Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

dragon7781 said...
Dec. 8 at 4:22 pm
Interesting. Reminds me of an episode on Unsealed: Alien Files show, where humanity is actually being controlled by an Alien computer. It also reminds me of the Matrix, only with aliens instead of machines. Overall, an interesting idea.

ashlynnnicole said...
Dec. 1 at 5:33 pm
This is interesting but cliche. Everyone talks about us being characters in books or dolls or a show for God- this isn't specifically original, just a twist on a widely exercised topic of thought that they decided to submit. By the way, check out my story please! Go on my account... the title is "I Am You". It is Science Fiction.

jimi211 said...
Oct. 13 at 10:52 am
CarrieAnn13, you had a good concept going, but I think Molly,Jane was right, it is a little cheesy. To further add to it, though you did a good job at making the end morbid, by the climax I felt there still wasn't really any substance.

Molly,JaneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 26 at 11:57 am
I actually think it's a little cheesy and there isn't really anything that is creative about it. Aliens is all well and good but people are interested in new and different ideas, they want to know what these aliens look like, or maybe a personal story about one of these aliens with it's struggles and how it handles it's human or how they make a special or different bond that is out of the ordinary. I like how you ended the short story with our having free will, but maybe you co... (more »)

Critic said...
Apr. 23 at 1:56 pm
It's funny how easy it is to believe in the existence of ancient aliens who use the same technology (computer software programs) that we do and yet the presence of a god (or God) seems downright implausible. The key question that should be asked with this story is: "Which is worse, having free will or being manipulated like so many marionettes on a master string?" From the tone of your work and comments I feel like you would prefer a relaxed enslavement over laborous freedom.

Como5 said...
Apr. 21 at 12:38 pm
I like the idea. It's very interesting and it makes you think.

AriBowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 25 at 9:57 am
This was a good idea lol enjoyed it

L.N.1996 said...
Mar. 23 at 4:32 pm
This is so great! When I was little I use to think that we were dolls in some persons doll house and they controlled us. Great Story! 

andilightning said...
Feb. 10 at 11:46 am
Love it. Could have had more about the aliens, but I love the concept. Could you make a book out of this?

FunneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 30 at 6:39 pm
Does this take place in the present, or the future.

ilovekellie said...
Jan. 13 at 8:58 am
I thought the very similar idea these days so i just feel excited to read! The dialogue of aliens are very cute and funny. The last part "And so," to the end is more and more thoughtful part i think. You are so tallented!!

Caesar123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 5 at 8:37 pm
Quite an interesting idea, though not entirely new when you consider that the ancient Greeks and other civilizations would blame far off gods and spirits for their problems, as well as their successes. Still, a very interesting piece. Keep up the good work!

MistyVentureThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
The end is really funny to me, because thats about the truth to the story. Not just leaders but the whole world. Interesting idea, I bet you could probably make a good story out of it and draw it further. Maybe a sci fi book or something?

Red546This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Genius! Now I know who to blame. :) I will certainly be telling people about this one.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:26 am
Thanks!  I appreciate it. :)

JulieBakur said...
This is a really cool idea. Kind of makes you think. Thanks for sharing! 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:26 am
And thanks for commenting! :)

missm1126 said...
Great piece. I wish in reality it was that easy; that we could just blame aliens for our society's downfall. I wrote a piece similar to this not too long ago I really liked your voice, it seemed to follow a natural speech pattern instead of  the forced, overworked and choppy style that I've seen far too much of. Very thoughful, if I were to change anything (and really this is just a matter of personal preference) I would alter the introduction to statements instead of questions. Nic... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
May 9, 2013 at 1:31 am
Thanks for such a thoughtful comment! :)  Yes, if only we could just blame the aliens.  Life would be much simpler then.

Izanami said...
Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:53 am
This wasa really good article. I liked how you formed this off of the concept that we don't have free will, only an illusion that becomes reality later on. But I felt that your dialogue was somewhat abrupt, but otherwise perfect. I liked how you made the aliens seem all the more human by making their dialogue seem like a normal conversation. And could you please read my article? It's my first ever on Teen Ink, and I'd like to have someone with more experience than me look over it.