only doing this because I love you." She drew a sweeping half-circle, completing the rune. The gray chalk lines lit up, half blinding me, and I screamed a wordless shriek. Tears were streaming down my cheeks now, and I could barely see my sister Rose walking away. I found my words, but I could only use one of them as the sounds of a machine gun ripped through the silence: "ROSE!!!!!"