The Earl of Zerces: chapter 11 | Teen Ink

The Earl of Zerces: chapter 11

By The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

“Right then,” the Earl began by holding up a tiny pin. “Lang, do you know what this is?”

Lang blinked. “A pin,” Lang said slowly, wondering what the Earl was planning.

“Yes, to the untrained eye, this would indeed look like a pin,” The Earl examined the pin. “However, in reality, it is an explosive device capable of delivering over 500 exatons of force. But we’ll get back to that later.”

Lang wondered why the Earl would bring it up if he hadn’t meant to talk about it until later.

“Anyways,” the Earl looked serious. “Recently, I’ve been running into a problem. It seems that in one of the worlds, a certain person has gained enough power to become a threat to me. He’s currently going about, killing all the alternate versions of himself, and amassing more and more power. This is causing problems in Zerces, and thus problems in the various worlds. That’s where you come in.”

“Alright,” Lang was still processing the information. “How did this person gain enough power to threaten you?”

“Oh I gave it to him,” the Earl said it like it was no big deal. “I wanted to see what would happen if I finally gave some one enough power to threaten me. It’s going beautifully, better than I could have ever planned. But enough of that, on to why I need you.”

You see Lang, even though I’m God, I can’t interfere with the basic affairs of the inhabitants of the various Earths. I can give them advice, and even give them all the tools and power that they’d need to solve any problems that appear, but I can’t do it all myself.”

“Why not?” Lang asked.

“’Cause that’d be boriiing,” the Earl pouted like a toddler. “It’s just so dull if I have to solve all the problems of the world. I mean, who would want that? I certainly wouldn’t. The world’s a lot more exciting with wars, famines, disease, and genocides, so I leave the world like it is.”

Lang looked angrily at the Earl. “And what about the people that get caught up in all those wars and famines and disease and genocides? Don’t they get a say?”

“Of course not,” the Earl waved away the subject. “They are irrelevant.”

Lang was about ready to explode with anger. He had had it with the Earl! But then Lang pictured Elena, and at how he would see her again if he just did what the Earl asked, and Lang kept quiet.

“Having second thoughts?” the Earl purred.
Lang clenched his fists, but kept quiet.

“Good,” the Earl clapped his hands gleefully and skipped about. “Now then, Lang, Currently there are twelve worlds out there where my enemy’s meddling has interfered with the rightful path their futures should take. It’s up to you to fix those problems. Once you get done, I’ll send you back to Elena and Lia to live out your life peacefully, but until then, you’ve got to do what I say. Understand?”

“Yes,” Lang said, his anger subsiding.

“Good,” the Earl suddenly looked like a teacher looking at a promising student with pride, and Lang felt a genuine gratitude coming from the Earl. Lang shivered.

“Okay,” the Earl pulled out the pin again. “This brings us back to the pin, and your first task, Lang. What do you suppose we’re going to do with this?”

“I don’t know,” Lang sighed. “Sew some enormous quilt?”

“Not even close,” the Earl smiled devilishly. “We’re going to blow up Mars!”

Fun fun fun!!! Please enjoy.