Spire

As time moved on, humanity’s intelligence grew exponentially. On Sunday, April 4th, 3542, we invented a method that could link the minds of people. In doing this, we entered a stage where all of human intelligence could be combined into a single thinking being, entering an “intelligence spiral.” Thus, we named this technology “Spire”.

With this enormous intellectual advantage, humanity’s technology skyrocketed. Within 10,000 years, we discovered a way to harvest and store every bit of the energy radiated from the sun. Within 100,000 years, we found a way to travel faster than light. With this newfound technology, humanity spread to every corner of the Galaxy, populating every planet, around every star in the Milky Way.

Then, on July 7th, 20,010,112, humanity realized something. We realized the Universe is not timeless, and eventually space itself will come to an end. We wanted to know how. So humanity began to think, how will the Universe end? We needed data, far more data than we had then. So we began collecting. Over millennia, the combined intelligence of humanity’s greatest minds collected information and tried to determine the ultimate fate of the Universe.

2,000,000 years later, we discovered the answer. The ultimate fate of the Universe would be that all matter would be pulled into a single point, into an ultra-massive black hole. Gravity would pull all matter in on itself, and crush it into a single point.

Naturally, our first question was “how do we slow the effect of gravity?” This, we simply could not answer. We knew that the data collection would take billions of years, and so we began our investigation immediately.

Billions of years became trillions, and still we came no closer to an answer. In this time, humanity had spread out past our galaxy, into the vast Universe that we were so determined to save. What was once a meager population of only 6 billion souls had also become trillions of beings, spread over billions of light years into the heavens. Over this time, the Universe had stopped expanding, and had begun collapsing in on itself, into that single massive black hole that we had predicted millennia ago.

10,000 years before the last of the cosmos was pulled into oblivion, humanity realized that there may not be hope. We needed to flee our dying Universe into dimensions beyond. And so with the time we had left, all of humanity gathered and merged with each other through Spire, the piece of technology invented so long ago. Upon fusing, we used the most advanced of our technology and left our Universe for good, escaping the crushing blackness of the singularity.

We watched from other dimensions as the last pieces of Our cosmos were pulled into that massive black hole, the one that had now destroyed everything familiar to Us. When this was over, We thought. Every bit of data had been collected, every experiment had been done. Now, We took that information and tried to discover the reversal of gravity, even after time and space ceased to exist.

Eventually, after piecing every bit of the data together, We discovered the answer. We returned to our universe, and gazed upon the black, crushing singularity that had obliterated everything We knew. However, We also knew what lay inside it... everything that was needed to start the Universe anew lay clasped in that dark abyss.
And so We said “Let there be light!”
And there was light…

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 4:46 pm:
i agree its very dramatic but its really good. i love the ending and i really like the way the story was told awel!! great work!!

-Insert_Evil_Laugh-This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 17, 2011 at 6:27 pm:
Wow, this was just... great. The story is simply golden. I love then ending, and how you got the whole thing into a reasonable size without losing the effect. Very good. :D

Raven_Mi said...
Dec. 29, 2010 at 9:54 am:

that was really cool kinda dramatic at the end but i really loven it.

i sounds like the begining of a film where the camera shows stuff and theres this voice over telling a story

i really hope u write more