His Mask | Teen Ink

His Mask

By mymask DIAMOND, Dayton, Ohio
mymask DIAMOND, Dayton, Ohio

Illigitimi non carborundum!

Alea Iacta est!

He wore a thousand different masks; I never got to see his true face. One day he was happy and another day, he was sad. He had a thousand different homes; some were big and some were small. But all in all, he was always wearing a mask.
“I’ve never seen his face” His doctor told me once, “But I know that there is a great man behind the masks.”
Every personality was different and some days, he stayed the same, oh, well.
The year was 2456 A.D. when we first met. He came floating out of the sky and plopped down in a pond in a park. At first, I was scared. After all, being a girl in the 25th century isn’t all just joy and love, we had to be careful around boys (you probably know why). I was the one who nurtured him and I was the first girl to have a crush on him. His name was Sinister, and trust me, he was pretty cool. At first, he was quiet and shy but soon our school found out that he was very smart. At the time, I was going to the Jasmine’s academy for young girls and he was going to the school next to ours: Benedict’s school for young boys. He knew everything: Psychology, math, science, English studies, and any topic that you could think of. Anyways, anybody who talked of Sinister often had this to say of him.
“He’s very mysterious” Or “Where does he go on the weekends?”

Every night, the stars came out over our space colony and every night, the nebulas danced and sang in the night. Their blinding beauty was that of a dancer dancing into the night. The last night I saw him, he stood in the middle of the park and sighed.
“Hello, S” I said (I called him S)
“Greetings, Samantha” He said, “How are you today?”
“I’m well” I said, “what are you looking at?”
“My home.” He said.
“Where is your home?”
“Up there.”
“What?”
He looked at me and sadly smiled.
“I’m not a regular boy” He said, “I wear masks, not faces.”
“What?”
“I have traveled time and space and I have conquered many planets that were under the rule of evil, I am…”
He stopped and looked at his watch.
“It’s almost time for me to go.” He said.
“Go where?” I asked.
“I’m going home.”
His body began to glow eerily as he began to levitate off the ground.
“What are you?” I asked.
He glanced at me and said:
“I am…The Time Traveler.”
Looking into the sky, he sighed.
“I’m coming home.” He said.
For he was the one thing that cannot love or be loved…he was…The Time Traveler.

Fantasia80 GOLD, Cincinnati, Ohio

"If music be the food of love, play on." - William Shakespeare

Interesting...:-)