Sirius-the-Dragon and the Hilarious Hydra

Sirius-the-Dragon was so vain. Every day he looked at his reflection in a mirror, and preened his turquoise feathers, making sure none were out of place. He check his jade and aqua-colored scales for any blemishes. His eyes were a perfect emerald green, and you could get lost in them if you glared at them too long (just ask his best friend, Shelby, the sea dragon). His voice was melodious, all the songbirds sat in envied when he sang.
All the female dragons loved him. When he puffed out his chest and arched himself across the sky, they swooned.
However, none loved him more than Nebula, the two headed dragon – or hydra, as they liked to be called. She was head over fins for Sirius, yet he didn’t feel the same way.”
“Oh, Sirius,” the first head cooed. “You are the most handsome dragon in the world!” “Sirius, would you marry me?” the second head asked, blushing. Both heads ambushed him with kisses and tugged on him.
“Whoa, whoa,” Sirius said, setting himself free of them. “Hold on there, you crazy multi-headed ... There’s plenty of Sirius to go around for the both of you, but I’m not the marrying type.”
The hydra cooked her heads. “What do you mean, you’re not the marrying type?”
Sirius just shrugged and answered that Nebula was a nice girl, but she was a few screws short of a toolbox.
Nebula was furious, but she drew herself together. If she could not have him, no one could.
She marched to her cave, got out her magic book, and set to work on a spell. One head mixed all the ingredients together while the other said the mystic words to bewitch the portion. Once she was finished she poured all of the fluid into a bowl of milk and gave it to Sirius the next day.
“Here,” she said, smiling maliciously. “Consider it a gift.”
Sirius sniffed the milk. “Whew! What’s in this? Liquid farts?”
Nebula blushed at his adorable youthfulness. “Taste it.” She motioned for him to drink
Sirius gulped down the mixture, which had such a honey-flavor that he swallowed nearly all of it leaving just a tiny bit.
“Mmmmmh,” he said licking his lips. “That stuff is the bomb, though I feel kinda shook up.” His head became fuzzy and he felt as if the room were spinning. Heavier and heavier his eyelids became, until he shut them as he collapsed with a loud thump.
Hours later, he arose with an awful taste in his mouth. He looked around at his and realized he wasn’t in his lair, but in a dark, damp castle, and that he was imprisoned in a bird cage.
“What’s gonna here!” he shouted. “Where I am!?”
Nebula came near, grinning, her blackish scales gleaming with black and different shades of purples.
“Take it easy, my little song bird,” she said, one head stoking him. “It’ll all be over soon enough. Once I use my magic to give you another head, you’ll be my teddy bear forever!”
Sirius looked at Nebula. “This chick is a slice of Swiss cheese with extra holes in it!” he thought to himself. “The things some women will do to snatch a devilishly handsome hunk.”
Meanwhile, Shelby, the sea serpent, had stopped by Sirius’s cave for a visit only to see that he wasn’t home. The place was more of a disaster area than usual. She noticed that he had left his sliver comb on the floor which was odd, because he never went any place without it.
She looked high and low for him, in all the locations he could normally be found, but she but no Sirius. Finally, desperate, she went to Nebula’s castle to see if his crazed fan knew of his whereabouts.
As she swam toward the underwater castle, Shelby had a tingling in the pit of her stomach. There was something unpleasant about this place.
“Boy,” she said, as she enter the castle and glanced around at all the pictures of Sirius. “This funky place just screams ‘I need to be medicated.”
When she wandered into the kitchen and discovered Sirius’s entrapment, she was so completely alarmed. that her screams shattered all the glass in the castle.
Nebula’s heads zoomed in on Shelby, she was about to strike when Shelby said, “You know, girl, I don’t understand why you’re so obsessed with Sirius. I mean look at him.”
Nebula stared at her in confusion. “What’s wrong with him?”
Shelby winked at Sirius as she began to listed his flaws. “Well, for starters he’s vain, do you really want to date someone that people are saying is prettier than you? And he doesn’t have any street smarts. In fact, he doesn’t have any smarts – period!”
Sirius started to take offence to Shelby’s comments, but knew that wink and kept quiet so her plan could work.
“His head is disproportional to the rest of his body; he’s a know-it-all who doesn’t really know-it-all,” Shelby continued. “He’s girl crazy. And do you really want to be around him after he eats cheese? You might wanna consider putting more windows and scented candles in if you do.”
Nebula’s heads looked at each other and thought about her next move.
The hydra set Sirius free and replaced all the pictures of him with a three-headed dragon instead.
“Can you believe that nutty fruitcake?” Sirius griped, as they made their way out of the castle. “She kidnaps me and then says that she rather be with somebody else! Somebody less handsome!”
Shelby couldn’t believe how obnoxious he was being. “You idiot! She was gonna turn you into a two headed freak!”
“Yeah,” Sirius said looking at himself in the mirror. “Well, at least she had good taste, baby.”

Fizza_98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 1:15 am:
so cute...! had sirius lost all the vain?! :D really nice story. chek out my poen-lone dog and article-the robot. say if you like it! :)

mudpuppy replied...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 3:36 am :
Thanks! Yes, this experience has "deflated" his ego a bit. I'll check out your pieces right now. :)

Fizza_98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 10:43 am :
looks like sirius had something for nebula in his heart! but I guess that you have named the characters after stars and constellations? :D

mudpuppy replied...
Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:48 pm :
Yeah, I really science so that's why some of the character's have starry names. Thank so much for the nice comment! I'm sorry it took me so long to response, but school has kept me on edge.

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 30, 2011 at 1:40 am:
Cute! Love the humour! :) I love reading stories like this once in a while... There's a special place for them, don't you think?

mudpuppy replied...
May 30, 2011 at 7:31 am :
Yes, every now and then a good laugh is needed! :) Thanks for reading and for the rating! Comments like yours make me smile! :)

lucybrown2010This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 23, 2011 at 10:26 am:

Aw, I love this!  I especially liked it when Shelby listed Sirius's flaws.  Then when Sirius was released he griped about how she wanted someone less handsome. 

Once again, Sirius has an amazing personality- I'll be sure to read 'Worm in my Poisoned Apple' and all the others.

mudpuppy replied...
Jan. 23, 2011 at 12:05 pm :
Really? Thank you, I'm glad you like him! Thanks for commenting. Yeah, he did seem just a bit 'jealous' at the end didn't he?

Lily1 said...
I love it! It's so cute! lol and funny!!!

mudpuppy replied...
Dec. 15, 2010 at 7:51 pm :
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy them! I try to keep me stories 'family friendly' and make them funny and wacky.

mudpuppy replied...
Dec. 15, 2010 at 7:52 pm :
Oops, I mean 'my stories'. Sorry about that.

Odyesseus said...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 10:15 am:
it is awesome

mudpuppy replied...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 4:17 pm :
Thanks. I read on your profile that you like greek mythology too. I'm very flatter that you took the time to read my work. :)

Diana101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I'm normally not one for dragon-ish stories but your story was really good!! Keep on writing!!!

Could you comment on my story?

I have another story called "Murder of Guilt" but when you click on my name it doesn't show up. So you have kinda have to go to 'fiction' and it has only 1 comment, so i would appriciate it:)

mudpuppy replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 5:57 pm :
I commented just today. Thanks again for reading my story. :)

singing4ever said...
Aug. 22, 2010 at 11:08 am:
The descriptions are excellent. I really like it!

mudpuppy replied...
Aug. 22, 2010 at 12:42 pm :
Thank you for reading it! :)

-Missy- said...
Aug. 22, 2010 at 10:34 am:
Amazing story! Good description!

mudpuppy replied...
Aug. 22, 2010 at 12:42 pm :
Thanks you!

beautifulworld said...
I am so happy I read this!! It made my day :) Your a wonderful children's author, and I love how it wasn't one of those kid's stories like "Ted has a ball. The ball is red." It's amazing!