The Wish | Teen Ink

The Wish

By Smyliee BRONZE, Mountain View, California
Smyliee BRONZE, Mountain View, California

“To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world...”

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I weren’t born. Would life just be normal for everyone? Would anyone want me to be born?
What if I were born before any human was? What if I were born just as all of the oceans, millions of years ago, were drying up? What if it was my duty to save them?
What if I were born two million years from now? What would life be like then? Would I be in space, eating dried-up ramen noodles and heading for Mars?
I like to imagine things. And one day, I was imagining this.

I was just an ordinary teenager. Maybe a well-to-do one. I had lots of the latest gadgets, and I had a good life. But one day, I got (somehow) swallowed up into a time capsule, and traveled back in time.

I scratched my head. How could I just all of the sudden be swallowed up? Oh, I’ve got an idea.

I was just an ordinary teenager. Maybe a well-to-do one. I had lots of the latest gadgets, and I had a good life. But one day, while I was still in bed, I didn’t seem to wake up. It seemed like I was sleeping forever. I thrashed and moaned; I felt like something was sucking me up. When I opened my eyes, I was lying in a barren desert, in the middle of nowhere. All of the sudden, I heard a sound. But it wasn’t just any sound; I heard the sound of an animal, dying. I rushed to it, and realizing it was a sea animal and had to be thrown back in the ocean, I did just that. After a while, I could see it swimming, a far way off.
I looked around, and saw even more animals being dried up. I repeated my process; it seemed like days. I then realised how starving I was. Then, I had to be reminded of the fact that I was, quite frankly, in some foreign place I had no idea even existed. At that moment, I instantly remembered my cell phone in my pajama pocket (I texted 24/7.) I flipped it open, and saw that that date was unavailable. So was the time. I freaked out.
“Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!” I screamed. And screamed. And screamed even more, until my head started hurting and I was forced to lie on the ground to control myself. Before I knew it, I was asleep.
In my dream, I saw a mysterious old man in a white robe, with a crown.
“You have done well,” he said. “I must reward you for saving those animals. What would you like?”
“Um,” I stammered. “I would like…a million dollars?”
“Are you sure?” the man asked. “Now, you can wish for anything. Not only money or wealth, but you can have a magic carpet. A genie in a bottle. A quality of physical feature you wished you had but didn’t. Now, make your choice wisely.”
“I’d like a magic ring,” I said with more confidence. “And every time I rub it, an ifrit would come out and grant my wish.”
“Well, here you go,” the man said handing the ring to me. “And, might I add: good choice.”
And with that, he left me in the darkness, with one small golden ring, and I watched the world, my world, come back into view.

Mmm. I smiled in pleasure. What would I do if I had a ring like that? I thought of an ending, but stopped. Maybe it would be best if I just left it like that. Perhaps the girl wished for money or curly hair. Maybe permission to get a pet dog. But honestly, I did not want to decide for this girl. Me, I’m just glad she got back to her bed.

just a little short story I did.

on Sep. 25 2011 at 6:56 am
HorseLover SILVER, Dallas, Texas

"A boat is safe in the harbor. But this is not the purpose of a boat."~Paulo Coelho, author of The Alchemist

This is a really fantastic story! I love how this is story is really different from anything I've ever read.