Gadgets | Teen Ink

Gadgets

By Allis-in-Wonderland PLATINUM, Cartersville, Georgia
Allis-in-Wonderland PLATINUM, Cartersville, Georgia

"Sometimes people leave you...halfway through The Wood. Do not let it grieve you...No one leaves for good. You are not alone, for no one is alone." -Into The Woods

Even though I was warm enough I still was putting my hands in the pocket of my jacket. My frozen breath made little puffs of smoke in the air as I walked, nearly sprinted is more like it, through the thick snow. Crunch, crunch, crunch. The familiar sound of my hometown of Treble, the snow that fell almost constantly, even in early spring. The voice pops back into my head again. Crap.

“You know, you didn’t have to do that.”

“I had to. What other choice do I have?”

“Turn back. There’s nothing for you out there. Do you really want to be a mutt? Trust me. Go home Saria.”

“No! I did what I did for a good reason!” My voice was rising in intensity, my fists clenched at my sides, now out of the warm pockets they were in moments ago. Why does the Voice have to pop in when I don’t want it too?!

“They’ll kill you out there. And then they’ll find out who you are. Is that what you want? They’ll think you’re a freak. They’ll ban you from diners, and the government will steal you away. Don’t go! You’re one of the first G-bots ever created! Stay Jenny, just stay.”
That was the final conversation before I turned in to a Gadget. After the last word it drifted away, a faint echo behind. Man, I hate the Voice, the weird little person inside my head that tells me to go back to a life of horrible, horrible things. And sadly I didn’t have any other people like me, except for my friend Joham and two other Gadgets who worked at another base.
I sighed, remembering the day when the Order shot my family to death except for me, saying that I had the looks of a Gadget. I had a mother, a father, and two younger siblings. I don’t remember them that much though. I was the younger sibling, well one of them, so I stayed out of his way. Now, what is a Gadget? A Gadget, sometimes I call them G-bots, is a person who has a special talent and can do things other people can’t to keep people in town under control. When the news of spies and war got out, everyone freaked and tried to escape Treble, to go to a war free zone for their families. The G-bots must use force if this happens. But, there are only three other Gadgets, except for me. I do have a friend, but he usually just works in the cell block. I don’t know the other two very well anyway, for they live on the other side of Treble. Most of the time they’re just used for back up.
I did have the talents, and the looks as well. My skin is a terrible pale that reminds me of moon dust, with very dark eyes and hair that extends past my shoulders in a glossy curtain of raven black. My agility is superb, my hearing impeccable, but all of that happened because of the operations and the surgery to enhance my body to fight to the death if necessary. My skin is leather tough and is able to fight against temperatures above 110 degrees, or below 50. I can see from long distances, about three football fields to be exact, and I can sprint at about twenty five miles an hour. I didn’t want all of this. I wanted to live like a normal kid and grow up and live in a house by Full Moon Lake with a husband and two children. I’ve always wanted twins.
But that can’t happen now. I can still have a boyfriend but I can’t have children due to the surgeries. That was one of the sad things about being forced under the knife and having your organs and muscles reconstructed to fit Gadget’s standards. My walkie-talkie/cellphone gave a ring that meant trouble was coming my way. And I could see the intruder before she even got close. I sprinted after her. She was carrying a satchel that was stitched shut, and her hair was in a short cropped style on her neck. She was huffing and puffing, trying to get away. But I’m way too fast for her. Before long I tackle her to the ground and tied her hands behind her back in electro static handcuffs that work like tasers. One wrong move and she’s going to be toasted. I brought out a small vial and put some of her blood inside. That would come in good use later.
“You are under law of the Orders to remain still and silent. You will only talk if I ask you a question. Understood? Your cuffs are recording our conversation as we speak. Now, name?”

“Lucy Quenien Stall.” Her nose that was bleeding from the tackle had colored the snow slightly red. A bit stained her white windbreaker. Her cropped hair had a bit of down-ness to it, like it were made of feathers. Her ebony hair was highlighted with a bit of brown, but not much. Only a person like me would be able to notice.
“Occupation and date of birth?” I hated having to do the same drill over and over, but it was customary. We had to memorize things like this, and watch for uneasy body movement. Any sign of escape could mean that I would have to kill her. Something I’ve never done before.
“Student. I go to Rekonship Academy over on the south-west side. My birthday is November 22, 2092” Her eyes were glued to my gun, still on safety lock. The girl’s eyes flooded with fear. I was surprised at her answer. My birthday was on the same day. Pure coincidence, I decided. I just had to brush it off. What are the odds?
“So Ms. Stall, may I see your satchel?” I held out my hand and reached toward the ground for the bag. It felt slightly heavy. I broke the sewing around the flap and opened the top. I saw school papers, and an Interpass wrist cuff. I knew what these things were. They could show holograms and you could video chat as well as find anyone’s near specific location with one of these. Expensive, but useful. I was stunned that she got a hold of one of these things. If she broke into a store, she’s got some guts or some brains. Security systems are hard to fool. I rarely ever used my cuff. My cellphone was equipped to do the same thing, but better.
“I won’t ever do it again. I swear! I need to sell that cuff for my family. My brother, he’s hurt and-”
Before she knew it, her handcuffs had shocked her with about thirty volts of electricity. She convulsed, and lay still in the snow. She wasn’t dead, but she could’ve been close. I lugged her body over my shoulder and sprinted towards town, radioing to Headquarters to get a cell ready for the arrival of Lucy Quenien Stall, a possible plot in the Gadget’s plan to take over the world.

I was inspired to write this because I had been reading books on crime fighting, futuristic fighters, and the anime series Naruto!

I'm actually writing the book! I have allot more chapters than just this! :P

RozaB SILVER said...
RozaB SILVER, Milpitas, California
Wow. You should really turn this into a book--definetly has the potential!