Alphabet Soup MAG

By SemicolonSeas SILVER, Los Angeles, California
SemicolonSeas SILVER, Los Angeles, California

Uniqueness is so commonplace a property of living things that there is nothing at all unique about it. — Lewis Thomas

I am swimming in a sea of commas and semicolons, trying to reach punctual shore, but these raging asyndetons and clauses and appositives and polysyndetons keep crashing, crashing, crashing at my power of will, trying to push me below literal surface. What is the meaning behind all of this?

But I don't want to drown in its seemingly bottomless sea. I wish to just stay on the surface, to make my way to Euphoria as soon as possible, where I'll finally be free of the strict rule of Syntax. Just swallow the words, I told myself. No need to digest – just keep going.

There are now predicates on my tail. Looking for their subjects, perhaps? But I have none to spare, for I am trying to survive; I have a goal.

I swim faster to prevent their action-verb teeth from chomping off my toes and feet, but homophones are straining me, pulling me in all directions but up. Who commanded all these actions?

My body is tired. I have gained quite a distance between the predicates and myself. I take one gulp of air and decide to let go for a moment, to immerse myself briefly, just once. Beneath the surface I see monsters – metaphors, similes, symbols, allegories. Terrified by their overwhelming complication, I resurface.

The shores of Euphoria are closer now. I see the waves of words crashing and breaking into letters and sinking into the sand to settle there as forgotten lore, meaningless. I can feel the sea loosening its grip on me, but due to my fatigue, I cannot swim much faster.

After a while, I am finally washed ashore, out of breath.

on Dec. 22 2012 at 6:25 pm
flyingpinkgiraffes PLATINUM, Chardon, Ohio

"When in doubt, kill your main character." ~Me
"Worry is like a rocking chair. It will give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere."

can't say I understand it, but I like it.

on Aug. 25 2012 at 5:35 pm
ariel_the_mermaid BRONZE, Twinsburg, Ohio

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on -Robert Frost

great personification!

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!