Outcast (Part 9) | Teen Ink

Outcast (Part 9)

March 29, 2011
By Madeline PLATINUM, Lake View Terrace, California
Madeline PLATINUM, Lake View Terrace, California
46 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you always see the positive, you'll never see the negative.


I woke up in my bed. I opened my eyes to see Singing Deer, Dafar and Rider of Winds peering down at me.

“Are you alright, my lady?” Rider of Winds was holding my hand, looking worried.

I nodded. My tongue felt woolen, as if I had had nothing to drink for a very long time. “Ixol?”

Singing Deer looked away. Rider of Winds squeezed my hand.

“He is dead.” Dafar said softly.

I hadn’t known him long, but he was my friend. “How?”

“A dagger, plunged into his back, my lady.”

“I must see him.” I cried, trying to sit up.

Rider of Winds tried to stop me, but I pushed him off. I swung my legs out of the bed. My dinner almost ended up on my boots. Singing Deer rushed to my side. She helped me up, but as soon as I was standing, she let go, knowing that I would not allow her to help me walk down the corridor. I rushed down the corridor to Ixol’s chamber. Several soldiers stood in the room looking at him. With them stood the king, Rider of Winds’ grandfather.

“I am so sorry, my lady. He is dead.” The king said, feigning sympathy.

“I can see that.” I snapped. I had decided to let the king know that he didn’t scare me.

“You hardly seem upset that your friend is dead.”

“Of course I’m upset. Should I throw myself across him and wail?” I knew it was dangerous to say that, but I knew the king couldn’t do much when Rider of Winds was about to become king.

“No, of course not.”

“Do you know who did this?”

“No, my lady.” One of the guards said.

I was felt like wailing. “I wish you would leave me alone for a few minutes.”

The soldiers and the king filed out. Singing Deer and Dafar followed them. Rider of Winds stood with a hand on my shoulder for a few seconds, then left, shutting the door behind him. I really had no time for tears. I had to find answers. I rummaged through Ixol’s pack. I found a leather bound book, three rings holding milky blue Moonstones, and six scrolls. I took all of these items. Maybe they would hold answers. For the first time, I found myself not hating Moondancer. Yes, it was despicable of him to sell me. But I didn’t hate him anymore. He had actually done me a favor. I turned and looked at Ixol’s prostrate body. I wanted to memorize what he looked like, so that whenever I found his killer, and took revenge, I would remember what had happened. The dagger in his back had been plunged deep, all the way to the hilt. The pommel was carved in the likeness of a roaring lion, with two small rubies for eyes. It was oddly beautiful. I touched it with my left hand and felt a strange jolt run through my fingers and arm. I shrieked when I saw small black flames running up my arm. But they didn’t even singe my sleeve. The flames were gone, but my arm was throbbing, pulsing with pain. I could barely hold the book n my left hand. I could barely open the door, because of the pulsing and my hands were full. Singing Deer and Dafar grabbed the things out of my hands and Rider of Winds grabbed my shoulders. I felt as if I was falling, down, down into a black cloud of nothingness.