The Clone Clause

Prologue:
Running. That’s all I seem to have done in this life. Running from everything and everyone, running to save the lives of those around me, and running to save my own feeble life. My name is Kaelin, and in my version of Earth, everything pretty much sucks.

The year is 2161, and about seventy-five years ago, a scientist discovered the secret of creating life. Thus, the first Human Clone was born. For a while, everything was fine and dandy. Clones were accepted into everyday life, and everyone was happy. But all of that changed in the year 2135.

A clone by the name of Octavius Smith took the world by storm. For 5 years Octavius held dictatorship over America and life was- for the lack of a better word- Hell. Famine ravaged the country, economy collapsed, people were dying left and right from disease, and the peoples hate began to burgeon.
Hey, I can see that look of doubt in your eyes. I know what you’re all thinking, “How could this happen? How could people just let this happen?” Well, would you like me to tell you a little about Octavius then? I should warn you, you may be disturbed by what you hear. Still insisting I see, well fine then. But remember, you asked for it.
Where should I start? Octavius Smith was “created” in 2100. As a child, he was exactly like the person he was cloned from. Modest, kind, believed in equality for all people, but when he was 15 years old, he was forced to watch a NYC gang murder his “mother.” After that day, his hatred for humans grew immensely. On the surface he was still the same person that he had always been, but underneath laid the heart of a monster. I bet you wouldn’t be able to guess who he was cloned from in a hundred, no a million years. Do you want a hint? Think India. I can see that puzzled look in your eyes. Think a little harder now. I know you can do it. Still stuck? Here let me give you another hint: The Salt March. There you go; I see those wheels a-turning in your mind. You’ve guessed it; Octavius Smith was none other than the infamous Gandhi! Now do you see why everyone figured that he would be a great leader? Well, I guess it just goes to show that you can’t judge a book by its cover, now can you?
Well, enough about how stupid people can be, let’s get back to the good stuff, shall we? At the end of Octavius’s reign he was assassinated by an unknown human. The man that replaced him decided that something like that could never happen again, so he immediately passed what he called The Clone Clause. The Clone Clause stated that clones were not human, nor did they have a soul. Clones could no longer interact with humans, meaning that they couldn’t go to school, get good jobs, have families, or vote. Basically, clones were worse off than dogs, no, they were worse off than a dog’s dog. Everyone rejoiced when this Clause was passed, that is, everyone but the clones. After years of being accepted into society, clones were being ostracized and their own families disowned them. In the years that followed The Clone Clause, many clones took their lives, and many more still went into hiding.

Now, nearly twenty-one years later our story truly begins on one unfortunate night.
Chapter 1:
It was a dark and stormy night; thunder yelled its unforgiving cry through the land as a large, muscular man slowly pulled back the sheets on my bed. His slender face was covered by a mahogany ski mask, covering any identifiable features that he may have had. Suddenly, in one swift motion the man brought a machete out from behind his back and slashed towards my sleeping figure.

Whoa, let’s pause and rewind that scene for a second, shall we? That’s not what really happened, but I had you going there, didn’t I? You should have seen the look on your faces! Oh, come on, don’t be so offended. I was only joking. Okay, so I was just trying to make the story sound more interesting. Maybe I exaggerated a little too much, but the dark stormy night stuff is true, along with the thunder and sheet pulling. So here’s what really happened after that.

“It’s her, Ronny. She’s the one we’ve been looking for,” A deep, raspy voice sounded from the mysterious man.

“Well, let’s hurry up and bag her before she wakes, Conway. We don’t need another repeat of the Zarson case,” answered his partner.

“Well here, hand me the cuffs and gag so I can! I’ll tie her up a smidge on the tight side.”

“Yeah, you do that, but don’t you rough her up too good. The Boss wants her in primo condition.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know what The Boss wants us to do. But what The Boss don’t know can’t hurt him, now can it?” Conway snickered as he reached towards me again.

“Wait, hold on a sec!” Ronny called anxiously, “You forgot the sedative! We don’t want her waking up on us and crying bloody murder to the whole neighborhood! Not that anyone would really care about what happened to an abomination like her, but still, just to be on the safe side-“

“Here, let me do it,” Conway interrupted as he reached for a long, slender vial.

“Whoa there, hold your horses, Conway! I’m the scientist here, not you! You’re just a hired thug, and a pretty stupid one at that!”

“Who you callin’ stupid, stupid?!”

“Oh, nice comeback, Con, but if the shoe fits…….”

So, what do you think about these two losers? Pretty “stupid,” huh? Well, unfortunately this went on for quite a while longer, but in order to save you from losing too many brains cells, I’ll just skip to the end.

“That’s it! Why, I outta……. I outta punch your lights out! I can’t stand working with you, four eyes!”

“Well I’m not too crazy about you either, skunk breath!” Ronny retaliated, “I don’t know about you, but I for one don’t want to mess this up and have The Boss ‘retire’ me. Now quick, let’s get this over with.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. The sooner we get this over with, the sooner I can get away from you,” answered Conway as Ronny slowly inserted the thick needle into my forearm.

“Oh crap, Conway! She’s waking up! Quick, what do we do?!” he hissed as the pain from the needle caused me to wake.

“Who…who are you people, and what the heck are you doing in my room?” I questioned as I jumped out of my bed and into the corner of my small, closet-sized room.

Yeah, I know it wasn’t the greatest of moments, but what you would say if you saw two freak-a-zoids standing over your bed as you slept?

“Here, Ronny, this is what we do,” and with that, Conway punched me in the face, causing me to black out.

“That was ingenious, Conway, but what are we gonna tell The Boss when he sees that she has a black eye and a cracked skull?”

“She doesn’t have a cracked skull, Ronny; nor will she have a black eye. I punched her in the temple, hard enough to knock her out, but soft enough that there will be no lasting damage.”

Unfortunately, Conway was wrong about that one, surprise, surprise. I had a bruise the size of an apple on my face for weeks! With all that talk of “The Boss” being angry if something happened to me, they weren’t very careful.

“Well, I guess I underestimated you then.”

“Yes, yes you did. Now let’s get outta here afore she wakes up again.”

“Yeah, you never can tell what people like her will do to the rest of us,” Ronny glared as Conway flung me over his shoulder, “Well, let’s get going. The Boss is gonna have a coronary if we don’t get back soon.”
And with that, the two masked men walked brusquely out of my house and disappeared into the shadows of that moonless night.

To Be Continued……

What? Did you expect me to go on? Come on, people! I know how these things work. I’ll keep you in suspense for a while, and maybe, just maybe when I tell you the rest of my story, I’ll let you in on a few secrets, but for now, I guess you’re all outta luck.

EmilyGram said...
Mar. 19, 2011 at 12:00 am:
The clone-topic has been covered many times before, but your take is unique and interesting.  I wonder where the story will lead!  You might want to work on making the dialogue more authentic, and how does the narrator know what the kidnappers are saying if she has been knocked out?  Anyway, good job!  Keep writing! :)

EmilyGram replied...
Mar. 19, 2011 at 12:01 am :
PS. Please check out my sci-fi novel White Ribbon.  I would really appreciate your feedback!

charmiypiggy said...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 3:33 pm:

The most introiguing thing would be how you wrote in the second person. The concept for the story was pretty interesting too, but I don't read many second person pieces. It's a pleasant change. Your 'voice' in the piece sounds cynical, which, I guess, is to be expected, as you are a clone. I was a little disappointed in the way they talked, since I just figured that they'd be speaking differently in the future, and probably using lots of words we don't know. But that'd be confusing and anyway... (more »)

Kay1456 said...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 1:33 pm:

Please comment, people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To-wild-4-you said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 11:50 am:
You already know what i think about it kaykay lol Burn it (jkjk)

Kay1456 replied...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 12:46 pm :

That wasn't very nice

To-wild-4-you replied...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:09 am :
You know i'm only jokeing. I can't wait to read the rest of it which knowing you there will be lol <3

Kay1456 replied...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 11:45 am :
yeah, I'll write more, but i don't know if I will write more for class or not.  I started another story that I really like, also, I have writer's block on this one.

Loco-Lu said...
Feb. 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm:
Haha! I still love this piece. :D You are going to write more... right?

Kay1456 replied...
Feb. 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm :
maybe......maybe not. You'll just have to wait and see!! :-D

Kat112 said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm:
Hey Kayla! i'm the first to comment on your piece, wooh! Great job and keep up the good work. I can't wait for more!

Kay1456 replied...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm :
Thanks, Katherine!  I'm in the process of writing more, and I can't wait to comment on your story once it's online!