Atlantian Adventure part 3 | Teen Ink

Atlantian Adventure part 3

October 8, 2010
By julyox20 SILVER, Huntley, Illinois
julyox20 SILVER, Huntley, Illinois
8 articles 4 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe. "


We were silent as we waited for what we just read to sink in. This was surreal, it was not possible for Atlantis to be real, it wasn't probable. I believed in mystical creatures as much as any other person, I thought mermaids could exist, and I think that there are aliens in space; I also believed that Santa Clause could be real, but this wasn't realistic. A city can't just sink and survive the pressure and weathering of the ocean for 300 years.


Tyra recovered from the shock first. "This is awesome a real life adventure. Who ever thought that the city would actually exist. Don't you think it's fantastic," she said looking at me, excitement glowing on her face.


She believed this? How could she believe it, it didn't make sense, it wasn't logical. Tyra looked at me and I asked, "Do really believe this note.


Some of the excitement ebbed off her face, " Well, yeah its certainly could be a joke if that's what you mean, but don't you want to try. We could always check those breather things if you want proof," she added quickly.


I looked into the sink searching for the "breathers" that were supposed to be proof. They were there. Floating amidst the blue globs were small pink pill like orbs. They had a criss-cross pattern on the same shade of blue as the letter was written with. I picked one up and squeezed it, it was slightly squishy like Advil, but solid and once again it was damp. Tyra walked up behind me and snatched it out of my hand. I spun around to face her


"If you're not going to do it, then I will," she said angrily, popped the orb into her mouth and swallowed.


"Tyra!" I shouted and then covered my mouth if Mrs. Carcowski caught me yelling she would come running down and catch the mess we made.


Tyra started to chew the orb, then blew a bubble with it. She blew a huge bubble, but it kept growing, even when she stopped blowing it kept growing. It grew and grew until it was about the size of my 5 gallon fish tank. Then the bubble slid back and started to encase Tyra's head. We both screamed, loud, high, horror movie screams. This time it caused a knocking on the door. I pulled and tugged trying to break Tyra free from it and got it off just as Mrs. Carcowski burst through the door.


"What's going on," she asked disgruntled. I Was about to tell her when Tyra shoved in front of me and showed her the note, blabbering on about what we found out. Mrs. Carcowcki looked at us as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing, she forbid us from following the note saying it was just some crude prank that some high school kids were pulling. I slumped back to bed disappointed by the turn out of the day. I lost my bottle because of Tyra, got scolded because of Tyra, and couldn't fall asleep because of Tyra's insistent murmuring of," I know that, that note is real. I just know it."


I awoke to the sound of Tyra getting ready. She was wearing our school wet suit and packing her collection bag with a flashlight and flippers and these new turbo propellers that the resort loaned us. I looked t the clock and it only read 6:30 AM. Where in the world could she be going this early?


Tyra looked up from her bag and saw me sitting up. "Morning Sleepyhead!" she said cheerfully.


I stared at her, "Where are you going?" I asked


Tyra straightened up and said matter-of-factly, "I'm going to Atlantis."


What! She can't go! I threw the covers off of myself, jumping out of bed, "You can't go, Mrs. Carcowski said no. and besides I'm your partner and if you go anywhere without me you'll be in so much trouble, you'll be lucky if you ever have get a detention free afternoon again," I added quickly, seeing her indifference, Tyra wouldn't dream of missing a day of softball practice.


"You think I care." She said looking at me pointedly, one eyebrow raised, "And besides, you would get in more trouble for letting me go then I would for going. Since I'm your partner and you have to keep an eye on me." She finished a satisfied smirk on her face.


I scowled at her that was cheap, and annoying, but true. If I told or Mrs. Carcowski found out I let Tyra go by herself, to the ocean, when it was still dark out, I would lose half my grade and most likely get my head student privileges taken away.


"Fine," I said still scowling as I pulled on my wet suit and put some supplies of my own in my collection bag.


"Great!" she sang, shoving a pouch full of breathers into her bag and zipping it up. She threw it over her shoulder and skipped out of the room, and I grudgingly followed.