Do you Believe In Magic? | Teen Ink

Do you Believe In Magic?

By CallmeKrista BRONZE, Newont, Massachusetts
CallmeKrista BRONZE, Newont, Massachusetts

The bell rang, sounding the end of school. I hastily grabbed my books and stuffed them into my backpack and raced out of the door. I was going to be late to my magic lesson with my grandmother, and if I was late she wouldn't teach me anything that day. I loved my magic lessons because it was the one time I could be completely myself. I didn't have to pretend to be a 'normal girl', I could be completely myself. I threw open the doors to the school building and ran as fast as I could down the steps and up the street towards my grandmothers house. I stopped a few yards from the school building and ducked behind some bushes in someone's front lawn. I pulled up my right pant leg and pulled my spare wand out of my sock and glanced around to make sure no one was around. I closed my eyes and waved my wand and thought of my grandmothers house.

"Alex? That you?" I heard my grandmother call out. I opened my eyes and saw that I was crouched in the middle of my grandmothers’ living room.

"Am I on time?" I asked hopefully, dropping my backpack on the couch and walking into the kitchen quickly.

"No." My grandmother replied. She was deeply engrossed in one of her cook books.

"I'm sorry; I tried hard to be on time." I frowned, my spirit broken.

"Try harder next time baby-girl." She replied. I sighed deeply before I turned and walked back into the living room to get my backpack. Once I had collected my stuff I whipped out my wand and twirled it around. Suddenly I was back behind the bush a few yards from school. I stood up and brushed myself off before stepping onto the sidewalk.

"Hey, hey Alex!" I heard someone yell. I turned my head and saw the football quarterback running towards me. He also happens to be my crush since forever.

"Yea Ryan?" I asked.

"Did you just do what I think you just did?" He asked. I frowned in confusion and fear.

"What do you think I did?"

"Appear out of, well out of thin air." He whispered, staring at me wide eyed.

"No! That's crazy!" I shouted, stepping backwards, half fearful that he would actually figure out I was a witch, half angry he had brought this up.

"Then what were you doing in the bush?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. I looked around frantically and frowned, giving up.

"Ryan, what would you say if I asked if you believed in magic?" I asked. Ryan smiled at me and pulled up his right pant leg, showing his wand.

"Ryan!" One of his friends called over to him. He winked at me before he ran off with his friends. I smiled to myself, knowing that now Ryan and I shared a secret. And hoping that maybe my dream of us being together would come true. Magic really does exist.

I wrote this for a contest and wanted to know what you guys on Teenink thought about it.