The Hunter

Zombies.

Disgusting creatures that never failed to make a mess of things, especially your clothes, Kieran snarled her nose at the thought. Looking down at herself her snarl became a full glower at the sticky greenish-brown muck sticking to every inch of her body.

“Kieran, you need to take care of a small problem,” She mimicked her boss in a terrible gruff tone. “Yeah, forgot to mention that it was a zombie problem and that there were five of them!” Her outraged tone echoed in the silent night.

Her fury grew with each step until she was shaking with it, but every time she moved something made an embarrassing squishing sound so it wasn’t nearly as frightening as it should have been.

“You know you look ridiculous, right?” Kieran whirled around already pulling the pistol out of its holster and pointing it at the head of the male who voiced this terrible fact.

She slightly lowered it when she saw one of the other hunters who helped her to maintain the paranormal population. “You know I may go ahead and shoot you for saying that. I could even get away with it by saying that you startled me and I shot before I realized who it was.” Kieran grumbled.

“Oh come now, that wouldn’t be nice at all.” Wren smiled.

“I hate you.” Kieran said venomously, as she turned and started walking the way she had been headed earlier.

He just laughed and fell into step beside her, shooting her amused glances every few moments.

“I swear that if you smirk one more time, I will shoot you in the foot.” She glared and pushed him away from her.

He chuckled once again “Why in the foot?”

“I could shoot you somewhere else, if it would make you feel better.” She offered helpfully.

“No, foots good.” He agreed with an annoyingly sweet smile.

“This is all the hunters have to offer, an immature boy and a filthy girl? What a waste of my time.” A voice echoed from the buildings around them, but it was impossible to tell exactly where it came from.

Kieran and Wren stopped and started scanning the shadows around them, they were trained for this and they wouldn’t panic. At least Kieran hoped she didn’t, she could fight anything as long as she could see it, but when they got tricky and hid, that’s when problems emerged.

The voice got closer and finally a figure emerged from a back alley to the right of the two hunters. It started at a slow walk then within seconds turned into a full on sprint. He or she struck Wren and they both went tumbling to the ground, in a heap of limbs and flying punches.

“Little help here Kieran.” Wren grunted as he was punched in the face.

“No, you got this.” Kieran smiled and leaned her back against the building she was closest to and watched the brawl from a safe distance.

“This is kinda serious, don’t you think?” He called out to her.

“Shouldn’t have been a jerk.” She smiled and crossed her arms over her chest.

“You know that if I die it’ll be your fault.” He called out to her, when she looked at him she noticed that his nose was bleeding and his lip was already cut.

“No, don’t talk like that. You got this.” She nodded sarcastically giving him the thumbs up sign.

“Just help me!” He exclaimed as he took another well-aimed punch to his left jaw.

Kieran thought for a moment then sighed, no matter how much fun it was to watch him get his butt kicked she really did want to go home and take a shower.

She simply walked over careful not to trip over the tangled group of feet that was in her path and pulled out her taser she kept hidden in the side pocket of her coat. Electricity unlike some other tools she possessed could stop any paranormal for a period of time.

Kieran placed the tip to the attacker’s neck and sent a few jolts of electricity into their body. After giving a few moments of consideration she determined that the attacker was female and now currently convulsing slightly on the sidewalk.

“What is she?” Wren asked as he wiped the blood from his face and got to his feet.

“She’s got to be a banshee.” Kieran reasoned as she studied the matted hair and horrid face of the woman lying on the ground.

Screams erupted from everywhere around them and when they each jerked in surprise, more than thirty banshees oozed from the shadows of the alleys around them.

“Yup, definitely banshees.” Kieran mumbled with a worried glance around the area.

“What do we do now?” Wren asked, his eyes were huge and Kieran feared that he was going to freak out on her.

Kieran pulled out her transmitter and hit the panic button that would send a message to the institute where she trained and lived that would alert the others that she was in danger.

“We stay alive until the others can get here.” She answered already pulling out her pistol and dagger.

“Do you think we can do it?” Wren asked worried, but he did as Kieran did and pulled out his weapons.

“Maybe.” Kieran whispered as the first banshee launched herself at them.

alex198 said...
I loved this! The dialogue flowed really well and there was a bit of humour there too. It was really well written. It had the feel of an extract rather than a full story though. Are you writing more or was that unintentional? Anyway, I really liked it! Well done :)

Jess2525 replied...
Thank you! I'm super excited that you posted on my story, by the way I love your writing. :)  I am planning on writing more on this, the reason that it was more of an extract is because one of my friends talked me into posting the little bit that I had written on here.  I am going to write more and I'll have it up soon.  Thanks again for commenting!  I'm glad you liked it! :)