Sirius-the-Dragon and the Hilarious Hydra

Sirius-the-Dragon was so vain. Every day he looked at his reflection in a mirror, and preened his turquoise feathers, making sure none were out of place. He check his jade and aqua-colored scales for any blemishes. His eyes were a perfect emerald green, and you could get lost in them if you glared at them too long (just ask his best friend, Shelby, the sea dragon). His voice was melodious, all the songbirds sat in envied when he sang.
All the female dragons loved him. When he puffed out his chest and arched himself across the sky, they swooned.
However, none loved him more than Nebula, the two headed dragon – or hydra, as they liked to be called. She was head over fins for Sirius, yet he didn’t feel the same way.”
“Oh, Sirius,” the first head cooed. “You are the most handsome dragon in the world!” “Sirius, would you marry me?” the second head asked, blushing. Both heads ambushed him with kisses and tugged on him.
“Whoa, whoa,” Sirius said, setting himself free of them. “Hold on there, you crazy multi-headed ... There’s plenty of Sirius to go around for the both of you, but I’m not the marrying type.”
The hydra cooked her heads. “What do you mean, you’re not the marrying type?”
Sirius just shrugged and answered that Nebula was a nice girl, but she was a few screws short of a toolbox.
Nebula was furious, but she drew herself together. If she could not have him, no one could.
She marched to her cave, got out her magic book, and set to work on a spell. One head mixed all the ingredients together while the other said the mystic words to bewitch the portion. Once she was finished she poured all of the fluid into a bowl of milk and gave it to Sirius the next day.
“Here,” she said, smiling maliciously. “Consider it a gift.”
Sirius sniffed the milk. “Whew! What’s in this? Liquid farts?”
Nebula blushed at his adorable youthfulness. “Taste it.” She motioned for him to drink
Sirius gulped down the mixture, which had such a honey-flavor that he swallowed nearly all of it leaving just a tiny bit.
“Mmmmmh,” he said licking his lips. “That stuff is the bomb, though I feel kinda shook up.” His head became fuzzy and he felt as if the room were spinning. Heavier and heavier his eyelids became, until he shut them as he collapsed with a loud thump.
Hours later, he arose with an awful taste in his mouth. He looked around at his and realized he wasn’t in his lair, but in a dark, damp castle, and that he was imprisoned in a bird cage.
“What’s gonna here!” he shouted. “Where I am!?”
Nebula came near, grinning, her blackish scales gleaming with black and different shades of purples.
“Take it easy, my little song bird,” she said, one head stoking him. “It’ll all be over soon enough. Once I use my magic to give you another head, you’ll be my teddy bear forever!”
Sirius looked at Nebula. “This chick is a slice of Swiss cheese with extra holes in it!” he thought to himself. “The things some women will do to snatch a devilishly handsome hunk.”
Meanwhile, Shelby, the sea serpent, had stopped by Sirius’s cave for a visit only to see that he wasn’t home. The place was more of a disaster area than usual. She noticed that he had left his sliver comb on the floor which was odd, because he never went any place without it.
She looked high and low for him, in all the locations he could normally be found, but she but no Sirius. Finally, desperate, she went to Nebula’s castle to see if his crazed fan knew of his whereabouts.
As she swam toward the underwater castle, Shelby had a tingling in the pit of her stomach. There was something unpleasant about this place.
“Boy,” she said, as she enter the castle and glanced around at all the pictures of Sirius. “This funky place just screams ‘I need to be medicated.”
When she wandered into the kitchen and discovered Sirius’s entrapment, she was so completely alarmed. that her screams shattered all the glass in the castle.
Nebula’s heads zoomed in on Shelby, she was about to strike when Shelby said, “You know, girl, I don’t understand why you’re so obsessed with Sirius. I mean look at him.”
Nebula stared at her in confusion. “What’s wrong with him?”
Shelby winked at Sirius as she began to listed his flaws. “Well, for starters he’s vain, do you really want to date someone that people are saying is prettier than you? And he doesn’t have any street smarts. In fact, he doesn’t have any smarts – period!”
Sirius started to take offence to Shelby’s comments, but knew that wink and kept quiet so her plan could work.
“His head is disproportional to the rest of his body; he’s a know-it-all who doesn’t really know-it-all,” Shelby continued. “He’s girl crazy. And do you really want to be around him after he eats cheese? You might wanna consider putting more windows and scented candles in if you do.”
Nebula’s heads looked at each other and thought about her next move.
The hydra set Sirius free and replaced all the pictures of him with a three-headed dragon instead.
“Can you believe that nutty fruitcake?” Sirius griped, as they made their way out of the castle. “She kidnaps me and then says that she rather be with somebody else! Somebody less handsome!”
Shelby couldn’t believe how obnoxious he was being. “You idiot! She was gonna turn you into a two headed freak!”
“Yeah,” Sirius said looking at himself in the mirror. “Well, at least she had good taste, baby.”

beautifulworld said...
I am so happy I read this!! It made my day :) Your a wonderful children's author, and I love how it wasn't one of those kid's stories like "Ted has a ball. The ball is red." It's amazing!

mudpuppy replied...
Aug. 19, 2010 at 4:22 pm :
Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Still_Waters26 said...
Good job, I loved it!  Cute, entertaining, and leaves lots of elbow room for a sequel. 

mudpuppy replied...
Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:14 pm :
Thank you, maybe a sequel would be good. ;) Cheese and Krakens has one through that I'm thinking of posting on here.

just.me_899 said...
hah, that was an awesome story!!! :DDD there wer just some grammatical mistakes, but the actual story was greatt ^^ it made me smile, in a comical way!! brilliant job!!!

mudpuppy replied...
Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:50 pm :
Thank you! Thank you so much!

squidzinkpen said...
Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:26 am:
Oh this was lovely! Absolutely wonderful for children! I mean, I'm a teenager, and I still got a kick out of it! I love Sirius, the name and the character, and dragons? How intoxicatingly interesting?!

mudpuppy replied...
Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:09 am :
Thank you! That's so sweet of you to take time to read and comment on it!

evermore5 said...
Wow this was really cute and orignal lets jst say i laughed really hard at the metaphors!

mudpuppy replied...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 1:21 pm :
Thank you. I try to make my stories as humorous as possible. ;)

evermore5 replied...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 6:03 pm :
well keep it up u have an amazing talent ^_^

mudpuppy replied...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 6:17 pm :
Thank you again, I should say the same to you. :)

monalisa1 said...
Jul. 26, 2010 at 11:38 pm:
i like this story too. Sirius had to learn the hard way, but he didn't learn anything. He was still vain and clueless. Good way.   

mudpuppy replied...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 9:57 am :
Thanks you so much. :)

LuvKirstyn14 said...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:57 pm:
:) the story was cute. Sirius seemed like a typical self-absorbed jerk. I liked the whole dragon idea. It was fantasy mixed with realism. Good job.

mudpuppy replied...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:41 pm :
Thanks, yeah, he is kinda of jerk. :)

sajciesann replied...
Jul. 26, 2010 at 11:44 pm :
I agree with this guy. Good job there friend. :)

mudpuppy replied...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 10:00 am :
Thanks you.

babigerl1194 said...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:44 am:
it wasnt bad. i like how the ending wasnt cliche and the jerk was let go and didnt learn anything. though maybe you should consider putting in one - since most stories have one. i didnt get the theme. but nice story!

mudpuppy replied...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:36 pm :
Thank you.

AprilNeon said...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 9:46 pm:

I really think you shot it like you meant to! Great job keeping it elementary, I would've loved reading this when I was little. 

Plus, love the name Sirius, so extra highfive. Lol :)