Steady as She goes | Teen Ink

Steady as She goes

By JuneEmber BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other
JuneEmber BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other

"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"
Margaret Atwood. "The Handmaid's Tale"

Every first day of summer, here is were we ought to meet. I am the only one that can see him, as he emerges gracefully from the deep; shimmering with the remains of dusk that reflect against his perfect skin. We do not talk, we just stare. I know he knows what I am thinking, because I know what is on his mind too. I hear the crash of the waves; I hear my name in his head. I look up and see he has arrived. Today it is not the first of summer, it is the last. I know this means that this will be the last time I will see him, at least for a long while. I desperately throw my arms around him, forgetting the fact that I cannot touch him; to my dismay, he presses his forehead against mine. Tears roll down from his gray eyes; but before I can say anything, he is gone at last.

I remember I always sat on this very same pier and waited for him to come into view. Sometimes I think it was a dream, but the memories are too vivid. I smile. I have not seen him since I was a child. Now, I am no longer an infant and I feel like I am ready to go, this is the moment I have longed for. I walk numbly towards the shore, dip my feet in the golden water and try to kill time. I do not wait much longer, for he has already arrived. He has not changed; his gray eyes are the only pieces of him that have aged. He addresses me with his puzzling stare; I knew it was no dream. Suddenly, fear overcomes me and I step back. To my surprise, he perseveres; he offers me his unflawed hand. I try to read his thoughts, but I cannot remember how to. Still, I choose to take his offer, take this pointless risk. I stride into the tide, carelessly, almost free. The water bashes us in and we both return to the deep, at dusk, ready to become what we once were.

I liked this, brief, magical. Almost mythical, open interpretation :)

LyraLoveLess BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Kentucky

"The mayority of things that we do wrong, are because we feel when we're supposed to think, and we think when we're supposed to feel"

awww i totally loved this :D