The Music | Teen Ink

The Music

By AelitaReloaded PLATINUM, Scottsdale, Arizona
AelitaReloaded PLATINUM, Scottsdale, Arizona

"The pen is mightier than the sword" author unknown (to me)

Spaceship Week 1

“Please, don’t send me there!” I cried, for the last of a thousand times. Of course, it was far too late for that. They had locked the hatch to the space ship without so much as a backwards glance.

They locked me up in this space ship, because I was found guilty of murder. I begged, and I plead, but only the hard metal ears of the robotic judge heard my pleas.

“Guilty.” The word that made me cry. The word that ruined my life. I was now to be forced to go to a sparsely inhabited planet with no human life. I would live there, light years from home; forever.

The ship was entirely automatic. There was nothing I could do to change its course. I was completely and entirely alone. Since I was no threat, now, I was permitted to walk the ship at will. I paced around the control room, as though the answer to my plight might be somehow found within the chrome buttons.

It would take approximately ten years to reach my destination. I had the ability to enter cryogenic sleep whenever I wanted. But not yet. I still was not resolved to admitting that this was all really happening. To submit to the cryogenic sleep would be to admit defeat. To admit that it had really happened.

I helped myself to some beef jerky… again… I was tired, but I refused to sleep; for that would automatically activate the cryo-freeze.

I looked once more through the data logs that recorded all known information about the planet that would be forever my home. It contained creatures much like myself. There were a few cosmetic differences such as skins colors, hair coloration, and limb structures, but aside from that our two planets were genetically identical; or at very least compatible.

Nobody from my planet lived there. It was completely unobserved. Everything we knew we learned by watching from a distance.

Spaceship Week 2

The physical exhaustion is tremendous. I have not slept in two weeks. If I do not sleep soon, I fear insanity is very near. As it is I find myself immersed in frightful delusions. I will soon be forced to undergo the cryo-freeze. I am getting very sick of beef jerky. The law enforcement did not provide enough rations for me to remain active for this long.

Reluctantly, I go to sleep.

Landing
I wake up to hear a female mechanical voice say, “Landing is imminent. Please get seated and fasten your seatbelt.” Although in a daze, I scrambled to comply. I gripped the seat as tightly as I could as the ship bounced up and down, in a way that jarred my teeth. “You may now exit the spacecraft.” The same disembodied voice informed me. But I didn’t. I went back inside.

“Cryo-freeze activated.” The voice said. I did not want to face this.

I was forced back into consciousness, when the cryo-freeze deactivated the voice said, “Intruder in cabin.” This immediately forced me back to alertness. A simple humanoid creature approached the ship. It was a man, who appeared to be clothed in little but a fur wrap. He emitted a guttural sound as he crawled in on his knuckles.

How long had I been here? With a sigh, I left, and the primitive man followed. He led me to a cave. It was deep. And had the most spectacular crystals coming down from it.

The man was not the only one like himself. Around seven or eight more men; a myriad of women, and more children than I could count, eventually filed into the cave. Each one would eye me curiously, and emit a low grunt or two; but no recognizable sounds were made.

I cried again, my tears staining my face, and turned my eyes a bright red. I sat in a corner of the cave. Not only was I the only one of my kind here; but I was unable to communicate with them. Any communication, however simplistic, would’ve remedied many of my tears.

The original man, who appeared to be simian as best I could see, put one finger to my small button like nose. And then one to his own slightly elongated nose. I understood, he was comparing. He could see that we were different, but similar. He fingered my pink wings, then his own bare back.

Crying still, I began to speak to him, hoping that he might understand my intonation, “Hello there, friend.” I cooed, “I am very, very far from home.” I sighed. He seemed to understand, and put his head in my lap.

I began to sing softly. I had never been much of a singer, my notes always wavered closer towards breaking glass and ears alike than to entertaining anyone; but now I sang with all my heart. I sang the songs from my home. All of them, any songs that I could think of. The songs that I loved, the songs that I hated, and even the songs where I had to rewrite some of the words because I couldn’t remember them all. I sang for hours and hours, lamenting through someone else’s words; my woe.

When I finally stopped, I realized that all of the men and women had been staring at me. Then I understood. They had never heard music before. A few of them tried to imitate me, and I would sing a note so that they could copy it.

After a few weeks, some of them began to pick up my language, and I started to learn theirs. I had told them my story many times over.

One of the children, who seemed to be the most adept at my language asked me one day, “Did you really do it?”

“Do what?” I replied curtly.

“Did you really kill all those people?” The girl looked up to me with childish innocence in her eyes.

“No.” I answered quietly, “I didn’t.”

The little girl wrapped her arms round me as best she could with such small arms, and simply said, “I know.”

In this way I received my welcome to the planet called Earth. A place of green, and blue. Mountains, and grass and sea. And now, thanks to me, a place of song. So now you know the truth, of how music came to your world.

on Dec. 26 2011 at 7:28 pm

Thanks! Wow, I'd completely fo0rgotten that I ever even wrote this one. I had to read it again, because I had only the vaguest of memories of how the story goes. Thanks for the review, k.Wrizzle!

on Dec. 26 2011 at 6:50 pm
k.Wrizzle. GOLD, Dry Prong, Louisiana

"The Lord Lives!
Blessed be the Rock!
Let God be exalted!
The Rock of my salvation!"
-2 Samuel 22:47

Well written. VERY. I can't say it was spectacular, merely because I'm not a big sci-fi fan. However, the plot was quite interesting. It held my attention. I did enjoy reading it, and the ending was a little surprising. I like the spin you put on it. Overall, I did like this story. Keep writing!