The Night

By flyingpinkgiraffes PLATINUM, Chardon, Ohio
flyingpinkgiraffes PLATINUM, Chardon, Ohio

"When in doubt, kill your main character." ~Me
"Worry is like a rocking chair. It will give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere."

The glowing symbols on the otherworldly device in front of me metamorphose once again. The squiggles and half- triangles and loops disappear, replaced with a more familiar, sophisticated set of three circles, the first made of two stacked atop each other, resembling a snowman. My cue. I stiffen and straiten up. Any moment now she’ll enter, and another hard night of my crucial labor will begin.
The rose- colored door complains as it is swings open, for it is old and arthritic, subject to back pains and sore hinges. A blinding light shoots into the small fortress, as if it has been lying in ambush for a long time, waiting to strike. Then the Queen strides into the room, formal and strong, her right hand holding the abnormally sized paw of her body guard, a huge grizzly bear that has been my rival ever since I had been hired. He glares and growls softly, and I fire my most evil, red eyed glare towards him, pretending that my eyes are lasers and I can cut through his thick coat of glossy brown fur.
I attempt to nod my head respectfully as Her Majesty parades past my station, but my body is strait and hard as a nail, the only disadvantage of my prestigious position. I wait for the moment she will reach down and tap me, my signal to begin. I will proudly breath out the hottest, brightest flame I can manage, battling shadows and the sinister shroud of darkness. My entire night will be spent defending the honor of light, stopping monsters and other ill- boding, injurious, black- hearted creatures that may dare venture into this territory.
But no tap comes. I feel nothing. I glance up to notice that the Queen is arranging her guard- bear atop her bed, before she even gives the order for me to start. She must have forgotten, I think, but for the good of this kingdom, I must still prevail.
I try to start my fire by myself, but I can’t. It’s impossible.
Her Royal Highness turns towards me and reaches my position in three quick steps, then, with a sad look in her eyes, wraps her entire hand around my tiny self. In a moment of panic I realize that I am being disconnected from my power source, where I have stood for years. With a regretful sigh, the five- year- old girl reluctantly tosses me into the trashcan.
“I’m too old for nightlights.”

I don't even know where this story came from. See if you can figure out who the Narrator is before the end!

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!